Jiamini is a small, agile non-profit that provides educational resources and comprehensive support to at-risk children in Southern Tanzania. Based in Newala, we are deeply integrated in the local community, working through the public school system to bolster the quality of education available to all students in the area. We move quickly, without bureaucratic barriers. We have expanded our programming and impact consistently over the last fourteen years and are looking for a new Senior Manager of Operations and Development to help shape and fulfill the big aspirations we have for our small organization.
About This Job
Reporting to our Chairwoman of the Board you will work with our co-founders, our Program Officer, and our Academic Officer to coordinate many of the day-to-day activities of the organization in Newala. You will oversee sponsor and donor communications, manage financial and reporting systems,our ongoing programs, develop new capacity, and help us to set the long-term strategy for the organization. You will manage our Program Officer and Academic Officer and be a primary contact for local Jiamini partners, school administrators and teachers, and government officials. You will also interface with our donors, sponsors, and grantors. Your work will be essential in achieving Jiamini's mission to provide brilliant kids with education, health, and safety– empowering them to change their community and society.
This job is based in Newala in southern Tanzania with flexibility to work remotely from another location 50% of your time. The start date is as early as Nov. 1st 2021, and is negotiable.
What You'll Do
- Supervise the daily operations of all Jiamini programs, oversee tutoring and education programs, facilities improvement projects at area schools
- Liaise with the Board of Directors to implement Jiamini’s strategic plan, evaluate new opportunities to support children in Newala, and bring your own creative ideas for programming to life
- Oversee the team in supporting Jiamini students in their academic progress and personal lives – acting as an advocate for them with school officials, guardians, and health workers, as needed.
- Help evolve and execute our fundraising strategy, seek out and apply for institutional grants on the organization's behalf, conceive of and implement fundraising activities, and recruit sponsors for our students
- Directly manage and build the capacity of our Program Officer and Academic Officer by developing their program execution, financial management, and strategic planning skills
- Regularly communicate with donors and sponsors about the progress of our students and programs; finding new ways of communicating the kids’ success, e.g. video, live chat etc.
- Compose quarterly newsletters and our annual report to donors
- Develop and execute systems for measurement and evaluation of our programs, compile reports for grantors and analyze data to make informed decisions about improvements
- Use Salesforce to track our sponsors and students and improve our digital record keeping
- Manage program budget and general finances in Tanzania, oversee tax filings and budget reconciliations
- Improve our social media presence and manage social posts
You will be a great fit for this job if you:
- Are passionate about the power of education to fight poverty transform society and love working with kids
- Interested in innovating at a small, established organization - strengthening our programs, professionalizing our model, and broadening the scope of our work to meet your imagination.
- Comfortable fundraising and connecting with donors
- Have a positive attitude, and are organized, flexible, resourceful, self-managing, and above all solution-oriented
- Collaborative worker who loves problem solving to get outstanding results
- Comfortable living in a rural town that needs your help, with inconsistent electricity and internet, water drawn from a well, and few facilities.
- Understand and respect other cultures and enjoy working with cultural differences
- Fluent in English, some Kiswahili language skills are a bonus
- Have lived on the African continent, preferably in a rural town
- Experience working in one of the following; nonprofits, teaching, social work, or other experience working with kids
- Excellent writing skills
- Grant writing experience
- Basic budgeting and financial record-keeping experience
- Knowledge of SalesForce preferred
- Creativity and drive to start new fundraising initiatives
- $10,500 USD annual salary
- Visa, including attorney costs
- Phone and internet allowance
- Four weeks paid leave annually
- One round-trip flight home after one year of completed service
- Evacuation medical insurance
Jiamini started in 2007 as a non-profit scholarship fund for orphaned and other vulnerable students in Tanzania. Four friends founded the organization eight years ago with a commitment to providing support to children in need. We operate within the Tanzanian educational system to change the lives of our students, improve school facilities, and shape the government's approach to education. We incorporate local teachers and education officials into our work to inform our process with Tanzanian perspective.
Our organization was founded on a core scholarship program that has since grown into working with primary and secondary schools across the Mtwara region and supporting more than 100 students each year at all stages of their education. We work closely with each of the students in our scholarship and other outreach programs. Knowing their individual academic and familial circumstances ensures we can offer support in every aspect of their lives.
About The Team
The Jiamini team is small and agile. Comprised of the four founders, a Program Officer and Academic Officer in Newala, and a group of student teachers and tutors – we work efficiently to maximize the impact our programming has on the community in Newala and the public schools and school system in the Mtwara region. We regularly build new programs and quickly adapt existing ones – without bureaucracy or politics. Each team member provides unique talents and assets that are critical to the success of our organization. We have fun and support one another. Our work is guided by integrity, trust, and heart.
How To Apply
Submit your CV via Idealist or directly to [email protected] Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Salary: Jiamini will also cover: Housing, Evacuation medical insurance, Visa, Phone and internet, One round-trip flight home after one year of completed service