Position: Senior Government Advisor
Reports to: Zanzibar Director
Location: Zanzibar, Tanzania
Start Date: Immediate opening
Who we are
D-tree International is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to high-quality primary healthcare in underserved areas. We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care. D-tree engages with governments to develop a shared vision for the potential of digital health, demonstrates the effectiveness of digital systems to improve health outcomes, and accompanies governments to scale these digital systems nationally and institutionalize them within their broader health systems.
Since 2011, D-tree has partnered with the Zanzibar Ministry of Health to implement an innovative digital health program, Jamii ni Afya (“Community is health”) supporting Community Health Volunteers to provide health services within their communities. This program has consistently demonstrated improved health outcomes, a strengthened community health system, and increased use of data for decision-making. Over time, Jamii ni Afya has grown from a pilot to a national program and has demonstrated how digital technology can transform the quality of a health system. The Zanzibar government has committed to adopt Jamii ni Afya at national scale; integrating digitally-enabled Community Health Volunteers into their formal Community Health Strategy. This represents the world’s first nationally scaled digital community health program, bringing high quality health services to the doorsteps of all of Zanzibar. The digital health program reached full scale in August 2021, allowing D-tree to focus on program sustainability, quality and impact.
An important aspect of our work is ongoing government engagement and capacity building to fully transition Jamii ni Afya to the government in terms of financial, technical and operational management. We bring together partners engaged in various aspects of community and digital health to provide multi-disciplinary support to the government throughout the journey to scale. At the same time, we are serving as a key trusted partner to the government as we collaborate to realize the potential of digital health to strengthen the broader primary health system in Zanzibar. This is an exciting opportunity to help deepen and expand our work and impact.
Who you are
We are seeking a Senior Government Advisor, based in Stone Town, Zanzibar, to lead D-tree’s government engagement initiatives to support institutionalization of Jamii ni Afya and grow our portfolio based on government priorities. You are someone with strong existing relationships with senior officials of the Zanzibar government, particularly within the Ministry of Health and President’s Office. You have a strong understanding of Zanzibar’s government system and know how decisions are made, and you are experienced in developing and implementing strategies to promote government ownership and financial sustainability of programs. You are comfortable and confident in high-level meetings with government, and you enjoy developing and executing program plans and strategies to grow the portfolio and reputation of the organization. You have strong analytical skills and can assess the environment, needs, and opportunities within Zanzibar and then identify strategic opportunities for D-tree. You are a strong public speaker and have the ability to clearly articulate D-tree’s vision and strategically position our work within the broader health landscape in Zanzibar. Finally, you are proactive and a strong communicator, which will foster productive collaboration with colleagues across international time zones.
What you will do
This is a dynamic, challenging and rewarding role requiring an individual with extensive experience working with the Zanzibari government and key stakeholders, with experience transferring donor-driven initiatives to government systems. Your main task will be to garner commitment from the Zanzibar government – including the Ministries of Health and Finance – to fully fund Jamii ni Afya within the next five years and continue to expand the program to bring more comprehensive healthcare to every Zanzibari. You will cultivate relationships with key decision-makers within the government and identify Champions who will advocate for government ownership of Jamii ni Afya. And you will regularly engage with Directors from various MOH departments to advocate for the potential of digital health to transform health systems and identify opportunities for expansion of D-tree programs. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and foster strong relationships with officials at all levels, including within the Zanzibar Ministry of Health and President’s Office, to increase the visibility of Jamii ni Afya and D-tree
- Cultivate relationships with government stakeholders who can act as Champions for government ownership of Jamii ni Afya
- Working closely with the Zanzibar Director, develop and execute a government engagement and advocacy plan for government ownership of Jamii ni Afya
- Represent D-tree to senior government officials, promoting D-tree’s mission and vision as a trusted digital health partner in Zanzibar
- Research and develop presentations and guidance providing practical examples for government-led financing options for community health worker programs
- Stay abreast of potential funding opportunities from multi-lateral funding organizations such as GAVI, Global Fund and World Bank
- Communicate effectively through available fora at regional, district, ward and village level the position and role of D-tree International
- Present project highlights and results at meetings and fora/conferences
We are looking for a motivated, passionate individual who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to support D-tree’s continued growth and quality. The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skillset and attitude.
- Minimum 10 years’ work experience
- Significant experience engaging with Zanzibari government officials at the national level, with a strong understanding of how decisions are made
- Existing relationships with key decision-makers within the Ministry of Health (required) and Ministry of Finance (desired)
- Knowledge of the Zanzibari health sector
- Experience with funding mechanisms supporting government initiatives such as Global Fund, GAVI and World Bank
- Superior analytic skills; ability to think logically and rationally about problems
- Must be able to work independently, multi-task, collaborate with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and spoken Swahili and English
87,750,000 TZS to 135,000,000 TZS gross annual salary inclusive of all cash compensation
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
To apply for this role please fill in the google form here. Only applicants who respond to all questions and include their CV as well as a thoughtful, tailored cover letter will be considered.
This position is open to Tanzanian nationals only