Research Support Specialist (Fixer)
Deadline of this Job:
09 April 2022
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, March 25, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The ideal candidate should be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and have demonstrated experience supporting interview and local travel logistics for a team of up to five. This includes experience scheduling meetings, organizing domestic travel and lodging, and coordinating local transportation. The individual should have strong English and Swahili language skills (reading, speaking, writing). Strong preference for a candidate with digital development experience and experience with USAID, but not necessary. (See qualifications at the end of this document for detailed requirements)
• The DECA is approximately a 6-to-7-month engagement (dependent on country context, time zone considerations) that contains three phases:
• Project Kick-off (2 weeks)
• Review the planning components of the DECA Toolkit, which provides the necessary templates, information, and a step-by-step guide to implementing the DECA.
• Participate in at least one orientation meeting prior to project kick-off. The orientation meeting is intended to provide guidance on the DECA Toolkit and processes.
• Participate in a kick-off meeting with the DECA Research Team and Mission DECA Team to set expectations, identify Mission priorities, and confirm project timeline.
• Adapt DECA interview outreach email template for the Tanzania context including translation from English to Swahili of the outreach email template.
• Throughout the DECA, provide critical local context knowledge and insights.
• As needed, participate in weekly Research Team meetings, including learning discussions focused on DECA iterations.
• As needed, participate in biweekly meetings throughout the project with the DECA Research Team and the Mission DECA Team to ensure regular feedback and open communication and to cultivate Mission ownership of the DECA.
• As needed, support the Senior DECA Manager to ensure clear and consistent communication with the Mission, all communication with the Mission and with other relevant U.S. Government (USG) personnel throughout the project managed by the Senior DECA Manager.
• Deliverables: recognition of responsibilities and deadlines in the project work plan and onboarding documents (detailing process, timeline, tasks, and agreed-upon deadlines), thorough review of DECA Toolkit and associated documents, adapted interview outreach email template.
• Phase 1: Desk Research and Planning/Pre-interviews (4 weeks)
• The goal of this phase is to prepare with the knowledge needed to enter the interview phase well-informed about the country’s context and what gaps need to be filled . To ensure a smooth interview phase, interview identification and initial scheduling, as well as travel and in-person logistics, will occur during the desk research phase. Key tasks include:
• Identify interviewees for the Tanzania DECA, validate any identified stakeholders with the DECA Research Team
• Coordinate with the DECA Research Team to designate interviewees as in-person or virtual
• Start to schedule meetings (in-person and virtual) with the list of target stakeholders identified in collaboration with the DECA Research Team
• Update the DECA Interview Tracker and Scheduling calendar regularly
• Identify and coordinate with a driver and translator, support the procurement processes as needed
• Procure local mobile phones and/or SIM cards for non-local DECA Research Team members as needed
• Develop or collect communications and interview materials as requested by the DECA Research Team
• Support travel logistics as needed (arranging airport pick up/drop off, providing hotel recommendations/quotations)
• Manage logistics for site visits and in-country travel, as needed
• Coordinate with the USAID/Tanzania Mission on logistics as needed, with guidance from the Senior DECA Manager
• Provide other logistical support as requested by the DECA Research Team
• Deliverables: identification of DECA interviewees; regularly updated interview tracker and schedule; procurement of communication devices, drivers, and translators as needed; support travel logistics and other administrative support as needed
• Phase 2: Interviews (4-6 weeks virtual or 2 weeks in-person)
• The Fixer will provide operations and logistics support for both in-person and virtual interviews and may need to attend meetings including with government officials and with USAID/Tanzania staff. Key tasks include:
• Manage all logistics for in-person interviews and DECA Research Team travel including troubleshooting any unforeseen issues
• Manage remaining logistics for site visits and in-country travel, as needed
• Manage interview schedule including meetings, tracking final schedule, and attendees including contact information
• Provide daily schedule updates during in-person interviews.
• Attend interviews and take notes, as needed
• Provide Swahili to English translation during interviews, as needed
• Clean interview notes using interview recordings, as relevant
• Finalize interview documents including notes, recordings (as relevant), schedule, and final list of interviewees with accurate contact information
• Support the Post-Interview Presentation/Recommendations Workshop, including procurement of office supplies or other necessary tasks as needed
• Deliverables: regularly updated interview tracker and schedule; daily schedules for in-person interviews; clean interview notes as needed; translated interview notes as needed; interview recordings as applicable; other interview documents as applicable; final interview tracker with full list of DECA interviewees and accurate contact information; procurement of office supplies or other tasks as needed
• Phase 3: Analysis & Report Writing/Post-interviews (2 weeks)
• Provide process-related feedback to inform future DECAs
• Share any final documentation related to resources or contacts in Tanzania as relevant
• Coordinate final invoicing from translator, driver, and other procurements
• Translate documents from interviews, as needed
• Deliverables: process related feedback; any remaining documentation related to the Tanzania DECA (interview materials, contact information, desk research resources); final invoicing from procurements
• Strong project management and knowledge management skills
• Highly organized and great attention to detail
• Experience supporting logistics and travel coordination
• Based locally in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
• Excellent English written and oral communication skills
• Excellent Swahili written and oral communication skills
• Available to meet during Eastern Standard Time (EST) working hours as needed
• Available to meet during USAID/Tanzania working hours – Eastern African Time (EAT)
• Demonstrated experience as Swahili to English interpreter and translator
• Experience interacting with a range of stakeholders including high-level government and private sector actors
• Experience working with USAID or familiarity with USAID programs and policies
• Experience with digital development
• Experience supporting research assessments
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply follow this link https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=DAINC&cws=1&rid=6848&source=LinkedIn&src=LinkedIn&gns=LinkedIn