Research & Policy Specialist
Jobs at:UONGOZI Institute
Deadline of this Job:
12 July 2020
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Research & Policy Specialist
UONGOZI Institute is a government agency, established in 2010 by the Government of Tanzania and is supported by the Government of Finland, to inspire and equip Tanzanian and African leaders to deliver inclusive and sustainable solutions. This is done through the provision of high-quality executive education (leadership competencies), facilitation of policy dialogues, action-oriented research and technical assistance for public institutions.
The institute is currently seeking to fill the position of Research & Policy Specialist (RPS). Reporting to the CEO, the RPS will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the department of Research and Policy. The RPS will be responsible for the coordination development of operational plans for the department in line with the objectives established in the Institute's strategic plan, their implementation, management, and oversight. The RPS will also be actively engaged in networking and partnership development, as well as, resource mobilization. He will lead a team of professionals and is a member of the Institute's management team.
Duties and responsibilities
• Manage research and policy team
• Oversee the development of the operational plans for the department as a part of the institutes planning.
• Ensure that the plans facilitate the achievement of the strategic objectives established in the Institute's strategy.
• Lead the process of conceptualization and implementation of the various activities of the department (policy forums/dialogues, action research, technical assistance, information sharing).
• Ensure that the department promotes gender equality in its operations.
• Represent the Institution in various events and platforms.
• Ensure timely quality reporting of the department's activities in line with the Institute's reporting processes.
• Budgeting for the departments work and follow up on financial implementation.
• Contribute to the resource mobilisation of the Institute.
• Provide advisory and technical support on the strategic direction of the Institute
• Contribute to the management and strategic direction of the Institute as a key member of the management team.
• Ensure that the department's activities are in line with and support the implementation of all other areas of work of the institute.
• Provide guidance and support the CEO in his interactions with key stakeholders of the Institute.
• Coordinate department's activities (action research, policy forums, advisory services, etc.) while ensuring quality and relevance
• Coordinate studies and research activities including conceptualization, outsourcing and quality assurance.
• Prepare concept notes for studies, policy forums and dialogues
• Preparation of TORs for external facilitators, researchers and consultants.
• Work closely with external consultants and stakeholders to ensure high-quality and policy relevant outputs.
• Prepare presentations and speeches for various stakeholders including specialist and non-specialist audiences.
• Networking with the Institute's stakeholders and resource mobilization activities
• Nurture and build relationships with public sector institutions in order to identify current government priorities to strategic entry points for the Institute.
• Nurture and establish relationships with development partners and other relevant actors to achieve collaboration, cooperation and alliances on programme development and implementation, and resource mobilization.
• Provide substantive input to the development and implementation of the Institute's resource mobilization strategy.
• Provide input to advocacy and public communication strategies.
• Manage personnel under supervision
• Supervise, coach and guide personnel.
• Ensure a common vision aligned with the Institute's strategic plan is shared among the team. Create an enabling work environment and promote team work.
• identify learning and development opportunities
• Leadership – ability to persuade others to follow.
• People management – ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
• Team management – ability to create common vision and well-functioning teams.
• Communication – ability to listen, persuade and transform.
• Delivery – ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
• Stakeholders Management – ability to manage multiple stakeholders and balance often contradictory expectations, building and maintaining relationships.
• Inspiration – ability to inspire colleagues and partners to be innovative and explore ways to do things differently.
• Collaboration and Partnerships – ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships.
• Programme Management – ability to formulate, implement and monitor.
• Operational Management — ability to develop plans, budgets and concept notes and deliver on them.
• Analytical Skills – ability to understand complex situations, good understanding of political economy.
• Results-based Management – ability to link implementation of plans to achieving results.
• Research Management – capacity to identify and manage studies and research.
• Capacity to substantially contribute to undertaking research, Contract Management – ability to manage and oversee outsourced research and other assignments.
• Networking Skills – ability to network with public sector leaders in the highest levels, development partners and private sector representatives.
• Advisory Skills – ability to facilitate advisory services.
• Writing Skills – capacity to tailor and deliver messages in writing in a concise manner.
• Coordination Skills – ability to coordinate implementation of activities (events, forums, assignments).
• Communication – ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders.
• Team Building – ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals.
• Master's degree in social sciences or relevant field. PhD in social sciences or relevant field is an asset.
• 10 years of relevant experience with 8 years in a management position.
• Excellent analytical and writing skills. Proven track record of partnership building and resource mobilization. Solid communication skills and excellent networking skills.
• Fluency in English and Swahili.
• Past experience in writing or coordinating studies, reports articles and research management. Experience in linking research/studies, policy and programming.
• Capacity to manage teams and programmes.
• Good understanding of Tanzanian structures and political economy
Job Qualifications: Not Specified
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should submit their application, comprising of:
Brief statement on the related or similar work as above.
Detailed Curriculum Vitae with contact details for three referees.
Copy of your latest write-up. Copies of certificates.
Above to be submitted to the following address:
Chief Executive Officer
UONGOZI Institute 62 Msasani Road,
Oyster Bay P.O. Box 105753,
Dar es Salaam,
Phone: +255 (0) 22 260 2917 OR through
Email recruitmen[email protected] , with subject line “RESEARCH & POLICY SPECIALIST".
Deadline for Receiving Applications: July 12th, 2020.
UONGOZI Institute is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted