An exciting and unique role making a difference to people’s lives by supporting Transaid’s programmes in East Africa. This role gives you the chance to be a part of programmes that transform people’s lives and develop your ability to manage development programmes.
Responsible to: Programme Support Manager
Responsible for: This role may have technical line management responsibility for consultants and/or UK transport secondees in East Africa.
Location: Dar es Salaam-based, with the possibility of travel to programmes in other East African countries and possibly other locations if required.
Post: Full-time consultant
Salary: Salary negotiable
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Based in Dar es Salaam, you will contribute to the implementation of our programmes and will be able to observe the impact of your work first-hand. You will interact with and grow our existing networks in government, civil society and the private sector. The role may include travel to other parts of the region, and periodic travel to the UK.
It will be your responsibility to ensure that programmes are implemented in the most impactful way possible and that programme costs are controlled effectively. You will be part of a broader UK and Africa-based Programmes Team, and will be expected to engage in regular meetings with this team face to face and online.
As a Project Officer, you will contribute to the preparation and submission of project proposals, and project activity related documentation. This will include monthly status update reports, the development of work plans, progress against Key Performance Indicators as well as some financial reporting.
- You will design and implement projects in collaboration with local partners;
- You will provide technical assistance to programmes;
- You will coordinate, oversee and manage training delivery;
- You will lead robust monitoring and evaluation activities including Key Performance Indicator analysis;
- You will help develop project proposals and write reports;
- You will support the sharing of programmes information and experience;
- You will represent Transaid at a senior level at conferences and workshops;
- You will be a part of relevant research projects and produce programme related literature.
Transaid is seeking a driven, dedicated and determined individual to help make a tangible difference to communities in East Africa. Energy, resilience, and an ability to adapt will also be key qualities for the successful candidate. We will consider all applicants who demonstrate expertise in project management, and a desire to challenge themselves. Experience of working on transport related programmes, in a private sector context and/or civil society would be highly advantageous, as would experience of working with governments and other development partners.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- A knowledge of transport and logistics-related programmes/activities;
- An ability to support multiple projects at the same time;
- A willingness and ability to travel within the East African region (trips up to 6 weeks and sometimes at short notice);
- Previous experience of monitoring and evaluation activities;
- The confidence and ability to produce high quality reports and to develop and manage budgets;
- Strong organisational skills, attention to detail and the ability to multi-task;
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills; A high level of computer literacy; § Project management experience.
- A university degree (undergraduate and/or postgraduate) in a relevant field
- Public or private sector road safety management and/or health experience
Transaid is an international development NGO with over 20 years of experience of working in the transport and logistics sector. Transaid contributes to improving road safety and maximising efficiency through building capacity within the sector, as well as increasing access to health services and essential medicines through implementing emergency transport solutions. Transaid works with government agencies, transporter associations, driver training institutions, the private sector and development partners to deliver sustainable programmes with long-lasting impact.
In East Africa, Transaid currently has long term programmes in Tanzania and Uganda. We are recruiting a Tanzania-based Project Manager to support these programmes, as well as to broaden our support to new programmes in the region. Transaid has a strong track record of working in East Africa.
In Tanzania, Transaid currently works in partnership with the National Institute of Transport to improve truck and bus driver training capacity, and has done since 2010. In Uganda we have implemented programmes that have improved access to health for rural communities, and currently work to improve road safety in the transport sector. In both Uganda and Tanzania, we are currently undertaking a research project to investigate the role that transport corridors play in facilitating human trafficking.
To find out more about Transaid visit our website http://www.transaid.org
Please send a letter of application and CV (no longer than 3 sides in total) to [email protected]
Please mark the subject heading ‘Application for TZ Project Officer Role at Transaid’ .
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 15 th December 2020 .
Interview timings will be communicated individually to all shortlisted applicants.
Expected start date: The ideal expected start date is January 2021 (negotiable).
Note – applicants must have the right to live and work in Tanzania .