The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a Parastatal Organization established by an Act of Parliament No. 23 of 1979 (CAP.59, R.E.2002) and became operational in 1980. NIMR-Mbeya Medical Research Centre (MMRC) is one of the NIMR Centers located in Mbeya within the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital Compound. The Centre is currently conducting research on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, NCDs as well as other diseases of public health importance.
On behalf of the Director General of the National Institute for Medical Research, the Centre Director of NIMR Mbeya is looking for the qualified, experienced and well- motivated personnel to fill the following vacant position whose duty station will be in Mbeya City.
Candidate shall be responsible for implementing research/trial activities including executing informed consenting processes, enrolment and monitoring of study participants. Will assist study investigators in preparing study data, literature reviews, analysis for meeting presentations and publications. He/she shall be responsible in conducting and disseminating scientifically and ethically sound health research that addresses the national health priorities to alleviate health problems for scientific advancement and human wellbeing.
The Medical Doctor will report and work under the Head of TB & Emerging Diseases Department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
i. To provide supervisory clinical management of adverse events among study participants, management of patients receiving Investigational Medicinal Product (IMP) or new diagnostics in various research projects;
ii. To participate in developing sound and fundable research proposals to attract research funding;
iii. To ensure timely submission of study proposals to the relevant ethical and regulatory authorities for review and approval;
iv. To participate in conducting approved health researches (synthesis, data collection, analysis and report writing etc);
v. To disseminate research findings in different formats including but not limited to publishing in peer reviewed journals, scientific conferences etc;
vi. To participate in engagement and collaboration with public and private sectors in the health researches for scientific advancement and improvement of human and social wellbeing;
vii. To participate in local and international scientific forums for exchange and sharing health research information and networking;
viii. To participate in developing and delivering tailor made courses related to his/her area of expertise.
ix. To participate in departmental and centre/directorate administrative and scientific meetings;
x. To participate in appraising performance of his/her subordinates;
xi. To timely prepare and submit quarterly and annual reports;
xii. To participate in review and development of the institute strategic plan, budgeting and setting of national health research priorities; and
xiii. To perform any other relevant duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCES:
• Qualified Medical Doctor from a recognized University;
• At least one year working experience in clinical trial setting;
• Valid professional license from the Medical Council of Tanganyika (MCT);
• Must have a thorough knowledge of clinical research concepts, practices, and regulatory and ICH GCP Guidelines regarding drug/vaccine development phases, clinical research and data management methods;
• Able to work under pressure and multi-tasking settings with high level of integrity
• Strong language skills fluency in written and spoken English and Swahili including presentation skills;
• Good analytical skills and ability to understand complex subjects extract and communicate relevant information from data and documents;
• Ability to prepare report using MS Office software, for internal and stakeholders’ communication;
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to organize time appropriately and effectively;
• Self-motivated, able to work independently under minimal supervision to complete tasks and respond to appropriate project authority requests and to collaborate with others;
• A team player with a strong organization, planning with ability to prioritize tasks for both self and team to meet requirements and deadlines;
• The applicant should be a Tanzanian below 45 years old.
One-year employment contract which may be renewed on the basis of performance and mutual agreement.
The successful candidate will be based at NIMR-Mbeya, Mbeya City.
A competitive salary will be offered as per Government of Tanzania Regulations.
MODE OF APPLICATION
All applications should be enclosed with certified photocopies of relevant certificates and detailed curriculum vitae. Applicants are required to submit their applications not later than two weeks after the first appearance (see the date above) of this advertisement to the address below. Applicants are also reminded to indicate all contact information necessary with which information can reach them easily. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. In case you do not hear from us in two weeks’ time after the closing date consider yourself unsuccessful.
The Centre Director,
NIMR – Mbeya Medical Research Centre,
P.O. Box 2410, Mbeya, Tanzania.