Deadline of this Job:
05 May 2020
Within Tanzania , Dodoma , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Location: Dodoma, United Republic of Tanzania
Duration: One-year fixed term (renewable based on performance) Organizational Location
The post of Driver is located at the UNFPA office in Dodoma and reports to the Admin/Finance Associate and the Programme Analyst, Family Planning, based in Dodoma.
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services for UNFPA officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact, and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Additionally, s/he drives the office vehicle for transporting authorized personnel and the delivery/collection of mail, documents and other items for the UNFPA office in Dodoma region. .
Major Activities/Expected Results
• Drives for UN officials and staff. Ensures the provision of reliable and safe driving services by: a) driving office vehicles for the transport of UN staff, officials and visitors, and the delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including handling visa and customs formalities when required.
• Ensures cost-savings through the proper use of the vehicle through: a) accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, and b) provision of inputs for the preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
• Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, and checking tires, brakes and water levels, car washing, etc. so that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times.
• Ensures proper use of vehicle maintenance plans and assists in preparing vehicle history report.
• Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
• Keeps track of insurance and other tax formalities.
• Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations of UNFPA are taken in cases of an accident.
• When necessary, translates in to the local language for the head of the office and/or official personnel using the car.
• Assists office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required. Assists in the mailing and distribution of newsletters and publications and arranges to pay office telephone and other bills, as required.
• Performs other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Work Relations • Internal contact with UNFPA staff and visiting officials. Collaborates with other drivers at the office.
• External contact relates to pick-ups and deliveries and arrival/departure formalities. May collaborate with other UN Agency Drivers for major functions. Interacts with national and international partners in carrying out his/her duties
• Achieving results
• Being accountable
• Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
• Thinking analytically and strategically
• Working in teams/self-management
• Communicating for impact.
Functional Skill Set
• Providing logistical support
• Managing data
• Managing documents, correspondence and reports
• Managing information and work flow
• Planning, organizing and multitasking.
Languages: Fluency in the language of the duty station; knowledge of the UN language of the duty station.
Education: Completed Secondary Level education.
Knowledge and Experience
• Valid driver’s license
• Three years work experience as a driver at an international organization, embassy or within the UN system with a safe driving record
• Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions
• Skills in minor vehicle repairs.
• Exemplifying integrity
• Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
• Embracing cultural diversity
• Embracing change.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Closing date: 05 May 2020.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY