Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi-Country Office manages a growing portfolio
of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi-based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, and island states.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Support Assistant, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services for the transport of authorized personnel. The Driver has a client-oriented approach, a high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact, and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. This position is located in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, and may be responsible for the following duties.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of the vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
- Immediate action in case of accident
1. Provides reliable and secure driving services by;
a) Driving vehicles safely for the transport of authorized personnel and, in the case of peacekeeping
missions, for the transport of cargo goods and/or hazardous goods vehicles;
b) Collecting and delivering mail, documents and other items; and
c) Meeting official personnel at the airport and facilitating immigration and customs formalities as required.
2. Ensures proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3.Ensures the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle by checking oil, water, battery, brakes, tries, etc.; performing minor repairs and arranging for major repairs; and ensuring that the vehicle is kept clean.
4.Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
5.Ensures that immediate steps as required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe and timely execution of the UNOPS services.
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent is required
- Drivers training with a valid driver’s license is required
- Two years’ work experience as a driver with a safe driving record is required
- Driving and vehicle maintenance skills are required
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs is an asset
- Experience with an NGO or the United Nations is desirable
- First aid training is an asset
Fluency in written and oral English and Swahili language is required. Knowledge of second UN working language desirable
Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Contract level: LICA 2
Contract duration:‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Tanzanian Nationals or persons with valid residence permits
- This position is based in a family duty station
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.