ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews is seeking a Chief of Party for a media strengthening program in Tanzania funded by USAID and the Swiss Cooperation. The program aims to support an open, inclusive environment in which media and civil society provide accurate and impartial information that promotes participation, inclusion and accountability in Tanzania. A core focus of this activity is the engagement and empowerment of women and youth in order to elevate their voices, influence, and issues in the public sphere as both producers and consumers of information. The program also supports community radio stations to improve their capacity and financial viability so they can serve as credible sources of information and as platforms to empower local voices.
The Chief of Party provides strategic guidance and leadership for Internews’ program in Tanzania; coordinates technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensures proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration; and coordinates with other media stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and complements other media development initiatives. The Chief of Party is also responsible for establishing strong partnerships and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives and the Government of Tanzania. They will be based in Tanzania full time for the duration of the program.
Internews has a country office in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Ultimately, this role will be based in Tanzania.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a limited duration position, with an expected end date of July 31, 2023.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Provide leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for Internews’ programs in-country;
- Provide general oversight of the programs, including program management, personnel management, strategic vision, budget management, fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, coordination with partners, and recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track;
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws;
- Supervise the implementation of sub-grants and act as the primary contact person for Internews to international and local sub-grantees;
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation in the country to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities;
- Track and report project progress and activities against work plans on a monthly and quarterly basis;
- Carry out human resource management responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training staff and consultants; planning, assigning, directing and supervising work; and addressing complaints and resolving problems;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations including media houses and civil society organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Ensure programs are in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures;
- Serve as the programs’ primary budget authority, with responsibility for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated;
- Accept fiduciary responsibility for all funds advanced for the purpose of the project;
- Maintain regular contact with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance;
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of media and freedom of information issues in the country;
- Lead fundraising and development activities to advance and enrich programming in the country; and
- In all duties, demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Advanced degree (master’s or higher) in media and communications, international development, rule of law, social sciences, management, or a related field
- 10 years of progressively responsible media development experience, including working with media organizations and senior program management experience OR 10 years senior level management experience in the design, implementation and management of programs of similar size, complexity and setting
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience in building and maintaining productive working relationships with a wide network of institutional partners and stakeholders, including host governments
- Experience with USAID- and/or US government-funded programs
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Fluency in Swahili, and able to represent the program in meetings with partners and government representatives in Swahili
- Relevant experience in Tanzania or East Africa preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supervising and supporting senior managerial staff
- Experience in fundraising and development of innovative program concepts
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment both virtually and in person, including with colleagues in different time zones