Project Officer – Zanzibar- (LEAP) (NPSA8)
Deadline of this Job:
07 April 2022
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
UNDP proposes to continue its support to the Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar, in strengthening and reforming the criminal justice system through the Legal Empowerment and Access to Justice Programme (LEAP). The overall objective of LEAP is to strengthen access to justice, rule of law and promoting human rights to achieve sustainable human development and eradicate extreme poverty. This support is in line with Zanzibar’s Development Plan objectives to i) improve corruption prevention and investigation system, ii) adherence to human rights principles, iii) strengthening public participation in decision making, and iv) strengthening civil and criminal justice systems, and URT’s FYDP III’s objectives related interventions on i) Good Governance and Rule of Law and ii) effective and efficient justice service delivery system. The project will contribute to Zanzibar Vision 2050 Pillar IV on Governance and Resilience, and SDG 5, 10 and 16. In facilitating the effective implementation of the project, UNDP is recruiting a Project Officer to work closely with President’s Office, Constitution, Legal Affairs, Public Service and Good Governance (POCLAPSGG) in ensuring the achievement of the project results. Under the guidance and supervision of the Technical Specialist, the National Project Officer shall work in close coordination/collaboration with the UNDP Governance Pillar and the UN Sub-Office in Zanzibar and is expected to establish and maintain direct, daily working relationships with institutions in the justice sector and other organizations identified under the project in ensuring proper planning, technical preparation, implementation and monitoring of activities. The incumbent is also expected to coordinate teams of individual and technical experts who will support the project in the development of strategic documents, tools and systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Serve as liaison between UNDP and the Justice sector in Zanzibar ensuring the effective and timely communication and action on issues relevant to the project including optimal cooperation and collaboration of partners;
• Assume the responsibility of the planning and conduct of the planning meeting as well as and board meetings as well as timely preparation and submission of the reports to UNDP;
• Provide technical and coordination support to POCLAPSGG in the implementation of planned activities under the LEAP project and the Annual Work Plan;
• In cooperation with UNDP ensures effective administration and financing of the programme;
• Provide technical support to POCLAPSGG in the preparation and timely submission of periodic project report to UNDP;
• Support the delivery of quality project outputs through quality preparation of annual and quarterly workplans, including budgets;
• Ensure that project implementation complies with UNDP programme and financial management standards and procedures.
• Institutional Arrangement
• The Project Officer will work under the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist- Governance. The incumbent will be part of the UNDP Office in Zanzibar and will also liaise closely with the Head of the Zanzibar Sub-office in undertaking the project activities.
• Achieve Results: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
• Think Innovatively: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
• Learn Continuously: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
• Adapt with Agility: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
• Act with Determination: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
• Engage and Partner: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
• Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
• Resource mobilization:
• Ability to identify funding sources, match funding needs (programmes/projects/initiatives) with funding opportunities, and establish a plan to meet funding requirements.
• CSO engagement:
• Knowledge and understanding of CSOs and the ability to engage with CSOs Civil Society Engagement: Civil Society Engagement.
• Human Rights /HRBA:
• Human Rights /HRBA.
• Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results.
• Project Management:
• Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
• Aid Coordination:
• Aid Coordination.
Required Skills and Experience
• Master’s Degree in Social Sciences or any related field. A first level university degree with additional qualifying years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced level degree.
• Additional qualification in law is an asset
• Minimum 2 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of professional relevant experience in the field of public or legal sectors reforms, policy development, national planning, resource mobilization, and capacity development is required;
• Experience in the law enforcement sector;
• Knowledge and experience in project management;
• Proven experience in project cycle management in large projects including budget planning, financial management, monitoring and evaluation, with strong project reporting skills;
• Ability to conceptualize, develop and plan as well as transfer knowledge and skills;
• Excellent interpersonal skills with experience in networking with partners at all levels;
• Excellent communication and advocacy skills;
• Experience in reporting on donor funded projects.
• Required Language(s):
• Fluent written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of Kiswahili is an asset.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply follow this link https://estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/job/2904/?utm_medium=jobshare