Program Assistant – Media (Zanzibar)
Jobs at:Search for Common Ground
Deadline of this Job:
31 December 2020
Within Tanzania , Zanzibar , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, December 11, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Program Assistant – Media (Zanzibar)
Zanzibar, Tanzania /
Programs – Africa – Central & East /
Full Time – Local
Support the Program officer in management and implementation of all media aspects of the two projects. S/he will also support other Search Tanzania media work as required. S/he will work under the direct supervision of the Projects Coordinator in close coordination with the Program Officer/Focal Points, Design Monitoring and Evaluation (DM&E) Officer as well as the Area Manager as required
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with the Program Officer/Focal Points in Zanzibar, DM&E Officer and Area Manager and Assistant media officer (Dar) for;
• Effective planning and implementation of media activities;
• Support the day-to-day media activities of Search projects, including planning, logistics, and oversight;
• Under the supervision of the Projects Coordinator, design and implement a multi-media campaign under the projects;
• Work with the Project Coordinator, Finance and Compliance Officer to negotiate with radio and television channels to broadcast
• Search activities, as well as to market and distribute media products via traditional and new media;
• Work with Search’s Regional/HeadQuarters Communications team to ensure media aspects of the country’s activities are shared, internally and externally;
• Be the focal point for search Zanzibar, ensuring that real-time updates of activity highlights are posted on social media, including Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp groups;
• Work with the DM&E Officer to develop tools for tracking and evaluating media activities and participate in data collection, and conducting listenership surveys as requested;
• Compile and submit monthly Media Activity Reports;
• Meet regularly with Project Coordinator to review progress of projects against project objectives, indicators and deliverables, and give meaningful input and recommendations into the project management and institutional learning;
• Collation of media logs for media programs;
• Working with Program Officer/Focal Points to update real time and other content on Search’s social media platforms;
• Travel to communities regularly to ensure media activities are on track and to troubleshoot as needed;
• Be directly engaged in the continuing development of the organization, its mission, and its staff, through the sharing of experience and knowledge
• Provides comments and suggestions when deemed necessary to all other activities such as resource mobilization, project conceptualization, fund sourcing, and other related strategic endeavors as required of the project.
• Contribute to organizational learning and enhanced capacity in planned intervention and activities by providing feedback to the team on things and areas that are to be improved
Skills and Competencies
• A Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication, Journalism, Theater Arts or a related field
• Professional knowledge and experience in using and applying social media in programming;
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• At least two (2) years of INGO or CSO experience in Communication, Journalism or Theater Arts
• Demonstrated technical capacity to provide support and guidance to project staff on design and
• implementation of radio, television and other media programs;
• Ability to successfully facilitate trainings and dialogues using participatory methods;
• High standards of integrity, professionalism, and impartiality;
• The ability to work independently and effectively in a team environment;
• A proven track record of being proactive;
• The ability to multi-task and work to meet tight deadlines;
• Proficient in use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, e-studio as well as web browsers;
• Fluency in Kiswahili and English, both verbally and in writing;
• The ability to travel across project areas
• At least 2 years’ experience working for an NGO in an administrative or program capacity
• Ability to communicate effectively, confidently and appropriately within a cross-cultural environment
• Strong documentation skills including report writing and minute taking
• Fluency in English and Kiswahili, both verbal and written is essential
• Must have good analytical skills
• Good organizational skills a must, with a demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision
• Demonstrated ability to manage data, develop budgets and track finances
• Demonstrated ability in use of Microsoft Office computer packages
• Experience working and living in Zanzibar required
• Working with People : The ability to respect the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy, listens, supports; consults others and shares information and expertise, builds team spirit and adapts to the team.
• Flexibility: The ability to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities, to tolerate ambiguity, to adapt personal style to different people and situations.
• Drive for Results and Efficiency : The ability to set quality standards, monitor and maintain quality of work, and set goals to achieve continuous improvement.
• Relationship Managemen t: The ability to manage interactions, to provide service and to support the organization while building an effective internal and external network.
• Leadership and Navigation : The ability to manage and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organization while making progress toward change and continuous improvement.
• Communication: The ability to effectively exchange information with others, to effectively deliver critical information, to gather information and communicate with others.
• Global and Cultural Effectiveness: The ability to value and consider the perspectives and backgrounds of all parties and be able to work cross-culturally.
• Ethical Practice: The ability to integrate Search vision, mission and core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
• Business Acumen : The ability to understand and apply information to contribute to the organization's strategic plan.
Other Requirements & Deadline
• This position is open to residents of Zanzibar only and a salary of between USD 500 – 600
• Deadline for Application is 31st December 2020.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website http://www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity – Empathy – Impartiality – Inclusivity – Courage – Hope – Humility – Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience Requirements: 2 years
Job application procedure
Click here to apply: https://jobs.lever.co/sfcg/00bebc15-d504-4621-b180-0aab44d998a2