Jobs at:World Bank
Deadline of this Job:
10 May 2022
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Africa Urban and DRM Unit would like to engage a versatile Municipal Engineer with experience in infrastructure. The selected candidate will be expected to play a dual role as technical specialist covering urban and DRM issues and will bring strong civil/municipal engineering skills and experience. The selected candidate will help support management in the development of coherent interventions to be supported by the Bank. Effective program supervision and implementation will be the primary focus areas of the job. The main focus will be the Tanzania portfolio, although the responsibilities may include other countries in the region.
Duties & Accountabilities:
• The selected candidate will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and is expected to perform the following duties:
• Support the operational aspects of the preparation, appraisal, and negotiations of Urban/DRM lending operations, including Sector Investment Projects and Technical Assistance activities in the portfolio.
• Support project supervision for the Urban/DRM investment operation, including reviewing Terms of Reference (TORs), specifications and bidding documents, and participate in supervision mission and the preparation of internal report documentation – with a particular emphasis on the engineering aspects.
• Contribute to the overall strategic program development within the Africa Urban and DRM programs
• Respond to information requests from internal and external parties and provide input and/or prepare diverse operational products/outputs as needed.
• Support the projects team’s communication with client counterparts including: (a) drafting and filing correspondence with clients; and (b) planning and organizing missions.
• Support mission preparation and monitoring documents including (a) mission statement; (b) Aide memoires; (c) Back to Office reports; and (d) Implementation Status and Completion Reports
• Travel across local government agencies (LGAs) to supervise quality of infrastructure sub-project implementation and provide advice and recommendations.
• Provide guidance to government counterparts at all levels regarding contract management for infrastructure works.
• Advise government counterpart and Bank team on matters related to infrastructure quality at LGA level, supervise the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to Bank standards; evaluate studies and sector-related project documentation.
• Coordinate closely with Bank teams across different GPs and the Country Management Unit (CMU) as well as with Development Partners investments and contract administration to support the program described above.
• Advanced degree (PhD or Master’s) in engineering
• At least 5 years of specific professional experience in one or more of infrastructure sectors, including transport, urban development or water with substantial experience with operations and maintenance, infrastructure work, and contract management
• Demonstrates strong integrative thinking and ability to support project teams in developing of an integrated point of view around development challenge
• Possesses political judgment, diplomatic acumen, and negotiating skills.
• Applies cross-country development knowledge to discussions with clients and development partners.
• Anticipates needs and requests in the field and develop/offer relevant tools to clients.
• Conducts independent policy discussions with representatives of the government and non-government partners on selected policy issues. Leads task teams, participate in formal negotiations, and assist government in establishing priorities
• Understands policy making process and the role of own sector of expertise in that process.
• Demonstrates a foundational familiarity with the urban policies, strategies, local government and institutions relevant to the project or analytical work.
• Demonstrates a foundational knowledge of urban services delivery and applies it to urban services delivery knowledge to operations and analytical work.Knows current state-of-the-art work on Urban Services Delivery and brings it to bear on assignments.
• Experience and understanding of the World Bank’s operations and full range of Bank products and services, and up-to-date knowledge of the Bank’s operational policies and processes is desirable.
• Proven track record in Bank operations or other IFI funded operations is a bonus.
• Tailors communication style to meet audience needs and deliver information effectively in support of team or workgroup.
• Leverage all information available in support of team or workgroup.
• Has excellent analytical writing ability
• Fluency in English (spoken and written) is required.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply follow this link https://worldbankgroup.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=17219&site=1