Assist the Africa Tax Manager to effectively manage the taxes of the sub-regional operations in line with the tax framework (policies, procedures, etc.) defined by Global Tax Manager
Knowledge Skills and Abilities, Key Responsibilities:
Tax Reporting and Compliance (direct and indirect taxes)
- Liaise with local finance team in each country every month end to accurately review the monthly tax computations & ensure HFM validation as per agreed deadline in respect of monthly tax reporting of all the sub-regional operating entities.
- Ensure correct monthly accounting of VAT & other taxes in local accounts (including tax provisions, WHT, petroleum tax levies, etc) in Tanzania and liaise with the finance team in other sub-regional countries to review same and provide feedback on the necessary reconciliations.
- Ensure accurate and timely filing of direct tax returns (including provisional, annual, WHT) for all the entities in the sub-region.
- Ensure correct and timely filing of VAT/Sales tax returns and other local taxes returns for all the entities within the sub-region.
Tax advisory support and tax planning
- Monitoring implementation of the tax strategy for material increase of the Group’s operational activities taking into consideration the use of technological innovations (e.g. ePuma, eAviation) and specific anti-avoidance rules in local countries.
- Pro-actively provide day-to-day practical and insightful guidance & support on expansions via acquisition and organic growth projects & new lines of business (e.g. Infrastructure, Future energies).
- Monitoring Implementation of central Transfer pricing policy at sub-regional level and preparation of local transfer pricing documentation.
- Monitoring implementation of tax benefits in respect of the recharges of management/service fees and brand licence fees to local opcos.
Tax working capital – Cash flow and cost management
- Implement & integrate in tax control processes, regional tax cash flow system on all within tax scope receivables & payables.
- Work with & provide guidance to local finance teams to achieve material reduction of mainly indirect & direct tax receivables.
- Pre-actively monitor and follow up with local tax authorities (and consultant, where relevant) to push for full recovery of all submitted tax refund claims.
- Provide monthly feedback report explaining all material indirect tax movements in the tax balances for all the sub-regional entities for monthly tax receivables reporting.
Tax audit defense & Tax risk management
- Keep abreast with new tax developments in the sub-regional countries, particularly the direct/indirect tax changes impacting Puma downstream business.
- Ensure professional & productive working relationship with the tax administration of the sub-region.
- Accurately follow up with the finance team of your countries on an annual basis to ensure the review & completion of their tax meeting checklist form and monthly status review of the tax risk register for each entity of the sub-region.
- Take accountability for any follow up with the tax authorities in order to clear any query prior or during the tax audit process – this includes monthly review of the statement of account for the entities with the authorities and reconciling their tax receivables/payable status with the entities’ books.
Education & Experience:
- Degree in Tax/Accounting/Law
- At least 5-7 years’ experience in Tax, preferably within a tax audit division of a tax administration.
- Good knowledge of mid & downstream oil & gas’ indirect taxes in the sub-region would be an advantage
Skills & competencies:
- High potential profile
- Team player with ability to deal effectively with non-tax people
- Good verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate complex information
- Exposure to working in a large taxpayer office of a tax administration and having a good acumen for business
- Can work independently with strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Good command of English is a requirement.
- Ability to travel within the sub-region.
Key Relationships and Department Overview:
- Internal – Global Tax Team, Sub-Regional GM and FM
- External – Auditors and tax/legal advisers