Revenue Administration Advisor - The Regional Capacity Development Center for East Africa (AFRITAC East - AFE)
Jobs at:International Monetary Fund
Deadline of this Job:
20 September 2021
Within Kenya , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, September 10, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Work for the IMF. Work for the World.
The Fiscal Affairs Department (FAD) of the T International Monetary Fund is seeking to fill the position of revenue administration advisor at the Regional Capacity Development Center in East Africa (AFRITAC East or AFE), based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The advisor will provide support to Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda. Depending on travel restrictions linked to the COVID-19 pandemic, the advisor may have to work remotely from their home country until restrictions are lifted.
The successful candidate will be appointed for a period of one year. The contract may be renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. It is expected that sufficient funding will be available for the advisor to spend around three years in the position.
The authorities in Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda are all working on medium-term revenue strategies (MTRS) aimed at raising higher levels of revenue as a percent of GDP. The revenue administration advisor will assist the four countries to develop and implement relevant medium-term revenue strategies (MTRS) under economic conditions heavily impacted by the pandemic.
The advisor’s primary responsibilities will be to: (i) assist the countries to set up necessary governance frameworks to support the development of medium term strategies; (ii) assist the countries to establish medium term revenue targets and objectives; (iii) coordinate the delivery of diagnostic, review and research inputs required to inform the development of the revenue strategies; (iii) support the authorities to priorities compliance and reform measures to support the MTRS; (iv) assist the authorities to implement and update the revenue strategies for the impact of COVID 19 pandemic and other adverse economic conditions; (v) review progress to achieve MTRS revenue targets; and (vi) coordinate with other technical assistance providers working in the region and their experts.
The technical skills and qualifications required for this position include high level of knowledge in the following areas:
• Legislative and regulatory environment for tax and/or customs administrations
• Organization, strategic management systems including strategic planning and performance management in tax or customs agencies/departments.
• International good practices in tax or customs administration including developing and implementing a comprehensive compliance management program.
• Policies and activities in the operations of all core tax or customs administrative functions including registration and taxpayer services, collections and returns processing, audit, collections enforcement, customs clearance, risk-based control selectivity, goods valuation, trade facilitation, post-clearance audit, anti-smuggling programs, objections and appeals and rulings and interpretations.
• Microsoft office tools and software. Knowledge in analytical software tools and database management would be an advantage, as would knowledge of new digital tools and applications to support field operations and improve taxpayers’ and traders’ compliance.
• Effective project management including planning, budgeting, and reporting.
Applicants should have extensive practical experience in the above areas with at least five years in a senior position within a revenue/tax or customs administration. Preference will be given to applicants who have an all-round experience in managing tax or customs operations; have experience in developing revenue strategies; have participated in tax or customs administration reform programs; have experience in managing/overseeing capacity development work and coordinating with other providers of capacity development; have experience working with Ministries of Finance (or equivalent) harmonizing revenue administration implementation with tax policy; and are aware of the issues and challenges facing tax and/or customs administration reformers in the African region. Previous experience of capacity building in the tax or customs administration area (such as participating in revenue administration capacity development activities and organizing and conducting training courses and workshops) would be an advantage.
General qualifications for candidates include:
• A university degree in a relevant field and/or five years of professional experience within a revenue/tax or customs administration or international organization providing TA on revenue policy and administrative matters.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work as part of a team, to maintain effective and cooperative relations with national authorities and with donors, and to handle sensitive issues with discretion in a multicultural environment.
• Full proficiency in English with excellent written and oral communication skills; knowledge of French, Spanish or Portuguese would be an advantage.
• Strong oral and written communication skills, particularly presentational capabilities to deliver effective seminars and training events.
• Demonstrated strong organizational and planning skills with ability to manage budget and other resources effectively and flexibly, ensuring timing and quality compliance with reporting requirements while working with considerable autonomy.
• Previous experience of capacity building in the tax or customs administration area (such as participating in revenue administration technical assistance activities and organizing and conducting training courses and workshops) would be an advantage.
• A willingness to travel extensively in the region is required.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Apply at: https://imf.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/IMF/job/Tanzania/Revenue-Administration-Advisor---The-Regional-Capacity-Development-Center-for-East-Africa--AFRITAC-East---AFE---based-in-Dar-es-Salaam--Tanzania_21-R1687/apply