Junior Consultant – Migration Data and Research
Deadline of this Job:
13 December 2020
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Junior Consultant – Migration Data and Research Terms of Reference
Assignment Title: Junior Consultant – Migration Data and Research
Duty Station : IOM Tanzania, Dar es Salaam
Type of Appointment : Consultancy Contract
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations. As the leading UN agency in the field of migration, it works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. .
IOM Tanzania is implementing the Africa Regional Migration Programme (ARMP) – funded by the United States Bureau for Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM). The programme has three key pillars of (i) migration management, (ii) partnerships, and (iii) Crisis response and Its currently being implemented in 19 African Countries. The ARMP focuses on strengthening Governmental structures, policies, processes, and approaches that can ensure sustainable and humane migration management using evidence-based protocols, processes, and procedures.
In this context, IOM Tanzania seeks to hire a Consultant to coordinate and support strengthening the capacity-building portfolio in migration data of relevant national governmental bodies in Tanzanian Mainland and Zanzibar. The consultant will also provide support to the research team in all aspects of performing qualitative and quantitative data collection that are part of this study on the migration dynamics and migrant characteristics of Ethiopians and Somalis transiting through Tanzania along the Southern Route. The consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
The objective of the consultancy:
In coordination with the Programme Coordinator, the Consultant is expected to produce the following deliverables:
• Advise and assist the Mission to facilitate the establishment of a technical working group aiming to map and define existing migration data sources across the various line ministries to inform reporting and strengthen understanding of the migration dynamics and its characteristics across the country
• Advise and assist the Mission’s support to the national statistics offices (NBS and OCGS) in monitoring progress towards the Agenda 2030 targets. Through the Voluntary National review and localized voluntary national reviews, including streamlining migration data indicators therein.
• Advise and assist the Mission with integrating migration data in the national statistics offices (NBS and OCGS) strategic plans, developing migration profiles, and including migration and displacement statistics issues.
• Conduct an in-depth assessment and analysis of the national statistics offices (NBS and OCGS) migration data capacity needs. Identify gaps in existing migration data, specific data needs for national and international migration policymaking, and relevant actors’ migration data capacities.
• Identify gaps in existing migration data, specific data needs for national and international migration policymaking, and capacities of relevant actors on migration data
• Support an update of the IOM study on the irregular migration of Horn of Africa migrants on the southern route. The consultant will:
o Contribute to the southern route study methodology design, including (i) writing study concept notes, (ii) developing data collection tools, (iii) conduct qualitative Key Informants (KIs) interviews and other Focus Group Discussions (FDGs) as per methodology design and (iv) Transcription of interviews.
o Oversee data cleaning and data editing and data validation. Clean and analyze data for rigorous research and policy writing; In addition to conduct literature reviews and synthesize evidence, the consultant will liaise and coordinate with identified primary respondents.
o Conduct desk research focusing on the southern migration route, including consolidating the desk research and interviews’ findings.
o Maintain regular contact with the research team through drafting survey notes and managing survey reports and databases.
o Ensure compliance with survey activities standards and regulations; And compliance with ethical standards and standards of conducts, including IOM data protection principles.
o Support in quantitative and qualitative data analysis, report writing, and revision process.
o Liaise closely with the research team and support the administrative requirements to organize the field work and related deployments
• Master’s degree in Migration Studies, Development Studies, Statistics, Geography, or other related fields.
• Demonstrated interest, and preferably experience, in issues relating to migration, forced displacement, international development, and knowledge of migration data policy
• Experience with primary data collection (KI interviews and FGDs), policy writing, and training in qualitative methods is desired.
• Good knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methodologies
• Good knowledge of data validation and data coding and querying 6) Ability to quickly identify patterns and deviations in collected data
• Sound understanding of migration issues.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Prior experience in migration data in the East Africa region.
• Project planning
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with all levels of staff and management
• Good ability to prepare clearly written technical and analytical reports for senior management
• Capacity to organize fieldwork and manage logistics and administrative procedures
• Attention to detail
• Efficient in time management
• Approaching problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm, and innovation.
• Focused, organized, and having an ability to plan and manage own workload 5) Attention to detail and with high standards of accuracy in all aspects of work.
• Ability to work under pressure
• Analytical and critical thinking
• Team player
Thorough knowledge of English and Swahili is required. Having a working knowledge of Amharic and/or Somali is a distinct advantage.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to email address: [email protected]
Only e-mail applications will be considered.
The deadline for submitting the application is 13 December 2020
“All the vacancies announced by IOM Tanzania are completely free and candidates are not at any point requested to pay a fee for applying or during the recruitment process’’