Job Title: Journalist/Producer
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reports to: Senior Producer
Duration: 12 months
10 August 2020
Overview of the role
We’re seeking a journalist/producer that is an experienced, creative and dynamic individual who understands editorial values and can demonstrate that they have upheld them in their previous work. S/he will be responsible for accessing content from journalists of the partner stations, recruiting studio guests and working closely with the presenter and senior producer to realise the content vision of the programme.
The national journalist/producer will be entrusted with producing a programme of high editorial and technical quality. Together with the senior producer, s/he will encourage the partner stations to rebroadcast the national programme, promoting it to their audiences for added impact.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Gather and verify factual information for weekly programme topics through research, observation and interview of show participants
- Organise materials, determine approach or emphasis, according to prescribed editorial style and format standards
- Work cooperatively with the production team and partners on assigned stories
- Assist production staff in preparing content for the show’s multimedia platforms
- Presenting on Haba na Haba (Little by Little) radio programme
- Understand and comply with our Safeguarding policy and the staff Code of Conduct.
- Participate in relevant mandatory training on Safeguarding and Respect at Work.
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Country Director, or using the organisations Whistleblowing Policy.
Required skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ working experience in media
- A degree in journalism or related field
- Experience working on a radio production
- Good presenting and editing skills
- The ability to develop original ideas that will be covered in Haba na Haba programmes
- Prior experience with an internationally reputable Swahili broadcaster.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Managing relationships and teamwork: able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works cooperatively with others to be part of a team. Values individual's differences and demonstrates a commitment to knowledge sharing and informal learning, for the benefit of the team.
- Strategic thinking: Able to identify a vision and create plans for the implementation of that vision to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, and issues in the short, medium and long-term
- Leadership: Ability to inspire others to realize an identified vision.
- Analytical thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks for problem-solving and/or development.
- Change management: Able to understand and anticipate the need for change and to build frameworks for planning and managing the continuous process of change.
- Planning and organization: Able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others; planning of activities considering all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
The BBC is an equal opportunity employer.
“ This role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children and adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check may form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people .”
MODE OF APPLICATION:
Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English by email to:
– please include the title of the position applied for in the subject line and
send by 5 pm on Monday 10 August 2020
. Only applicants with a separate cover
letter will be considered.
Please do not send certificates or other attachments. These are local posts applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in Tanzania and national terms and conditions will apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.