Who we are?
The Norwegian Association of Disabled (NAD) is an independent human rights organisation of persons with disabilities working for equal rights and full participation for persons with disabilities. NAD is engaged in international development. We work to build the capacity of persons with disabilities and their organisations so that they are empowered to promote their human rights and to promote and support disability inclusion. NAD is currently establishing an Economic Empowerment programme in Zanzibar, based on experiences from the iSAVE Inclusive Economic Empowerment Programme that has been successfully built in Uganda. Simultaneously, NAD is establishing a presence in Zanzibar by registering as an NGO. NAD has existing programmes in Zanzibar managed by MECP-Z focusing on human rights advocacy and inclusive education.
Purpose of the position
The Norwegian Association of Disabled (NAD) is seeking to engage a competent and motivated Economic Empowerment Programme (EEP) Coordinator to lead the establishment of a Kijaluba iSAVE Zanzibar Project; a Savings Groups-based intervention that targets the inclusion of persons with disabilities in Zanzibar. The EEP Coordinator will also take a lead in the registration of NAD as an NGO in Zanzibar. The EEP Coordinator will liaise closely with the NAD Economic Empowerment Technical Adviser based in Kampala, Uganda, as well as the Senior Adviser responsible for the Zanzibar programme based in Oslo, Norway. The position has a 2-year initial timeframe, with a 6-month probation period, and the possibility of extension after the initial pilot phase based on performance and the funding situation of NAD.
The programme will largely be developed and implemented by local partners, with technical support from NAD.
Key duties and responsibilities of the EEP Coordinator:
Establishing a NAD presence in Zanzibar:
1) Lead the process of registering NAD as an NGO in Zanzibar, and the administrative tasks this entails
2) Make practical arrangements to establish the office arrangements suitable for a one-person team
3) Establish suitable contract with external accounting team to be responsible for accounting
Economic Empowerment technical support:
1) Provide technical guidance on the start-up and implementation of the Kijaluba iSAVE Zanzibar Project.
2) Facilitate capacity building, learning and knowledge transfer among the key project stakeholders.
3) Organize an effective monitoring and evaluation system for the project and support the stakeholder teams in implementing the system.
4) Coordinate periodic participatory planning and budgeting processes.
5) Manage the consolidation of the Kijaluba iSAVE Zanzibar Project reports in accordance with the established NAD results framework to ensure compliance to accuracy, high quality and timeliness.
6) Coordinate project research and evaluations as required.
7) Strategy formulation on project outreach mechanisms, safety of groups’ funds, financial inclusion, youth empowerment, gender equality and equity, disability retention, partnership building and project sustainability among others.
8) Spearhead project advocacy strategy development through analysis of existing laws, policies, plans and interventions, developing position papers and guiding the partners on partnerships within the project context; targeting relevant practitioners, service provides, apex bodies, policy makers, CSOs and the private sector.
9) Participate in project resource mobilization efforts to secure continuity.
NAD is seeking a candidate with the following qualifications:
- Higher education in a relevant field such as Business Administration, Social Work, Community Development, Social Science and Development Studies.
- A minimum of 6 years relevant experience in project design, implementation and management processes of development projects, preferably linked to Economic Empowerment
- In-depth knowledge of community-led microfinance initiatives.
- Experience in the field of disability and community development is an advantage
- A proven record of leadership and management of projects
Other competencies NAD is seeking are:
- Ability to work independently, timely delivery on deadlines.
- Ability to motivate, build capacity of partners to deliver positive change
- Proven ability to work with vulnerable groups, especially persons with disabilities
- Good communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work on results-based project planning and reporting.
- Ability to build teamwork, create networks and use facts-based advocacy.
- Persons with lived experience of disability are especially encouraged to apply
How to apply
Email your CV and cover letter in PDF format to [email protected] Please do not exceed 6 pages in total. Please use the subject line “NAD Economic Empowerment Programme Coordinator - Zanzibar”. The deadline for applications is 15 th May 2022. Applications can be addressed to the Head of International Department. Successful applicants will be contacted.
NAD is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics. We value diversity and are committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position. All staff are expected to follow and adhere to NAD policies and guidelines.