WASH Officer – Hygiene Promotion
Jobs at:Norwegian Refugee Council
Deadline of this Job:
16 July 2021
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, July 12, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Being an employee of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Tanzania, the WASH Officer is expected to represent NRC in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with NRC’s Code of Conduct.
• Help plan and carry out needs assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies, and feedback findings to the stakeholders.
• Help plan hygiene promotion activities within the institutions in the camps and in the refugee camp to reduce WASH-related risks.
• Coordinate with the other WASH Officers and other Implementing Partners in the camp to ensure that the various aspects of the WASH response are integrated.
• To represent NRC in co-ordination meetings with the other IPs, section and leaders and other stakeholders
• Preparation of reports, guidelines and other strategic documentation. Participate actively in proposal developments
• Facilitate formation of school and environmental health clubs in liaison with the club patrons to help promote safe WASH practices
• Undertake trainings on hygiene promotion for the school health club members, health club patrons, hygiene promotion incentive staff and the vector control team
• Assist in developing relevant IEC materials that will be used for training and in carrying out hygiene promotion activities within the camp.
• Development of rapid response and contingency plans, to include emergency preparedness plan for cholera outbreaks, sudden refugee influx
• Assess and advise on capacity building needs within the team to ensure effective developments of the quality standards for hygiene promotion staff.
• Design an appropriate vector control strategy that is cost effective and will take into consideration environmentally friendly techniques. Will be required to take lead in the carrying out indoor residual spraying.
• Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH programme.
• Help identify needs for hygiene and sanitation items for institutions including the health centers, hospital and other informal schools.
• Collect relevant health data on WASH related illness to be able to monitor on the impact of the public health promotion programme
• Supervise Hygiene Promotion activities in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
• Use participatory approaches as a far as possible throughout the programme cycle, in training, and in the use of tool kits and other materials.
• Supervise Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion activities and resources so that they are implemented and handed over or ended in a way that promotes local capacities and sustainable operations.
• Take account of gender, protection, HIV, the environment, and other important cross-cutting concerns in programme design, implementation, and reporting; carry out activities in a way that reflects the needs of specific groups and individuals e.g. elderly people, minority groups, children, and people with disabilities.
• Any other assignment as may be required by the WASH Project Coordinator or Programme Development Manager
• Technical background in Public Health. First degree or postgraduate diploma in Environmental Health/Environmental science and management or similar relevant discipline.
• Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of WASH Programmes of at least 3 years’ experience in a humanitarian and development programme preferably with an INGO.
• Experience in undertaking hygiene promotion in a relief programme is essential.
• Proven ability to use MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) is essential. Experience with other computer programs such as SAP 2000 and Microsoft Project would be an advantage.
• Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated programme.
• Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information
• Possession of strong administrative and management skills with a willingness to follow relevant policies and procedures
• Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups
• Political and cultural awareness and experience of working where insecurity is a major issue
• Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential; fluency in Kiswahili is highly desirable.
• Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
• Understanding of international health and development and relief issues
• Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations (minority groups etc)
• Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply visit: https://ekum.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/requisitions/job/2482/?location=Tanzania%252C+United+Republic+of&locationId=300000000311161&locationLevel=country