UNFPA Application for Youth Advisory Panel (YAP) Membership December, 2020
Deadline of this Job:
20 December 2020
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
UNFPA believes that investing in young people is an important strategy towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) Programme of Action.
Young people have unique insights and perspectives that can drive more effective policy and programming, and ensure that government commitments are fulfilled. In improving the policy environment for greater investment in youth, one of UNFPA’s key strategies is to promote youth leadership and participation through the Youth Advisory Panel (YAP). Since 2006 UNFPA Tanzania has supported the YAP as an effective mechanism to engage youth in the planning, monitoring and decision-making processes of UNFPA’s programmes.
Through the YAP, youth can exchange ideas, knowledge and recommendations, particularly on youth participation in the SDG implementation in Tanzania, to UNFPA and related stakeholders. UNFPA will recruit up to 15 talented young Tanzanians as YAP members for the 2021-2023 period. Successful applicants will be invited, as YAP members, to collaborate with UNFPA on the agency’s programmes and activities.
Youth Advisory Panel members will:
1. Facilitate the exchange of information and knowledge-sharing about best practices and lessons learned from youth policies and programmes as well as on major opportunities and challenges for moving the youth development agenda forward, including gender equality and sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights.
2. Represent the voices of youth, advocate for and facilitate the meaningful engagement of young people in policy and programme development forums.
3. Enable greater understanding among UNFPA, government, youth groups and youth-serving partners on UNFPA’s policies and programmes, and how adolescent and youth concerns can be more effectively addressed in various political and socio-cultural contexts.
4. Advise UNFPA and its partners and government on how to ensure youth participation in the development of its policies, programmes and activities across the areas of its mandate. 5. Participate and engage in national/subnational coordination forums, particularly those funded by UNFPA, on the youth development agenda including gender equality and sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights.
6. Identify emerging issues in young people’s reproductive health and rights (including gender issues, cultural practices, etc.).
7. Convey information and messages on critical youth issues (gender equality, sexual and reproductive health, HIV, human rights) from regional and national forums back to constituencies and communities.
8. If required, participate in meetings or workshops with the UNFPA Country Office and stakeholders (including technical working groups).
Duration and working schedule: Part time, home-based until 2023.
• Must be aged between 15 to 22 years.
• Demonstrated familiarity with issues related to SDGs, youth leadership and engagement, human rights and gender equality.
• Able to work in a cross-cultural team and environment.
• Good organizational skills and the ability to work independently.
• Good interpersonal, networking and communication skills.
• Willingness to contribute and work as part of a team.
• Excellent computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media, and others).
• Must be available and willing to work voluntarily, at least 16 hours a week for the duration of the membership.
Language : Kiswahili. Fluency in spoken and written English will be an advantage.
• Active member of the community with a passion for youth development.
• Affiliated to one or more youth organizations/networks, i.e. representing a constituency including faith-based, disability, educational, skills development, gender, leadership, living with HIV, sports, rural development, etc.
Membership of the YAP is voluntary and there is no remuneration.
UNFPA will cover costs of travel and accommodation for members to attend meetings of the YAP.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: 2 years
Job application procedure
Interested applicants are requested to submit:
• A motivation letter
• A CV
• Letter of support/endorsement from the organization/s to which you are affiliated.
Applications should be sent to [email protected] for Tanzania Mainland and [email protected] for Zanzibar. The closing date for applications is 20th December 2020. For any enquiries regarding this advert please contact [email protected] o r [email protected]
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
UNFPA supports and prioritizes gender-equal inclusion of youth from diverse backgrounds, particularly the disadvantaged and marginalized, including people living with disabilities.