Period of Performance: October 1 – January 31, 2021
Estimated Level of Effort: Maximum of 40 Days
The objective of this consultancy is to use existing Developmental Evaluation (DE) evidence to identify high level system and policy learnings related to the integration of health services in Tanzania and package them into user-friendly knowledge products targeting decision makers within USAID, Government of Tanzania and Implementing partners.
Key tasks to be accomplished by the consultant:
1. Review, provide input and finalize policy and systems analysis guiding questions (overarching and sub questions) with CIRCLE/Tanzania DE team.
2. Review existing data and knowledge products and final guiding questions to develop and finalize an analysis framework (including data sources for each question) in consultation with CIRCLE/Tanzania DE team.
3. Develop activity protocol to include final guiding questions, secondary analysis framework, implementation procedures, timeline, overview of products and audiences.
4. Lead discussions with USAID to gather input on protocol, policy brief topics and preference for knowledge product packaging. Finalize protocol based on inputs.
5. Develop draft detailed outline for the: 1) comprehensive report of system and policy level findings, and 2) policy briefs based on the protocol and existing data and information. Gather input from CIRCLE/Tanzania DE team and other stakeholders as appropriate and finalize outlines.
6. Conduct secondary analysis of existing DE knowledge products/data to answer guiding questions.
7. Draft comprehensive report of system and policy level findings and two policy briefs.
8. Address comments from CIRCLE and/or USAID, finalize and submit final report and briefs to CIRCLE.
9. Develop a slide deck on high level systems and policy findings and present to USAID and BA stakeholders.
10. Participate in meetings with CIRCLE/DE Teams as required to plan and implement activity.
All activities within this scope of work are expected to be completed by December 31, 2020 .
A summary of the activity timeline follows:
Activity Time Frame
Finalize policy and systems analysis guiding questions 25 September 2020
Review existing DE data and finalize analysis framework 09 October 2020
Develop comprehensive activity protocol 16 October 2020
Lead technical discussions with USAID to discuss the protocol & related knowledge products 27 October 2020
Refine protocol based on USAID inputs 30 October 2020
Conduct secondary analysis of existing DE knowledge products/data 13 November 2020
Draft comprehensive report and two policy briefs 30 November 2020
Develop a slide deck on high level systems and policy findings and present to USAID 10th December 2020
Address comments from CIRCLE and USAID and produce final comprehensive 15 January 2020
report and two policy briefs
1. Finalized analysis framework
2. Comprehensive activity protocol
3. Detailed outline of the comprehensive report and two policy briefs
4. Comprehensive report on system and policy level findings
5. Two policy briefs
6. Slide deck
7. Presentation to USAID/BA stakeholders
The consultant will receive technical direction from Beati Mboya, Chief of Party and Principal Investigator CIRCLE Project/Tanzania and Rebekah King, CIRCLE HQ Program and Research Manager
Background: The Coordinating Implementation Research to Communicate Learning and Evidence (CIRCLE) Project, led by Social Solutions International, Inc. provides technical, logistical and administrative support to the USAID’s Health Research Program, to facilitate and support research-to-use processes to advance USAID’s MNCH health priorities. CIRCLE operates a field presence in Tanzania, where it implements a Developmental Evaluation (DE) of the integration aspects of the USAID funded Boresha Afya (BA) Project. The purpose of the DE is to support real time learning and adaptation of health service integration models implemented by BA.