Staff Security Officer
Jobs at:Resettlement Support Center (RSC)
Deadline of this Job:
23 December 2020
Within Tanzania , Kasulu , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, December 07, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Title : Staff Security Officer
Grade : 6(N)
Level: Senior Specialist
Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
This position is primarily responsible for supporting, implementing and ensuring the systematic application of safety and security policies for all CWS Africa operational activities and programs in Tanzania. The Staff Security Officer will compile and draft Weekly Regional Security Updates, conduct expat residential surveys, analyze and complete security assessments of ongoing activities in Tanzania as well as ensure proper documentation and filling of security electronic and physical files. This position will act as the primary focal point in daily security operations in the country. This position will report to the Kasulu Program Manager and will liaise closely with the Staff Security Coordinator and Assistant Staff Security Coordinator who are both based in Nairobi, Kenya.
This position reports directly to the Kasulu Program Manager.
• Compiles and drafts Weekly Regional Security Updates including and dissemination of security alerts from the partner agencies, and share the same with the Staff Security Coordinator and Kasulu Program Manager.
• Submission of Situational reports and Monthly Reports to Staff Security Coordinator in Nairobi and the Program Manager in Kasulu.
• Trains all new staff on safety and security procedures and provides periodic refresher training to regular staff. Conducts new hire and visitors’ security orientation.
• Requests guards’ deployment, supervises and conducts regular briefings of the contracted guard force and also activation response and panic button testing.
• Continuously monitors surveillance cameras and works closely with the IT team to ensure surveillance systems are up and running.
• Collects, updates and communicates information regarding the security situation in areas of operation using existing CWS Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) and security manual guidelines.
• Coordinates and liaises with the Administrative Officer on servicing of fire extinguishers and first aid boxes to ensure that offices are OSHA compliant and also in-house periodic motor vehicle inspections to ascertain validity of Insurance and Inspections.
• Conducts expat residential physical security surveys as requested and advises staff on the findings and takes part in conducting evacuation & lockdown drills.
• Attends security meetings in areas of operation/OSHA meetings, prepares and follows up on action plans arising from such meetings that pertain to staff security and take minutes of the proceedings.
• Undertakes periodic Kasulu office security risk assessment and advices the Program Manager and the Staff Security Coordinator on findings. • Ensures proper documentation and filling of security electronic and physical security files.
• Conducts National Staff background checks with the relevant authorities as well as academic institutions, as required.
• Conducts field site assessments as required.
• Undertakes additional duties as requested by the Program Manager, the Staff Security Coordinator and the management.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a security, humanitarian, development or discipline related field, or four (4) years of paid work experience in the same field in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree is required
• Experience in conducting Contextual security risk assessments required.
• Experience in compiling and drafting security reports including incident reporting is required.
• Experience in coordinating response to security emergencies required.
• Two (2) years working experience with similar INGO or humanitarian agency is preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge of OSHA and other international NGO security frameworks.
• Sensitivity to gender and cultural issues.
• Excellent communications skills, with fluency in written and spoken English.
• Working knowledge of French or Arabic is also desirable.
• Writing skills test may be requested.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
The Staff Security Officer must have the ability to :
• influence and negotiate with internal and external actors, particularly in complex and/or stressful environments;
• provide high quality security and safety training to new staff, and ongoing advice and guidance, to staff members and visitors;
• work flexibly and remain calm in demanding situations;
• willingly travel and work in difficult environments;
• communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
• follow directions and implement policies and procedures from the supervisor with a positive and receptive attitude;
• deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general public;
• conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of Africa and CWS;
• maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
• carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision;
• take initiative in the development and completion of projects within the specified timeframe;
• maintain strict confidentiality with Africa administrative and operational information; • work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of motivation;
• effectively manage CWS RSC Africa’s resources and work closely with IT to ensure surveillance systems are up and running.
Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
Police Clearance Certificate issued within the last one year (12 months) is required before the start of employment.
A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel. The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa. Employee will be entrusted with the receipt, custody and payment of money.
Ensure effective exchanges of information with others. Examples of skills and behaviors include speaking to others respectfully; expressing ideas in a logical, organized way; sharing information appropriately; and clarity and conciseness in written communication.
Ensure constructive and supportive interactions with others. Examples of skills and behaviors include being positive and supportive when working with others; sharing information and resources freely; resolving conflict constructively; and proactively working to remove obstacles to success for others.
Utilize and apply job related knowledge to complete job tasks at a level that meets or exceeds expectations. Examples of skills and behaviors include utilizing job knowledge to solve problems or develop new approaches; maintaining or enhancing skills through continuing education; and taking on projects that will develop or enhance skills.
Work effectively and contribute as a member of a team. Examples of skills and behaviors include supporting other team members by sharing information; covering the work of others during absences, vacations etc.; and actively participating in developing ideas for ways to increase team effectiveness.
Analyze information and develop solutions to challenges that arise during the course of performing a job. Examples of skills and behaviors include researching and collecting facts; defining the issues and the parties affected; formulating options/solutions for addressing the problem; and engendering support for and implementing the solution.
Successfully lead a group to achieve operational goals. Examples of skills and behaviors include priority setting; timely decision making; planning and organizing; delegation; and managing and measuring work.
Building and Leading Effective Teams
Earn the respect of team members, create strong morale and spirit on the team and utilize the unique skills of all team members. Examples of skills and behaviors include managing diverse relationships; flexibility; being open and receptive; running effective team meetings; and exhibiting integrity and trustworthiness.
Accurately anticipate future consequences and trends and translate them into the fulfillment of workable strategies and plans. Examples of skills and behaviors include problem solving; dealing with ambiguity, creativity; innovation management and business acumen.
Job Education Requirements: Degree
Job Experience Requirements: 2-4 years
Job application procedure
Click here to apply: