Deadline of this Job:
05 August 2021
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About HJFMRI Tanzania Program
The Walter Reed Program Tanzania (WRP-T) is a collaborative effort that supports PEPFAR- funded HIV prevention and treatment activities in the Southern Highlands and within the Tanzania People’s Defense Forces (TPDF). HJF Medical Research International, Inc Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is a local non-profit that has supported these efforts since 2004 for the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR). PEPFAR activities are conducted in close collaboration with the Tanzania Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children; and the President’s Office of the Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG), through the Regional and Council Health Management Teams.
HJFMRI-T provides care and treatment to people affected by HIV/AIDS and has been actively involved in HIV and AIDS programming, providing resources, personnel, and services to the Southern Highlands Zone. The program has expanded from supporting the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital to becoming a hub for anti-retroviral treatment in the zone; to community support through decentralized services, with the overall objective of implementing research, clinical HIV, prevention, care, and treatment services. HJFMRI-T currently focuses specifically on four regions in the Southern Highlands zone, namely Mbeya, Rukwa, Katavi, Songwe. The program also supports TPDF in implementing comprehensive HIV prevention care and treatment programs in 21 sites throughout the country.
HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is seeking qualified candidates to fill the positions listed below.
Job Title: Research Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Mbeya, Tanzania
The Research Director supports the US Military HIV Research Program (MHRP) in Mbeya. Tanzania through the Walter Reed/Henry Jackson Foundation for Medical Research (WRP/HJFMRI). The incumbent directs and manages the development of research-based activities at Walter Reed facilities consistent with the principles of the United States President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). The incumbent is responsible for coordinating and leveraging Walter Reed’s research-based activities and expertise with other U.S. government, international, and host government agencies as it relates to the activities supported in Tanzania and East Africa by the DoD/US MHRP. He/She has supervisory and managerial responsibility over personnel hired by HJF and/or HJFMRI for research studies. He/she ensures that WRP Research activities are planned and executed with quality, accountability, and measurable impact. S/he represents the WRP program with other USG agencies, donors, as the site representative for research studies and oversees all research studies occurring in the project.
Main Roles and Responsibilities:
• Support US Military HIV Research Program (MHRP) in carrying out Research in HIV/AIDS.
• Direct and manage the development of research-based activities at Walter Reed facilities consistent with the principles of the United States President’s Emergency Plan
• for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
• Responsible for coordinating and leveraging Walter Reed laboratory research-based activities and expertise with other U.S. government, international, and host government agencies as it relates to the activities supported in Tanzania and East Africa by the DoD/US MHRP.
• Provide leadership in the design and development of protocols for Program evaluations within PEPFAR working closely with the USMHRP.
• Functions as a critical team member of the WRP Tanzania team supporting care and treatment, attending scheduled WRP, and ad-hoc meetings.
• Leads discussions on research ideas and feasibility for research in the program. Develops protocols and budgets with the team.
• Evaluates potential research expansion sites in Tanzania, with other team members
• Acts as a coordinator and point of contact for current research protocols, both within the program and external funded protocols.
• Ensures that current protocols are running smoothly, prepares interim reports as needed
• Offers expertise to other potential academic and USG funded partners.
• Solicits funding through identified mechanisms to ensure continued participation in PEPFAR research and from other sources, as needed to support the US DoD-associated programs.
• Prepares funding documents, written reports, and manuscripts for submission to scientific journals.
• Works with the in-country USG committees, providing support and undertaking assigned tasks as needed as part of the overall USG effort under PEPFAR.
• Represents DoD interests in the expansion of HIV/AIDS prevention and care and treatment activities in Tanzania and leveraging of relevant areas of DoD expertise to assist other USG and DoD efforts.
• Provides collaborative assistance to other program personnel and research scientists that require the incumbent’s expertise
The suitable candidate should have the following educational qualification and skills:
• Knowledge and experience regarding implementation of research protocols in resource- limited settings.
• Knowledge of good clinical laboratory science, quality management systems, and standards for accreditation.
• Have Research management experience and training in international settings.
• Know about program monitoring and evaluation.
• Knowledge of applicable complex technology; an ability to communicate effectively to include excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
• Have the ability to troubleshoot technical procedures; ability to work independently and supervise others.
• Have a track record of publishing research manuscripts in peer-reviewed scientific/clinical/ public health journals and experience securing funding through grants or cooperative agreements for research activities.
• Holder of Minimum of Master of Science, Medical Degree or Ph D. in Research-related Scientific or laboratory science discipline.
• Have more than 6 years of experience in research and proposal writing.
• Have excellent management and organizational skills.
• Good coordination skills and ability to work in a team.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Fluency in English
• High degree of commitment
• Results-oriented i.e. with the ability to meet deadlines with competing priorities.
• Able to work independently in a multidisciplinary team
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to Senior Manager, Human Resources. P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya. or sent through e-mail to [email protected] .
NOTE: To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. . Applications that are hand-delivered will not be accepted. The deadline for applying is August 5th, 2021. As detailed in the job description(s) below, those who do not meet the minimum requirements will not be considered
HJFMRI is an equal opportunity employer