Protection Information Officer
Jobs at:International Rescue Committee’s (IRC)
Deadline of this Job:
06 August 2021
Within Tanzania , Kasulu , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, July 26, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Title: Protection Information Officer
Requisition ID: req19166
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
The International Rescue Committee’s (IRC) mission is to help the world’s most vulnerable people survive, recover, and gain control of their future. The IRC has been working in Tanzania since 1993, promoting access to quality education, health, and protection. We deliver life changing programmes through a team of over 200 staff and 2,000 volunteers. Our work includes the management of forty schools, health facilities and protection centers. IRC and partners strive to ensure thousands of children and young people can access quality education and receive vocational training. We work to improve mental health through a network of mental health centers and work with adolescent girls, people with disabilities, to protect and empower them and help build safer, more cohesive communities.
Scope of the Role:
Working under the supervision and guidance of the Advocacy, Community Engagement and Outreach Manager, the position will be responsible for ensuring proper implementation of the protection information outreach plan. His/her primary role will be to oversee the development and implementation of protection information dissemination to the affected population, including key messaging and methods for delivering messaging: for example, awareness raising sessions for target populations, bulletin boards, information posts, loud speaker and hotline among others. Composition of target groups for protection information dissemination, whether group based and/or individual (men, women, minority groups, persons at risk or persons with disabilities) as outlined in the outreach plan. The officer will ensure that protection information is made available for the targeted population in an accessible manner (including context specific languages and illiterate groups), and include two-way communication channels in which the target population can also communicate concerns and additional protection information required. He/She will work closely with the target community and the IRC ACEO Manager on the identification of protection information needs and best methods to deliver these. The officer will provide regular reports and briefings to the ACEO Manager on progress of implementing the Outreach Plan.
Program Planning & Implementation
• Based on available protection data, develop Protection Information Outreach Plan (messaging, methods of delivering messages and composition of target groups) and maintain/update the plan.
• Coordinate with other IRC teams to conduct awareness raising/protection information sessions on rights, entitlements, humanitarian services and context-specific information addressing protection concerns for targeted affected populations in Nyarugusu Refugee Camp and Kasulu District. The protection information themes will be determined in line with expressed needs and in collaboration with other IRC teams.
• Coordinate the development of protection information dissemination material, like leaflets and posters, on protection issues and determine the most appropriate ways to disseminate these, including through the use of billboards, media, SMS campaigns among others
Develop and coordinate creative protection information dissemination activities to deliver messages on different administrative/ human rights issue to specific audiences.
Coordination & Representation
• Work closely with other IRC sectors to ensure strong integration and mainstreaming of protection.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with external stakeholders, including UN agencies, INGOs, and beneficiary communities to enhance multi sectoral coordination.
• Represent the IRC in key forums and coordination meetings in the camp and host community, and ensure information from these forums is widely shared internally as appropriate.
• Coordinate with external stakeholders and communities on the organization of protection trainings/information dissemination sessions; on protection information needs and on delivery methods
• Coordinate the development of protection information material with other IRC teams.
• Undertake/participate in liaison, coordination, and information sharing activities with national NGOs, international organizations, donors and government
Monitoring and Reporting
• Work with the ACEO Manager to implement an effective monitoring and reporting system.
• With the direction of the ACEO Manager, ensure implementation of the agreed upon work plan and quality of technical activities, share relevant information and direction to improve quality and achieve timelines.
• Support ACEO Manager in assessing progress (against project objectives) and identify technical quality issues and/or other implementation issues, provide solutions and implement modifications as required.
• Ensure all programming activities are fully documented, including systematic and timely data collection as required under the grant and for IRC M&E purposes.
Contribute to IRC and donor reports as per set schedules (monthly, quarterly and annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements.
Work closely with ACEO Manager to assist in the development of materials for protection trainings and capacity building initiatives with relevant stakeholders.
• University Degree or equivalent, preferably in law, social work or education
• 3 years professional experience in community work, protection work
• Proven protection information dissemination experience, and on methods to measure their effectiveness
• Proven abilities in developing work plans, data collection and analysis and performance monitoring
• Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well
• Fluency in English and Swahili preferred.
Performance Management plan
1. Quality provision of protection information based on identified needs and in line with the project objectives.
2. Develop Information Outreach Plan, messaging and protection information material for dissemination (creative use of information dissemination methods for delivery of critical information, ensuring two way channels of communication)
3. Successfully implement Information Outreach Plan
Gender Equality and Equal Opportunity
We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer generous benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. We welcome and strongly encourage qualified female professionals to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Are you ready to join the most dynamic team?
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Click here to Apply Now