Position: Project Director
Job ID : 2021-4343
Experience (Years) : 10
Jhpiego seeks a Project Director to provide vision, leadership and direction to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, and financial integrity for an upcoming project focused on addressing oxygen infrastructure needs in low and middle income countries. The project, funded by UNITAID, aims to address the acute oxygen crisis exacerbated by COVID-19. The project will operate over a twelve-month period.
The Project Director will have the overall responsibility for leadership and management and reporting of project activities. S/he will be responsible for making key decisions and solving problems in short timeframes while ensuring operational and project quality and integrity. S/he will serve as the project’s main point of contact with UNITAID on routine and strategic matters. S/he will also ensure effective organizational management and communication with host country governments and key stakeholders at all levels, including international entities.
This position is contingent upon award from UNITAID.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to ensure programmatic and financial integrity of the project and to achieve rapid and sustained goals, objectives and targets
- Work closely with Jhpiego staff to ensure effective, timely and coordinated project implementation
- Ensure the project is technically sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of countries, its people and donors
- Ensure compliance with the terms of the award
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with UNITAID, international coordinating mechanisms, future public and private funding entities, relevant country Ministries and other key stakeholders to optimize prospects for success, maximize resources and avoid duplication of effort
- Represent Jhpiego and the project’s progress, achievements and lessons learned to donors, other key stakeholders, and through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Provide technical leadership and ensure the quality and sustainability of interventions
- Lead the work planning process and related approvals to enable project execution
- Oversee the quality, preparation, and timely submission of project reports to donor
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage a team of highly qualified staff and align their efforts to ensure rapid and sustainable results
- Provide guidance, in collaboration with staff, to subcontractors and sub-grantees
- Write and/or review project materials and publications
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track project budgets
- Tags covid health economics health systems latin america monitoring and evaluation project implementation southeast asia sub saharan africa
- Work with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) staff to develop M&E frameworks and effectively track data/results
- Ensure compliance with UNITAID operational policies and regulation.
- Advanced degree in public health, health economics, business or a related field;
- Minimum 10 years work experience in health programming and minimum 5 years’ successful experience serving as a project director, deputy project director or senior level management requiring performance on complex, multi-stakeholder, multi-partner initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in establishing project systems and overseeing project start-up and close-out
- Previous experience working in sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, Central or Southeast Asia, with intimate understanding of relevant local health systems and their oxygen ecosystems, related key actors, gaps and opportunities.
- Experience hiring and supervising personnel and ensuring they acquire the necessary training and skills to meet evolving project needs
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships across cultures, across sectors (private, private) with host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs and CSOs
- In-depth knowledge of the ecosystem, including demand, supply and delivery dynamics for oxygen, in particular its use for medical purposes
- Ability to match needs with opportunities, advancing appropriate solutions to oxygen ecosystem challenges, from financing to quality patient-level delivery and management
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in regional and national projects and technical staff
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally