Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Bioinformatics
Jobs at:SUA – Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA)
Deadline of this Job:
28 April 2020
Within Tanzania , Morogoro , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Management of Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) wishes to invite suitable qualified individuals, who are able to work full time in a dynamic academic environment to apply for three (3) positions at the SACIDS Foundation for One Health. The Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Bioinformatics and Laboratory Manager will be recruited under the SACIDS Africa Centre of Excellence for Infectious Diseases of Humans and Animals in Eastern and Southern Africa (SACIDS-ACE), an initiative of the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania and the World Bank. The Laboratory Technologist will be recruited under the Skoll Foundation award to the SACIDS Foundation for One Health to Strengthen SACIDS and Regional Coronavirus Disease 2019 (SACIDS COVID-19) Emergency Preparedness in Eastern and Southern Africa.
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOW IN BIOINFORMATICS (1 POST) .
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Undertake one health-driven genomic epidemiology and/ or host-pathogen interaction, including antimicrobial resistance. Provide genomic expertise to other SACIDS groups working on specific disease research theme.
• Conduct complete genome sequencing of human and animal viruses, and other pathogens and/or vectors, including antimicrobial resistance using next-generation sequencing platforms.
• Conduct the genomic epidemiology of human and animal viruses, and other pathogens and/or vectors, including antimicrobial resistance.
• Conduct metagenomic sequencing of pathogens in human and animal samples in order to understand co-morbidity patterns of the disease, and broader surveillance of outbreaks in a population.
• Support partner institutions of the SACIDS Foundation for One Health to commission the use of next-generation sequencing platforms and bioinformatics. • Train SACIDS partner institutions staff in the use of next- generation sequencing platforms.
• Performing any other related duties as assigned by the Leader of the SACIDS Africa Centre of Excellence for Infectious Diseases.
• Report to the SACIDS-ACE Leader.
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Possession of PhD in Bioinformatics/Computational Biology or equivalent qualifications from a recognized University.
• Ability to independently conduct next-generation sequencing using whole genome sequencing platforms, such as Oxford nanopore sequencing, 454 pyrosequencing, Illumina sequencing. Ion Torrent semiconductor sequencing and/or PacBio sequencing.
• At least two publications in reputable journals relating to whole genome sequencing of viruses and other pathogens and/or vectors, including antimicrobial resistance.
• Ability to perform genome assembly and bioinformatics of viruses and other pathogens and/or vectors, including antimicrobial resistance.
• Good communicator (orally and written, in English) with strong interpersonal skills and leadership qualities.
AGE: Not above 45 years at the time of application.
DURATION: Two-year contract, renewable depending on availability of funds.
DUTY STATION: SACIDS Foundation for One Health at Sokoine University of Agriculture in Morogoro, Tanzania.
The applicant will have opportunity to interact with other relevant units at SUA and within Tanzania, and to interact with regional SACIDS partner institutions in Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mozambique and Zambia.
SALARY: An attractive salary based on SUA salary scales with adjustment as offered by SACIDS-ACE.
Job Education Requirements: PhD in Bioinformatics/Computational Biology
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
All applications should be addressed to the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration and Finance), Sokoine University of Agriculture, P.O. Box 3000. Chuo Kikuu, Morogoro.
Deadline 28 April, 2020
The application letters (hand written in English) should indicate names and addresses of tw o (2) Referees with their reliable contacts, together with certified copies of academic certificates, academic transcripts and all credentials i.e. Form IV, Form VI, University, Birth Certificate, Curriculum Vitae and other testimonials like the National/Citizenship Identification Card.