Deadline of this Job:
10 September 2021
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
CEFA is looking for an Operation Officer for the EU funded project entitled “Improving income and nutrition of smallholder tea farmers in Southern Tanzania”
Job Location: Iringa
Starting date: September 2021, 12 months with possibility of extension (3 years project)
Salary: according to the experience and level of education of the selected candidate, the maximum net salary TZS 1,600,000/.
Who we are
CEFA (European Committee for Training and Agriculture) is an Italian NGO implementing projects in Tanzania since 1975.
In the last 40 years, CEFA has devoted itself to enabling processes of sustainable development focusing its action towards the implementation of integrated rural development projects located in the Southern Highlands.
For the implementation of “Improving income and nutrition of smallholder tea farmers in Southern Tanzania” CEFA works in a consortium with IDH – The sustainable Trade Initiative, Tea Research Institute of Tanzania (TRIT) and Tanzania Smallholder Tea Development Agency (TSHTDA).
CEFA is looking for a Project Officer to be employed in the framework of the EU funded project “Improving income and nutrition of smallholder tea farmers in Southern Tanzania”. The overall objective of the Action is to promote the inclusiveness, productivity, competitiveness and resilience of smallholder tea farming while fostering sustainable livelihood, nutrition, gender equality, among tea farming families in Southern Tanzania.
Its specific objectives are to:
1. Sustainably improve the performance and climate resilience of smallholder tea farmers.
2. Diversify income generation and reduce malnutrition and stunting in tea farming communities.
The Action aims to significantly improve the income of 70% of all smallholder tea farmers in Tanzania by focusing on quantity and quality of tea, income diversification and close collaboration with the private sector which in turn also improves the competitiveness of the entire Tanzanian tea sector.
The Action focusses on Iringa, Njombe and Mbeya regions and is built around service provision to farmers, and particularly women and youth which are key actors in the tea value chain but have limited access to productive resources, markets and services.
Duty and responsibilities
The Operation Officer will be based in Iringa, works under the supervision of the CEFA Project Manager and is responsible for the operations in 3 sub offices located in Mufindi, Mbeya and Njombe.
The Operation Officer will be responsible of the following duties:
• Coordinate the procurement processes for supplies and services following EU standards set in the EU practical guidelines PRAG;
• Prepare supply contracts and service contracts, monitor the work of consultants and the delivery of supplies and handle invoices and payments;
• Create and maintain updated the register of asset and the inventory in collaboration with the logistician;
• Collaborate with the Project Officers based in the sub-offices and with the logistician to ensure project’s resources are made available on time and according to the needs of the sub-offices;
• Support the preparation of official letters, contracts and memorandum and record documents, contracts and correspondences ensuring digital and physical archives are updated and organized.
• Support the preparation and keep record of Job Descriptions and Employment Contracts and staff’s file (leaves, medical certificates, performance appraisal, etc.)
• Preparation of payrolls, manage payment of salaries and contributions (WCF, NHIF, NSSF, PAYE, SDL) for local project’s staff
• Ensure the financial management of the project is compliant with the donor’s requirements, applicable Tanzanian laws and regulations and organization policies and procedures
• Manage petty cash and bank payments; prepare bank reconciliation, keep accounts, including supporting documents and book-keeping records for the project;
• Ensure that cashbooks and supporting documents are delivered according to quality standards and deadlines set in internal and donor’s policies and procedures
• Prepare Petty Cash Requests, Fund Requests and Financial Reports
• Receive, control and consolidate the financial reports for the funds disbursed to the sub- offices;
• Facilitate and support internal and external audits, including audit to sub-offices;
• Perform any other accounting and administrative duties and conduct field missions to the sub-offices as required by the Project Manager.
• Degree in Administration, Accounting, Procurement, or other relevant related fields;
• Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in administration roles of large donor-funded cooperation projects;
• Knowledge of the main Tanzanian Laws concerning NGOs, Taxes, Human Resources and Fiscal Regulations;
• Proficiency in English and proven ability to write official letters and documents in English and Kiswahili;
• Excellent Knowledge of Excel (Complex Formula, Pivot Table)
• Be a Tanzanian citizen
The Employee is requested to keep a flexible attitude and good degree of adaptation to possible modifications and/or integration to the foreseen duties on the basis of necessities that may arise locally, and to make an effort to integrate his/her work in the wider context of CEFA presence in Tanzania in order to facilitate consistency and continuity among current and prospective projects
• Previously experience in administration roles of EU funded projects
• Relevant Courses / Certificate
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
We want to make sure we select candidates who pay attention to details and are able to understand and follow organizational procedures.
Only the applications adhering to the following instructions will be taken into consideration:
1. Submit your application via email before 12:00 (EAT) of the 10 th September 2021 to this email address: [email protected]
2. The object shall state: “Application for Operation Officer – Agri Connect”.
3. Attach your Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter. We recommend a length of maximum
2 pages for the CV and 1 page for the Cover Letter.
4. Do NOT attach at this stage Certificates or Transcripts; we will request them only for shortlisted candidates.