Jhpiego seeks a Monitoring and Evaluation Lead/Strategic Information Advisor to provide technical leadership, oversight and strategic direction for monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities for an upcoming Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)/PEPFAR-funded voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) project in Tanzania. The project aims to contribute to the PEPFAR goal of achieving HIV epidemic control through the scale-up of quality, safe VMMC services targeting adult men and high-risk populations for HIV prevention in Tanzania. The project will work in CDC priority regions to reach males >15 years and saturate VMMC services in low coverage areas in Geita, Kagera, Mwanza, Shinyanga, Simiyu, Mara and Kigoma regions. The project will operate over a five-year period.
The M&E Lead/Strategic Information Advisor will provide technical leadership to develop project framework, M&E systems and indicators to capture performance results and provide effective, accurate and timely monitoring, evaluation and reporting of all project activities. The M&E Lead/Strategic Information Advisor will supervise and manage the M&E team and oversee the collection, management, analysis and use of project data, ensuring that lessons learned are integrated into project implementation to continuously improve quality of interventions and outcomes. The M&E Lead/Strategic Information Advisor is responsible for documenting and disseminating project successes, challenges and lessons learned to CDC. The M&E Lead/Strategic Information Advisor will also be responsible for designing and conducting assessments, operations research and evaluations to address project needs. The Advisor/Lead will liaise with and support subgrantees and the Ministry of Health Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children to implement monitoring and evaluation (and learning) activities.
This position is contingent upon award from CDC. Tanzania nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide leadership and direction on M&E to ensure the project achieves its goals and corresponding objectives and targets
- Oversee the development and implementation of the Performance Monitoring Plan (PMP) to efficiently track, use and disseminate performance indicators and results over the life of the project, including routine service delivery data reporting, baseline and end line assessments, and all monitoring for process and outcome evaluations
- Supervise and mentor a team of M&E professionals, ensuring high-quality implementation of all monitoring, evaluation and learning activities
- Work collaboratively with SI leads from GoT for improved VMMC data quality, data collection, analysis and use for decision making, include data verification exercises.
- Develop and continuously update the Standard Operating Procedures for data management and reporting
- Develop and oversee implementation of robust context-appropriate systems for data collection, quality assurance, analysis and reporting on activity outputs/outcomes and program quality
- Ensure quality of data using Jhpiego Data Quality Standards including data verification procedures including routine data quality audits and that these are routinely carried out during the project lifecycle
- Lead results reporting to CDC/PEPFAR by providing written documentation on M&E activities and indicator results for progress and annual reports, as appropriate
- Ensure alignment of project systems and approaches with Tanzania national monitoring and evaluation guidelines, protocols, information and reporting systems
- Cultivate strategic M&E relationships and alliances with monitoring, evaluation and learning counterparts in other CDC projects national institutions, and key stakeholders, leading initiatives to learn from project data and adapt intervention strategies as appropriate
- Lead efforts to utilize training monitoring systems to track and monitor trainers and participants at training events to facilitate follow-up and recordkeeping
- Use data to contribute towards strategic decision-making and project planning with project leadership
- Support project leadership to champion holistic approaches to collaboration, learning and adapting (CLA), including design and implementation of an action-oriented project research and learning agenda, routine analysis of available health sector data sources, and application of best practices in knowledge management
- Oversee and/or conduct targeted assessment, evaluations and operations research, ensuring compliance with Ministry of Health and Johns Hopkins University institutional review board policies
- Represent M&E activities in public and professional circles through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Ensure relevant data is entered into Jhpiego’s organization-wide performance management system designed to capture, analyze, and disseminate project data
- Ensure project compliance with CDC and PEPFAR monitoring, evaluation, research and open data policies
- Promote and support the dissemination of project information among the project team
- Work with project and financial staff to prepare and track progress of project and activity budgets
- Train and mentor project staff and implementing partners in monitoring and evaluation methods, tools, and systems
- Develop and disseminate data visualizations representing project interventions
- Advanced degree in public health, demography, statistics, social sciences or related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum seven (7) years of work experience in monitoring and evaluating large, multi-year international health sector development projects (approximately $5 -15M per year)
- Experience with CDC and PEPFAR reporting strategies and requirements.
- In depth familiarity with PEPFAR indicators and definitions
- Proven expertise in quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis methodologies, implementation research approaches, health management information systems, data visualization and reporting
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple host-country counterparts in both the public, NGO and private sectors
- Considerable experience including developing robust and comprehensive M&E systems that include PMPs, data management, data quality, use and reporting strategies.
- Experience leading data quality assessments for VMMC data including development of data collection tool, leading site visits and verification processes and reporting results to key stakeholders.
- Familiarity with Tanzania health management information system and other national M&E systems
Experience and understanding of the HIV prevention, care, and treatment; VMMC; capacity building of HCW/CHW in QI/QA; and AE/NAE reporting framework and reporting system
- Strong technical skills, including ability to process and analyze data using DHIS2 and one or more statistical software packages, including at least one of the following: SPSS, Epi-Info, Stata, MS Excel, GIS
- Experience hiring and supervising personnel and ensuring they acquire the necessary training and skills to meet evolving project needs
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with CDC, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
Demonstrated outstanding leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team-building, and representational skills
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English and Swahili
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in regional and national projects and technical staff
- Proficiency in word processing, Microsoft Office, SPSS, and SPSS
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as needed#L1-Mk1