Military Liaison Advisor, TPDF Program
Jobs at:Henry Jackson Foundation Medical Research International
Deadline of this Job:
31 August 2020
Within Tanzania , Mbeya , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Military Liaison Advisor, TPDF Program
Reports To: Chief of Party, TPDF Program
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Primary responsibilities of this position are aimed at providing senior-level advice and recommendations to the Chief of Party to identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner, and suggest appropriate program adjustments. This individual shall act as the key liaison between HJFMRI-Tanzania and all other TPDF counterparts involved with the program. The position requires significant coordination skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, broad general and technical knowledge, experience in developing countries and skills to ensure coherence and consistency in spite of urgent deadlines. The Military Liaison Advisor will report to the Chief of Party, TPDF Program and be a member of the Senior Management Team. .
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: 90% of time
• Provide expert operational advice to the Chief of Party and Senior Management of HJFMRI on a broad range of military relations and program planning issues.
• Establish and maintain a cooperative and collaborative relationship with colleagues from the US Department of Defense (DoD), including ensuring timely and regular formal and informal communication with and reporting to DoD; undertaking joint planning; and engaging in joint and early problem-solving, as needed.
• Undertake collaborative and joint planning with the TPDF Medical Services and other sectors as appropriate, and actively promote information sharing and process improvement.
• Responsible for providing advice and recommendations on TPDF engagement with regards to overall planning, implementation, and management of the program and for establishing the administrative framework to monitor and assure progress toward the achievement of the targets as assigned by PEPFAR. Ensure the quality and timely completion of required reports.
• Responsible for overall achievement of PEPFAR targets for the TPDF program.
• Advise the Chief of Party on proper military protocols with regard to implementation of the TPDF program’s annual work plan including setting performance milestones, identifying deliverables, developing the budget and negotiating agreement of the plan and budget with the HJFMRI Executive Director and DoD.
• Work with technical staff, DoD and counterparts to develop and maintain an evolving Communications Plan ensuring that the plan includes a schedule of SI and knowledge products to be released for multiple audiences and in multiple formats.
• After obtaining clearance, inform HJFMRI on all planned activities at the TPDF supported sites in consistency with agreed work plan activities.
• Assist in obtaining the necessary clearance/access permit when HJFMRI staff are visiting TPDF sites for support supervision and mentorship
• Attend routine technical meetings with DoD to brief the team on all concerns regarding HJFMRI activities within the TPDF
• Work closely with the TPDF Chief of Medical Services or designated personnel to ensure program activities are conducted properly
• Ensure that issues and/or concerns raised by the TPDF are promptly reported to the HJFMRI leadership
• In coordination with the site coordinators, Safety and QA/QC officers, ensure Safety and QA/QC regulations are maintained at all times
• Maintain a collaborative and professional relationship with the TPDF site Medical officers in charge concerning program activities
• Accompany the safety officer, QA/QC officer, HJFMRI staff, and site coordinators to TPDF sites when needed
• Other duties as requested by management OTHER JOB DUTIES: 10% of time
• Provides collaborative assistance and mentoring to other program personnel that require the incumbent's expertise.
• Maintains a safe work environment with appropriate training of other personnel.
• Supports a productive team environment.
• Completes other projects as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Minimum 10+ years of senior-level experience in program development, implementation, and management of health programs is required; management of research or medical programs experience a plus;
• Minimum of 7 years of demonstrated experience with the TPDF successfully managing relationships with governments and other partners in a complex political environment required;
• Minimum of 5 years of public/global health in the Tanzania setting;
• Experience with PEPFAR highly desirable;
• Outstanding leadership skills;
• Strong communication skills; a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with host country government counterparts and building strong collaborations with these entities;
• Fluency in written and spoken English/Swahili is required;
• Ability to independently troubleshoot tasks and challenges;
• Work as a leader and part of a team.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements:
Masters (MPH, MHA, etc.) is required, with Doctorate (DrPH, or PhD, or MD) in public health or relevant field preferred.
Physical Capabilities: Incumbent will be expected to relocate to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and travel throughout the area of operation, as well as Bethesda, Maryland (USA) as necessary, to perform job duties, (approximately up to 40% travel requirement.)
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Chief of Party, TPDF Program, HJFMRI Tanzania.
Work Environment: May require working evenings and weekends, as necessary.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to the
Human Resources and Administration Manager,
P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya or
sent through e-mail to [email protected]
To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. “CVs should not include any reference to marital status, birthplace, or tribal or religious affiliations. Any CVs containing this information will not be considered for employment”. Applications that are hand-delivered will not be accepted. The deadline for submitting the application is August 31st , 2020.
HJFMRI is an equal opportunity employer; women are highly encouraged to apply.