Jobs at:SUA – Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA)
Deadline of this Job:
28 April 2020
Within Tanzania , Morogoro , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Management of Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) wishes to invite suitable qualified individuals, who are able to work full time in a dynamic academic environment to apply for three (3) positions at the SACIDS Foundation for One Health. The Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Bioinformatics and Laboratory Manager will be recruited under the SACIDS Africa Centre of Excellence for Infectious Diseases of Humans and Animals in Eastern and Southern Africa (SACIDS-ACE), an initiative of the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania and the World Bank. The Laboratory Technologist will be recruited under the Skoll Foundation award to the SACIDS Foundation for One Health to Strengthen SACIDS and Regional Coronavirus Disease 2019 (SACIDS COVID-19) Emergency Preparedness in Eastern and Southern Africa.
LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST (1 POST) .
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conduct complete genome sequencing of human and animal viruses, and bacteria including antimicrobial resistance using Oxford nanopore sequencing platform.
• Conduct rapid Oxford nanopore sequencing and bioinfonnatics of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
• Conduct the genomic epidemiology of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in relation to other viral strains such as Nextstrain (https://nextstrain.org/ncov).
• Conduct direct RNA sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 virus in order to provide insights into the transcriptome and base modifications of the virus.
• Conduct metagenomic sequencing of in order not only to characterise the SARS-CoV-2 virus, but other pathogens or microorganisms present in the sample in order to understand co-morbidity patterns of the disease, and broader surveillance of outbreaks in a population.
• Train SACIDS partner institutions staff in the use of Oxford nanopore sequencing platform.
• Performing any other related duties as assigned by the Leader of the SACIDS Africa Centre of Excellence for Infectious Diseases.
• Report to the Executive Director of the SACIDS Foundation for One Health and work under the direct supervision of the Leader of the SACIDS Africa Centre of Excellence for Infectious Diseases.
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Possession of Master of Science in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology /Master of Science in Molecular Biology/ Master of Science in One Health Molecular Biology/ Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Molecular Biology or equivalent qualifications from a recognized University.
• Established practical experience in conducting next-generation sequencing using Oxford nanopore next- generation sequencing platform especially on the use of Flongle. MinlON, MinlT and MinlON MklC.
• Co-authorship in at least two journal publications for next-generation sequencing, especially with viruses, using Oxford nanopore next-generation sequencing.
• Ability to independently sequence viruses such as severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS CoV- 2) using Oxford nanopore next-generation sequencing platform. • Familiarity with viral genome assembly and bioinfonnatics workflows for SARS-CoV-2 will be an added advantage. Ability to initiate work independently and be able to work as part of an emergency team for COVID-19.
• Good communicator in English with strong interpersonal skills and leadership qualities.
AGE: Not above 40 years at the time of application.
DURATION: Nine- month contract, with possibility of extension depending on availability of funds.
DUTY STATION: SACIDS Foundation for One Health at Sokoine University of Agriculture in Morogoro, Tanzania.
The applicant will have opportunity to interact with other relevant units at SUA, Tanzania National Health Laboratory and regional SACIDS partner institutions in Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mozambique and Zambia.
SALARY: An attractive salary based on SUA salary scales with adjustment as offered by the SACIDS COVID-19 project.
Job Education Requirements: Master of Science in Molecular Biology
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
All applications should be addressed to the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration and Finance), Sokoine University of Agriculture, P.O. Box 3000. Chuo Kikuu, Morogoro.
Deadline 28 April, 2020
The application letters (hand written in English) should indicate names and addresses of tw o (2) Referees with their reliable contacts, together with certified copies of academic certificates, academic transcripts and all credentials i.e. Form IV, Form VI, University, Birth Certificate, Curriculum Vitae and other testimonials like the National/Citizenship Identification Card.