The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a Parastatal Organization established by an Act of Parliament No. 23 of 1979 (CAP.59, R.E.2002) and became operational in 1980. NIMR-Mbeya Medical Research Centre (MMRC) is one of the NIMR Centers located in Mbeya within the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital Compound. The Centre is currently conducting research on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, NCDs as well as other diseases of public health importance.
On behalf of the Director General of the National Institute for Medical Research, the Centre Director of NIMR Mbeya is looking for the qualified, experienced and well- motivated personnel to fill the following vacant position whose duty station will be in Mbeya City.
Candidate shall be responsible for carrying out laboratory procedures according to the laboratory SOPs, study protocol as well as national and international standards.
The Laboratory Scientist will report and work under the Head of Laboratory Sciences Department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
i. To execute health research activities and scientific publications;
ii. To attend scientific conferences and present scientific papers;
iii. To execute technical laboratory procedures according to the study protocol as well as national and international standards;
iv. To collect samples and perform laboratory tests;
v. To supervise preparation of reagents and up keep of laboratory equipment;
vi. To keep accurate records and reports and other laboratory statistical information for master files or database as per study protocol and laboratory procedures;
vii. To assist in routine Laboratory studies;
viii. To participate in QC/QA in Lab tests, takes corrective action, and notifies others of changes;
ix. To comply with laboratory safety procedures, possessing adequate knowledge of instrumentation, theory, and application of new and existing tests;
x. To perform preventative maintenance procedures in laboratory instrumentation;
xi. To ensure the working place is always tidy; and
xii. To perform other relevant duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCES:
• Holder of first degree in Laboratory Sciences or Fellow of Medical Laboratory Sciences;
• At least one year working experience in clinical research setting;
• Able to work under pressure and multi-tasking setting with high level of integrity;
• Strong language skills fluency in written and spoken English and Swahili including presentation skills;
• Good analytical skills and ability to understand complex subjects, extract and communicate relevant information from data and documents;
• Ability to prepare report using MS Office software, for internal and stakeholders’ communication;
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to organize time appropriately and effectively;
• Self-motivated; able to work independently under minimal supervision to complete tasks and respond to appropriate project authority requests and to collaborate with others;
• A team player with a strong organization, planning with ability to prioritize tasks for both self and team to meet requirements and deadlines;
• The applicant should be a Tanzanian below 45 years old.
One-year employment contract which may be renewed on the basis of performance and mutual agreement.
The successful candidate will be based at NIMR-Mbeya, Mbeya City.
A competitive salary will be offered as per Government of Tanzania Regulations.
MODE OF APPLICATION
All applications should be enclosed with certified photocopies of relevant certificates and detailed curriculum vitae. Applicants are required to submit their applications not later than two weeks after the first appearance (see the date above) of this advertisement to the address below. Applicants are also reminded to indicate all contact information necessary with which information can reach them easily. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. In case you do not hear from us in two weeks’ time after the closing date consider yourself unsuccessful.
The Centre Director,
NIMR – Mbeya Medical Research Centre,
P.O. Box 2410, Mbeya, Tanzania.