Jobs at:SUA – Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA)
Deadline of this Job:
28 April 2020
Within Tanzania , Morogoro , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Management of Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) wishes to invite suitable qualified individuals, who are able to work full time in a dynamic academic environment to apply for three (3) positions at the SACIDS Foundation for One Health. The Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Bioinformatics and Laboratory Manager will be recruited under the SACIDS Africa Centre of Excellence for Infectious Diseases of Humans and Animals in Eastern and Southern Africa (SACIDS-ACE), an initiative of the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania and the World Bank. The Laboratory Technologist will be recruited under the Skoll Foundation award to the SACIDS Foundation for One Health to Strengthen SACIDS and Regional Coronavirus Disease 2019 (SACIDS COVID-19) Emergency Preparedness in Eastern and Southern Africa.
LABORATORY MANAGER (1 POST) .
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist SACIDS postgraduate students and postgraduate research fellows in conducting their research, including but not limited to, nucleic acid extraction, nucleic acid amplification, PCR products electrophoresis, DNA sequencing and virus isolation in cell cultures.
• Maintain continuous cell cultures and prepare primary cells for use in virus isolation, viral passages, virus neutralization tests and immunoperoxidase monolayer assay.
• Maintain an electronic inventory of all samples in the laboratory using available computer software.
• Maintain a ledger of all reagents and supplies in the laboratory using available ledger books linked to an electronic database.
• Develop and ensure adherence to standard operating procedures in the laboratory.
• Ensure that all equipment is in good working condition including daily charting of refrigerators, freezers and ultralow freezers, and recording daily use of equipment.
• Performing any other related duties as assigned by the Leader of the SACIDS Africa Centre of Excellence for Infectious Diseases.
• Report to the SACIDS-ACE Leader.
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Possession of Master of Philosophy (MPhil)/Master of Science by Research (MRes) or equivalent qualifications from a recognized University.
• Experience with working in multidisciplinary research laboratory dealing with the isolation and characterization of pathogens.
• Experience with supervision of postgraduate student’s molecular biology, microbiology and/or virological research.
• Familiarity with COVID-19 diagnosis using real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction.
• Familiarity with laboratory management.
• Ability to initiate work independently and be able to work as part of a team.
• Good communicator (orally and written, both English and Swahili) with strong interpersonal skills and leadership qualities.
• Computer literate, with experience in writing reports and use of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Power Point and Photo editing software such as Picasa or Adobe Photoshop.
AGE: Not above 40 years at the time of application.
DURATION: Two-year contract, renewable depending on availability of funds.
DUTY STATION: SACIDS Foundation for One Health at Sokoine University of Agriculture in Morogoro, Tanzania.
The applicant will have opportunity to interact with other relevant units at SUA and within Tanzania, and to interact with regional SACIDS partner institutions in Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mozambique and Zambia.
SALARY: An attractive salary based on SUA salary scales with adjustment as offered by SACIDS-ACE.
Job Education Requirements: Master of Philosophy (MPhil)/Master of Science
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
All applications should be addressed to the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration and Finance), Sokoine University of Agriculture, P.O. Box 3000. Chuo Kikuu, Morogoro.
Deadline 28 April, 2020
The application letters (hand written in English) should indicate names and addresses of tw o (2) Referees with their reliable contacts, together with certified copies of academic certificates, academic transcripts and all credentials i.e. Form IV, Form VI, University, Birth Certificate, Curriculum Vitae and other testimonials like the National/Citizenship Identification Card.