Laboratory and Supply Chain Management Technical Advisor
Jobs at:Tanzania Health Promotion Support (THPS)
Deadline of this Job:
10 November 2020
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Tanzania Health Promotion Support (THPS) is an indigenous NGO established under nongovernmental organization act No 24 of 2002 in 2011. THPS works in partnership with the Ministries of Health Community Development Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC) and Presidents Office – Regional Administration and Local Governments (PORALG) and Ministry of Health in Zanzibar with a goal of ensuring accessible high-quality health care services to Tanzanians; through strengthening of health systems for quality health services. THPS is currently implementing projects in comprehensive HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care, Support and Treatment among general populations in Pwani and Kigoma regions; key and vulnerable populations across 25 district councils across 13 mainland Tanzania regions, Tuberculosis and Family Planning Activity in Kigoma, Rukwa, Songwe and Katavi regions, and Health laboratory services strengthening in all mainland regions and Zanzibar. Additionally, THPS implements research and evaluations across health programs to generate evidence that informs public health interventions.
THPS has been awarded a five years USAID Cooperative Agreement number 72062120CA00005 – USAID Police and Prison Activity, aimed at ensuring Health status of Tanzanians are improved through provision of appropriate interventions and sustainable delivery of health services to Police and Prison staffs, their families, and surrounding communities. The Activity will be implemented across 26 regions of Tanzania mainland and Zanzibar.THPS therefore is seeking competent, experienced, dynamic and qualified candidates to fill the positions listed below .
Job Title: Laboratory and Supply Chain Management Technical Advisor
Reports to: Chief of Party
Position Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The Laboratory and Supply Chain Management (Lab/SCM) Technical Advisor is responsible for provision of technical support in the planning, coordination and implementation of high-quality laboratory services and supply chain management for improved HIV and TB services in the supported regions. The Technical Advisor supervises and coordinates zonal teams and provides state of the art technical support for HIV and TB including drug resistant MDR TB laboratory services and linkage to treatment services in collaboration with the Tanzania Ministry of Health Community Development Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC), National AIDS Control Program (NACP), and National TB and Leprosy Program (NTLP), regional and council health management teams (R/CHMTs). Improves coordination for continuous availability of reagents, equipment functionality, supplies and commodities, implementation of Laboratory quality systems and promotion use laboratory data for accessible, efficient and uninterrupted laboratory testing services.
Roles and responsibilities :
• Lead the planning and implementation of laboratory HIV and TB supply chain management activities required for continuous availability of HIV and TB services including capacity development in supported regions and health facilities (HFs).
• Participate in regular joint supportive supervision in supported Police and Prisons HFs including mentorship to ensure uninterrupted, accessible quality HIV, TB and TB/HIV testing services at all supported HFs.
• Provide technical support on proper management of health commodities including improving inventory management practices and regular logistics data reporting to inform forecasting and quantification of HIV and TB commodities at national, R/CHMTs and HFs.
• Provide technical support to enhance implementation of HIV and TB laboratory information systems (LIS) including integrated specimen referral system and development of tools for recording and reporting to enhance laboratory data management and utilization to focus laboratory and health systems strengthening investments.
• Coordinate implementation of laboratory quality management systems in the supported regions including internal and external assessments and contribute to accreditation of laboratories and testing sites.
• Support in consultation with the MoHCDGEC development of laboratory training materials and coordinate, organize, and oversee comprehensive HIV and TB services related laboratory capacity building of laboratory and other healthcare providers (HCPs).,
• Provide high quality technical support at THPS and national level in the development/review of laboratory tools: laboratory standards, SOPs, job aids, laboratory data management tools (registers, logbooks, and sample referral forms) as needed based on national and international guidelines and standards to improve HIV and TB diagnostic services.
• To provide technical support to the MoHCDGEC in the evaluation and validation of new HIV and TB diagnostic tools including diagnostics and RCH services.
• To represent THPS and the USAID Police and Prisons Activity on laboratory-related issues at the donor and MoHCDGEC technical meetings as well as work closely with both the donors and MoHCDGEC in harmonizing HIV and TB services.
• Carry any other laboratory-supply chain related activities assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience required;
• Basic degree in medical laboratory sciences from a recognized medical laboratory training school.
• Postgraduate degree in health sciences discipline; microbiology, molecular biology, public health, mycobacteriology.
• Additional qualification in supply chain management is an advantage
• A minimum of 5 years of successful experience as senior-level technical advisor/expert in health laboratory support services especially in HIV and TB diagnostics.
• Experience in working with PEPFAR supported programs.
• Technical knowledge and experience in the areas of HIV, TB and DR TB diagnostics in accordance with the national guidelines and Manuals.
• Proven ability to provide leadership to relevant teams at national, regional and expert groups including task forces and technical working groups
• Ability to build strong partnerships with relevant national, regional and district leaders
• Proven experience in producing high quality English-language communication products such as progress reports, presentations, and best practices documentation
• Demonstrated excellent organizational, analytical, oral, and written communication skills
• Experience and proven skills on the use of computer Office packages
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested applicants should send their application cover letter one-page maximum and CV four pages’ maximum to [email protected] by (10th November 2020) with a subject line of ‘USAID Police and Prisons Activity’. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Please do not attach any certificates when submitting online.
THPS is an equal opportunity employer; women, people living with HIV/AIDS and people living with disability are encouraged to apply.