Laboratory and Supply Chain Management Officer
Jobs at:Tanzania Health Promotion Support (THPS)
Deadline of this Job:
31 July 2020
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, July 24, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Tanzania Health Promotion Support (THPS) is an indigenous NGO established under nongovernmental organization act No 24 of 2002 in 2011. THPS works in partnership with the Ministries of Health Community Development Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC) and Presidents Office – Regional Administration and Local Governments (PORALG) and Ministry of Health in Zanzibar with a goal of ensuring accessible high-quality health care services to Tanzanians; through strengthening of health systems for quality health services. THPS is currently implementing projects in comprehensive HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care, Support and Treatment among general populations in Pwani and Kigoma regions; key and vulnerable populations across 25 district councils across 13 mainland Tanzania regions and Health laboratory services strengthening in all mainland regions and Zanzibar. Additionally, THPS implements research and evaluations across health programs to generate evidence that informs public health interventions.
THPS has been awarded a five years USAID Cooperative Agreement number 72067120CA00004 – Uhuru TB &FP LON Activity, aimed at improving access and use of quality Tuberculosis (TB) and family planning (FP) services for better health outcomes for Tanzanian citizens. The Activity will be implemented in Katavi, Kigoma, Rukwa and Songwe regions. THPS therefore is seeking competent, experienced, dynamic and qualified candidates to fill the positions listed below.
Laboratory and Supply Chain Management Officer
Reports to: Zonal Project Manager
Position Location: Kigoma, Tanzania
Overall Job Function
The Laboratory and Supply Chain Management Officer is responsible to provide technical support to ensure supported health facilities in focus regions operate in accordance to Ministry of Health Community Development Gender Elderly (MOHCDGEC), National TB and Leprosy Program (NTLP) standards, guidelines and protocols for TB diagnostics and supply chain management. To maintain continuous functionality of health laboratories to support clinical services, TB and HIV diagnosis, and management of other co-morbidities. Support implementation of laboratory quality systems and training of laboratory and other health care providers in the supported regions and health facilities. To support continuous quality improvement of laboratory quality improvement using national and international laboratory standards and support all laboratory and non-laboratory testing to the highest quality possible. Participate in project and joint supportive supervision in the supported regions and HFs to ensure availability and accessible quality laboratory services. Works in close collaboration with zonal and regional teams to ensure the goals and objectives of the Uhuru Activity are achieved. The position involves at least 60% field travel. .
• To support implementation of laboratory and supply chain management activities required for TB and reproductive health services and capacity development in supported regions and health facilities (HFs)To provide technical assistance to facility-level lab personnel, including regular and systematic observation of TB testing procedures and ongoing site level supportive supervision and mentorship.
• To build capacity of Regional and District laboratory technologists (RTL and DTL) in providing ongoing mentorship and supportive supervision to laboratory and non-laboratory health providers in supported health facilities.
• Support proper management of TB and reproductive health commodities and supplies at R/CHMTs and HFs and promote effective inventory management practices for relevant TB and RH commodities at HFs for uninterrupted services.
• Work closely to THPS zonal teams and regional, council and hospital management teams (R/CHMT, and HMTs) and other laboratory stakeholders to improve laboratory performance.
• Build capacity of laboratory health providers in appropriate lab logistics management to ensure uninterrupted lab services across all supported health facilities.
• Support laboratory staff in in health facilities at supported zones to implement laboratory quality management system as per national laboratory policy.
• To provide ongoing mentorship to laboratory staff and health care providers on performing quality laboratory services and interpretation of laboratory parameters.
• Assist in the preparation and delivery of proficiency testing for EQA from laboratory and non-laboratory sites.
• Conduct supportive supervision and mentorship to laboratories under accreditation process and organize/ coordinate training programs/continue medical education as appropriate to address gaps identified during supportive supervision.
• Provide technical assistance to facility level lab managers, Quality Officers including: establishing routine workflows; developing/refining SOPs and job aides including planning of lab activities to improve tests performance and reduce turnaround time.
• To help implement and monitor efficient documentation of laboratory results at the sites, as well as effective linkage between laboratories and clinical services.
• Perform any other duties as assigned.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Qualifications, Experience & Skills Required
• Bachelor's Degree in Medical Laboratory Science, or Molecular Biology and Biotechnology or its equivalent
• At least three years’ experience in TB laboratory related services.
• Knowledge and skills in general clinical laboratory science including clinical chemistry, hematology, HIV and TB diagnostics National specimen referral systems, eLMIS and LIS for HIV and TB services.
• Knowledge and practical experience Laboratory Quality Management Systems and laboratory Accreditation.
• Ability to work under minimum supervision.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Kiswahili
• Basic computer skills with minimum of Microsoft Office package.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested applicants should send their application cover letter one page maximum and CV four pages maximum to ( [email protected] ) by 31st July, 2020 with a subject line of ‘USAID Uhuru TB & FP LON Facility Solutions Activity – Position’ e.g. USAID Uhuru TB & FP LON Facility Solutions Activity – Zonal Project Manager. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Please do not attach any certificates when submitting online.
THPS is an equal opportunity employer; women, people living with HIV/AIDS and people living with disability are encouraged to apply.