Individual Consultant - To Assist Tanzania With Preparations for Nopv2 Readiness And Ensure Strengthening of Surveillance Post Introduction of NOPV2 - (2103480)
Deadline of this Job:
13 August 2021
Within Tanzania , Tanzania , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Individual Consultant - To Assist Tanzania With Preparations for Nopv2 Readiness And Ensure Strengthening of Surveillance Post Introduction of NOPV2 - (2103480)
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: External consultant
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 05 MONTHS
Closing Date: Aug 13, 2021, 12:59:00 AM
Primary Location : Tanzania, United Republic of-Dar-es-Salaam
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings.
Tanzania was certified as Polio- Free country by ARCC in November 2015 with the last Polio cases traced back to July 1996. The country has achieved and maintained standard AFP surveillance performance indicators and ensured key performance indicators. Surveillance performance varies slightly between regions (1st administrative level) but varies significantly among councils (2nd Administrative level).
Despite the remarkable achievement, there are councils with persistently low performance dung 2019-2020. These Councils with low sensitivity for surveillance, poses a risk for undetected transmission in the community. Lack of proper succession plan, high turnover of experienced health care workers on surveillance due to retirement and transfer creating a knowledge gap on AFP surveillance.
WHO SAGE endorsed the use of nOPV2 Under the Emergency Use Listing, authorized for cVDPV2 outbreak response only (like mOPV2) and countries urged to consider for preparing for use of nOPV2 under EUL to stop transmissions of cVDPV. Guidance for deployment has been provided through updated GPEI Standard Operating Procedures. Since Tanzania is surrounded with countries experiencing outbreaks of cVDPV2, the need to intensify routine immunization and AFP surveillance is of paramount importance.
Consequently, this ToR is put together for the consultant to support intensification of surveillance and preparations for imminent use of nOPV2 in case of imported case.
1. Purpose of the Position
Consultants with vast experience in country support to assist countries at risk of cVDPV2 seeding from mOPV2 use in neighboring countries and to assist with preparations for nOPV2 readiness. The consultants with experience in environmental surveillance, strengthening AFP surveillance and conducting of mOPV2, IPV, fractional dose IPV, bOPV and integrated campaigns. To ensure strengthening of surveillance post introduction of nOPV2 (critical for licensing the vaccine).
The consultant will assist with improving quality of immunization campaigns and surveillance for poliovirus for eradication of poliomyelitis due to wild or vaccine related poliovirus in case it happens in Tanzania and to more rapidly detect and interrupt any new outbreaks due to wild or vaccine-derived polioviruses.
2. Objectives of the Programme and of the immediate Strategic Objective
To eradicate poliomyelitis due to wild or vaccine related poliovirus. Complete the interruption of wild poliovirus transmission globally, and more rapidly detect and interrupt any new outbreaks due to wild or vaccine-derived polioviruses.
3. Organizational context
Under the direct supervision of the WHO Polio Team Leader, the incumbent will perform the required duties within the framework of WHO program and policy documents.
Summary of Assigned Duties
1. Provide technical guidance for coordination and planning of Supplementary Immunization Activities (SIA) planning in endemic and outbreak-affected countries as well as SIA activities to reduce vulnerability in countries at high risk of outbreaks.
2. Provide effective response to any importation of wild poliovirus or outbreak of circulating vaccine derived poliovirus in previously polio-free areas through planning, implementation, and coordination with GPEI partners for response to outbreaks in accordance with global guidelines.
3. Monitor progress and identify risks in regions and districts assigned.
4. Promote activities to enhance Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) surveillance, including rapid surveillance assessments, development of action plans to improve surveillance, evaluation of the impact of these plans, and training/orientation of national and sub-national staff.
5. Identify training needs, evaluate and document outbreak response activities to ensure that all lessons learned are effectively incorporated into current best practices.
6. Develop and manage approaches in assigned countries that can achieve polio eradication while contributing to strengthening routine immunization systems.
7. To ensure strengthening of surveillance post introduction of nOPV2.
8. Assist with preparations for nOPV2 readiness.
9. Submit monthly report.
10. Perform other duties, as may be requested by supervisor.
Major output from consultant:
• Produce a summary report with all surveillance indicators monthly and provide feedback to regions and districts.
• Produce mission reports after each field surveillance visit and submit to IVD Team leader.
• Provide a list of surveillance priority sites and matrix for supportive supervision.
• Produce report of regional review meetings and comprehensive report of performance quarterly to IVD Team leader.
• Produce report of status of preparations for nOPV2 use/introduction.
The consultant should normally have the following qualifications:
• Advanced degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Services Management or related field.
• At least 5 years working in health sector in Tanzania.
• Good understanding of the Tanzania health system;
• Good undestanding of immunzation services ;
• Experience in working as National STOP Polio team
• Considerable exprience in Vaccine preventable diseases surveillance especially AFP and measles casebased surveillance.
• Exprience in working with multiple health sector stakeholders;
• Excellent writing and presentation skills;
• Indepeth understanding of the Expanded Program on Immunisation is a distinct advantage;
• Demonstrated ability to motivate people of diverse background to resolving problems while promoting effective team work.
Duration of Support:
The duration of work for a consultant will be 4-5 months from signing of contract with monthly report submitted to IVD Team leader.
Fees and payment schedule:
The consultant will be paid as per NOC scale per month and allowances for travel will be provided including transport.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Job application procedure
Interested individual should send cover letter and comprehensive resume outlining similar work/assignments to the following email address [email protected] , by 13th August 2021, 13:00pm.