Health Emergency Specialist
Deadline of this Job:
25 February 2021
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, February 12, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. .
And we never give up.
For every child,Care
71,051,805 cases were recorded due to the Covid-19 pandemic by 14th December 2020 and 1,608,648 deaths. The COVID-19 outbreak was declared by WHO Director General a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) on 30 January 2020 and a global pandemic on 11 March 2020. A total of 509 cumulative COVID-19 cases were reported by April 29th and May 7th for Tanzania Mainland (375) and Zanzibar (134) respectively. The Government of Tanzania declared a significant reduction of COVID-19 cases in June 2020, and the Ministry of Health professed the end of the first wave but suggested that the country may experience a second wave which requires a robust continuity of readiness to respond to any re-emerging disease outbreak UNICEF is currently reviewing COVID-19 response plan to realign it to the National COVID response plan focusing on supporting the Government to access COVAX, PPE and strengthening RCCE. In addition, institutional WASH, System strengthening, and Continuation of Essential Services will be emphasised in the revised COVID-19 response plan.
UNICEF Tanzania CO is seeking to engage an experienced Health emergencies specialist, to support urgent planning, implementation, and monitoring of the TCO COVID-19 response plan for Health.Under the direction and guidance of the Chief of Health, the incumbent will coordinate overall Tanzania Country Office health emergency preparedness and response, in response to COVID-19 and other public health related emergencies. The incumbent will be responsible for health sector preparedness and response and for coordinating and monitoring interventions
How can you make a difference?
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
• Provide technical support to UNICEF and partners including contributing to the development of or sharing relevant standards, protocols, guidelines and training materials for Health in emergencies.
• Support the UNICEF Country offices in the development/update on health emergency response plans and other relevant documents as needed.
• Be deployed on a short notice in the framework of UNICEF staff surge mechanism to support outbreak or other health emergencies.
• Conduct joint field visits and evaluations with relevant health sector/cluster partners.
• Contribute to UNICEF’s Health Emergencies response strategy, work planning, contingency planning processes with other sectors to ensure cross sectoral response programming and resilience building.
• Oversee project supply chain in coordination with UNICEF operations staff to ensure that essential medicines, COVAX and other medical supplies are provided to government and NGO partners as needed.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
• Advanced university degree in Public Health, Health Sciences, Community Health or related fields (preferably with specialised training on public health in complex emergencies, in epidemiology and/or disease control).
• Five years of professional work experience in public health, with field experience in responding to health emergencies. This includes coordination & partnerships, risk assessments, planning, programming, implementation monitoring and evaluation of public health emergency programs relevant to communicable disease control.
• Background/familiarity in emergency preparedness and response, preferably in the control of COVID-19 and other VHFs considered an asset.
• Working experience with UNICEF, WHO or international health NGOs in emergency health an asset.
• Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Education Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
To apply please click here