Medical Teams International Calling:
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
The Finance Manager is responsible for the overall management of all financial operations, financial reporting activities and the finance team. He/she will advise the Country Director in all financial-related issues and on occasions report to external donors and partners.
- Attend regular meetings and actively engage at country level management planning and activities, and providing technical input to the overall operation of the country program;
- Integrate Finance activities within all program departments and support teams; fostering collaborative, coordinated and close working relations;
- Provide overall management and coordination of the country office finance activities and finance team;
- Accountable for the implementation of Medical Teams International’s finance policies and procedures, ensure effective financial management, asset management and financial accountability within the country office;
- Responsible for financial management including: banking, cash flow and asset management;
- Review and approve transactions in ERP (when finalized) and ensure a soft-close is made by 6 th of every month ready for HQ review;
- Ensure quality and accurate monthly and year end finance reporting.
Budget and Donor Finance Management
- Support the Country Manager in the budgeting process and ensure review, consolidation and submission of country budget;
- Support annual planning and lead in annual and project budget preparation of the country program and provide support to the team;
- Compile the projects financial information and budgets in a comprehensive country finance budget/ plan for the review by the Country Manager;
- Verify budgets prepared by program teams for accuracy and advise on design for optimum monitoring;
- Sign off on budgets before submission to the Country Manager for authorization
- Ensure that donor requirements, policies and procedures are met;
- Monitor the donor reporting schedule and the program business cycle to ensure timely and accurate financial donor reports are prepared and submitted consistent with narrative reports;
- Work with the headquarters Finance team to manage the preparation of financial reports of donors according to set deadlines;
- Ensure a complete audit trail from primary documentation to the accounting system for accurate and rapid donor reporting and general record keeping;
- Support program staff in the preparation of program and project budgets, as well as annual Medical Teams International budgets and manage the preparation of financial projections/forecasts necessary for effective monitoring and review.
Operational Financial Management and Compliance
- Ensure that all financial procedures are consistent with Medical Teams International standards, are clearly defined, understood and are implemented effectively;
- Ensure finance policies, systems and procedures changes are communicated and implemented appropriately through regular communications;
- Advise headquarters and country office management of any challenges/developments in governments policies, statutory and legal requirements in Tanzania with regard to the financial function;
- Supervise the preparation of routine (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual) management reports to meet the needs of headquarters and in-country management;
- Ensure payments are released after thorough verification by checking the documentation, relevant budget codes and ensuring the mathematical accuracy;
- Ensure internal control mechanisms are in place and implemented;
- Ensure effective asset management in close collaboration with logistics;
- Liaise with banks, auditors, donors and local tax authorities;
- Take lead in audit preparation, sourcing external auditors and support program staff in preparation for external and internal audits;
- Ensure that audit recommendations are implemented and maintained.
People Management and Capacity Building
- Support the recruitment and onboarding of finance staff;
- Support the Country Manager on all matters of finance specifically budget preparation, monitoring, control and reporting with a view to ensuring good financial standards are met.
- Bring significant risks, real and potential to the attention of the Country Manager and headquarters VP Finance and Administration;
- Be familiar with the laws of the country and ensure organizational compliance; support Country Manager to ensure that the organization adheres to all relevant statutory/legal requirements in country.
- Lead on project partner organization assessments re: finance and grants management;
- Build finance management capacity of national partner organizations to meet the compliance requirements of the Government, Donors and Medical Teams International;
- Regular finance monitoring visits to partner organizations and follow up monitoring visits recommendations.
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned.
LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Accounting & Finance. Required
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Professional Certification and Membership: CPA, ACCA, CFA, CIMA (ACPA Membership required).
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in finance management
- Minimum 5-7 years of relevant INGO experience is an added advantage.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles;
- Knowledge of institutional donor requirements especially UN Partners, OFDA, US Government, etc.
- Management systems software e.g., Unit 4; SAP, Navision, NetSuite, Sunsystem.
- Expertise in the application of strategic financial management and experience in maximizing resource utilization;
- Knowledge of Project Cycle Management.
- Proven experience managing donor reporting schedules and production of donor reports;
- Strong budget preparation and personnel management skills;
- Flexible, e.g., ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously;
- Detail oriented, e.g., ability to maintain accurate records;
- A good command of both written and spoken English; fluent in Swahili;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work independently with minimum supervision and within a team; patient, trustworthy, understanding and of a pleasant character;
- High degree of analytical skills.
- Ability to operate and think strategically, coupled with proven analytical skills and ability to make firm decisions;
- Ability to communicate effectively & professional both verbally and in writing;
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, employees and external clients;
- Highly organized with good quantitative ability
- Ability to act with integrity and maintain the highest ethical standards.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information.
- Ability to support MTI Calling and adhere to the MTI Code of Conduct
This position requires frequent travel to health facilities located in remote areas with very basic living conditions.
- All interested applicants who meet the criteria should email their application letter and CV in either PDF or Word only, including three work related referee to: [email protected]
- Indicate your expected salary, current/previous salary, and notice period at the bottom of your CV.
- Indicate clearly the position applied for in the subject line” Finance Manager ”.
- Application Deadline : 21 st of July 2021 at 1700HRS.
NOTE: This vacancy is for Tanzanians only.