Evidence & Insights Specialist, TEGA
Jobs at:Girl Effect
Deadline of this Job:
29 October 2021
Within Tanzania , Tanzania , East Africa
Date Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Who We Are
Girl Effect is an international non-profit that builds media that girls want, trust and need.
From chat-bots to chat-shows and TV dramas to tech, our content is reaching millions of girls in Africa and Asia to make choices and changes in their lives. Igniting their confidence to act differently at a time that can define their future.
We create safe spaces for girls, sharing facts, and answering questions about health, nutrition, education, relationships and so much more. And we use innovative technology so we can reach girls at scale. We arm girls with the skills to negotiate and redefine what they are told is possible, so every girl can choose to be in control of her body, her health, her learning and livelihood.
When a girl unlocks her power to make different choices that change her life, it inspires others to do so too. She starts a ripple effect that impacts her family, her community, her country. That’s the Girl Effect.
In Tanzania we have a youth brand called Tujibebe. Tujibebe is a multimedia platform which encourages positive behavior change for girls in Tanzania by tackling real-life challenges through entertaining stories. Our audio drama is the core product through which our characters model behaviour change journeys in order to deliver behaviour change messaging. As well as the audio drama we develop engaging, supporting content that can be consumed via a range of platforms, including online, on radio and through club networks.
Adolescent girls are one of the hardest groups to reach in society. The challenges they face are often under-reported or described on their behalf. Without the inclusion of their perspective, solutions designed to support them aren’t as effective as they could be.
Co-created with girls, TEGA (Technology Enabled Girl Ambassadors) is Girl Effect's mobile based research tool that allows girls to collect real-time insights into the lives of their peers. This unique approach, unlocks the open and honest conversations that might otherwise be lost or not included in traditional research.
TEGA networks have gathered data from girls and communities on topics including HIV, nutrition, economic empowerment, health and wellbeing, vaccines, mobile access, social media and education. This girl-talk method is especially useful when researching sensitive topics like HIV or sexual health.
Context of the Role
The Evidence & Insights team within Girl Effect conducts formative research, content testing, monitoring & evaluation to support the organisation in designing and developing our work to create the greatest impact for girls.
We work closely with the create team to co create and test content with the targeted audience and also with the partnerships team to measure and evaluate our work against our specific objectives and demonstrate our impact to existing and potential donors.
The team plays a key role in ensuring we are a learning organisation, collecting and using data and insights to understand how we can maximise our reach & impact, and feeding that learning back into the organisation.
The aim of this role is to successfully support the ongoing evidence related work across Tanzania and the implementation of the TEGA research projects in Dar es Salaam.
The Evidence and TEGA specialist will work in close collaboration with the Evidence team, TEGA team, Safeguarding teams and Programmes team - both in Tanzania and across other Girl Effect offices. They will also work closely with the organisation that implements the TEGA project in Tanzania, Restless Development.
What You Will Do
• Support in evidence projects, including tool design, data collection, data management and analysis, and report writing
• Contribute/Provide input/ advise on fit-for purpose designs suggesting qualitative and/or quantitative methodologies or other approaches (e.g. using digital methods or secondary data sources) as appropriate
• Ensure that Girl Effect’s ethical and safeguarding standards are upheld, and that field implementation is conducted to the highest standards, through support in providing training and oversight of field research partners in-country
• Work closely with the evidence & insights senior manager to ensure Quality Assurance of all Evidence and TEGA projects including conducting spot checks and field visits to our field research partners and TEGA implementing partner respectively
• Undertake desk-based research including literature reviews on specific themes and subjects relating to brands when needed
• Ensure that research outputs are accessible and readily understandable, helping them to be as useful and used as possible
• Oversee the coordination and reviewing of transcripts and translations of research tools and responses
• General support and coordination, managing a TEGA network calendar, ensuring it’s kept up to date and that all team members are aware of any changes, and project meetings
• Work closely with Girl Effect evidence teams and product leads to design research studies and ensure that TEGA research methods are fit-for-purpose, girl-centered, appropriate for different cultural and social contexts and effectively generating insights for internal and external end-users
• Work with evidence colleagues to ensure TEGA research contributes to the implementation of Girl Effect Tanzania’s brand and networks monitoring framework
• Support the evidence team in communicating TEGA data in an engaging way, through innovative use of storytelling, data visualisation and other communication approaches, to drive research uptake and learning and support evidence-based decision-making across Girl Effect teams
• Design training/ refresher training of TEGAs and local partners
• Manage the TEGA professional development process and provide quality feedback to TEGAs
• Oversee TEGA database and collate TEGA portfolios for Market Research Society qualifications
• Involve TEGAs in research design, survey design in a systematic and coordinated way
• Ensure Knowledge sharing from your network feeds into the Central TEGA team by way of adding to the Project Management Guides, joining regular Project Management calls and sharing key TEGA network success and challenges where possible
• Support in the TEGA Evidence Manager, in the capacity building of the TEGA
Who You Are
• Substantial experience (minimum 3 years) in applied research and/or monitoring and evaluation
• Demonstrated experience in implementation of high quality qualitative research design, fieldwork, data analysis and reporting (Quantitative skills will be an added advantage)
• Experience with participatory approaches, and ideally of working with young people and/ or girls specifically
• Strong qualitative data analysis skills; proficient with qualitative data analysis software packages
• Good quantitative data analysis skills and quantitative data analysis software will be an added advantage
• Strong cultural awareness and sensitivity about the cultures within which Girl Effect operates
• Creative and inquisitive mindset with strong communication and organisational skills
• Excellent written and fluent spoken English & Kiswahili. Additional local languages are a plus.
• High attention to detail
• Commitment to realising the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect
• Experience delivering training, mentoring or capacity building young researchers, interns or volunteers is desirable
• Experience working with Local Government Authorities (LGAs) and an understanding of the LGA structure
• Background in evaluating programmes that relate to women and girls
• Expertise in one of either brand/media market strategy or social and behavior change theory
• Technical/theoretical knowledge in one or more of Girl Effect’s thematic areas (e.g. gender, sexual and reproductive health, economic empowerment etc.)
• Experience working with digital analytics data (e.g. Facebook analytics, Google Analytics etc)
• Experience in training and mentoring others in research methods, data analysis and reporting
• Literate in mobile tech development and tech troubleshooting
What Else You Should Know
As we continue to scale and grow - we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective. In turn, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Girl Effect is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organization that is increasingly representative of the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to recruiting candidates with diverse professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.
Please click here to apply.
This role is being recruited on a 12 month fixed term contract basis
This role is subject to an enhanced background disclosure
Closing date for applications: 29th October 2021