Job Title: Development and External Partnerships Manager (DEPM)
Reporting to: CEO
Duty Station: Bunda, Tanzania
Travel required: Up to 50% Domestic and International travel
ABOUT TEACH FOR TANZANIA
Teach For Tanzania (TFT) is an independent, Not for-Profit-organization whose vision is to ensure that one day, all children in Tanzania have access to high quality education. We exist to break the cycle of poverty by expanding educational opportunities to all children in Tanzania. Our approach involves hiring promising university graduates and equipping them with teaching and leadership skills to effect change in underserved classrooms across the country in a 6 weeks training. After the training, fellows serve as fulltime teachers for two (2) years in high-need government primary schools across Tanzania where they commit to working towards transforming the education outcomes of less-privileged children by significantly improving their achievements and aspirations. In the long term, TFT Alumni become part of a unique class of leaders, working in various sectors in our economy to expand educational opportunities for all children in Tanzania. Our inaugural cohort of 29 fellows have been working as full-time teachers in 12 government primary schools in Bunda and Serengeti districts impacting over 2,320 students.
The DEPM will work closely with the CEO on setting and executing high-level development strategies. He/Shewill be responsible for the overall coordination of the planning, development, and management of the fundraising strategy. These activities will ensure effective engagement of stakeholders in raising slightly overUSD 1Million over the next 3 yearsand enable TFT to reach an organization goal to impact the learning and life outcomes of over 13,000 students and develop over 100 leaders.
The successful candidate will:
1. Support the establishment of enabling partnerships and environment for an appropriate pathway to scale for TFT in Tanzania. He/she will build on the team efforts to support the sustainable scaling of TFT program work by supporting the CEO to develop and manage relationships across sectors locally and globally including with Private Sector, Foundations, bilateral and multilateral organizations and fundraise for resources required to support TFT in executing its mission of ensuring all children have access to high quality education
2. Manage opportunity pipeline tracking planning based on donor mapping, strategic direction and areas of alignment prioritizing grant opportunities aligned with TFT strategic priorities.
3. Support the CEO in creating uniquely tailored donor experiences in fundraising initiatives including but not limited to crowdfunding campaigns locally and internationally, corporate fundraiser events. He/She will be responsible for proposal writing, reporting and ensuring effective communication and follow up with our local and external partners.
4. Work closely with the Programs and communications team to develop compelling content to highlight our impact to our partners as and organize engaging site visits for partners to effectively share the impact of our work in real time.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for someone who believes deeply in our vision/mission and is aligned to our Core Values:** People Centered, Sense of Possibility, Lifelong Learning & Locally Rooted & Globally Informed .**These Core Values are a vital component of our organization's culture to ensure long-term sustainable success, and therefore we view them as an important component of the selection of new team members and Fellows. We are looking for a likeminded leader to grow with us and envision a Tanzania where the education system guarantees all our children their right to a high-quality education and enables them to thrive in the fast-changing globally connected economies.
Other qualities include:
1. A critical thinker with strong writing skills. You have experience drafting successful proposals for funding. You can write thoroughly, yet simply, about complex topics. You have a sharp eye and can write about both broad themes and minute details.
2. Collaborative spirit.We want someone who actively listens and communicates. You connect easily with her/his team and gain their trust and respect. Who can work well across departments — with executive team members, representatives of other Teach for All network partners, and organizational peers
3. Resourcefulness. You are able to identify and initiate like-minded stakeholders for projects during proposal development as necessary. When presented with problems, you know where to go to find answers.
4. Project management skills. You can scope and track potential opportunities, organize proposal calendars, develop collaborative timelines and execute action plans.
5. Team player. You work well with others and enjoy seeing the impact of our work as a team.
6. Multitasks. You are able to juggle multiple tasks at once while ‘staying calm and carrying on.’ You think strategically, handle ambiguity and work well in a multicultural environment.
1. Researching, cultivating, developing and maintaining partnerships (individual donors, private foundations and companies) with current donors and new prospects (40% of time):
· In close collaboration with the CEO, ensure alignment and fulfillment of the complete relationship-building process, starting from potential donor identification and research through closing the deal and further stewardship.
· Plan and executea sequence of communications, actions, and events for each donor in the portfolio to ensure uniquely tailored donor experiences.
· Closely work with the CEO to cultivate relationship with private companies to solicit funds through their CSR (corporate social responsibility) both locally (in Tanzania) and internationally.
· Collect and synthesize relevant statistics, stories, and anecdotes from our fellows, teachers, children and communities for tailoring donor pitches and meeting materials for use in prospect meetings.
· Developing pitches, strategies, plans, and compelling donor-related content to achieve goals for different donor segments*.*
· Staying on top of fundraising trends, innovations, ideas and insight in the social enterprise space and crafting innovative strategies, insights and ideas that would sell the brand of TFT better and position us as a leading education development partner in Tanzania, in the region and globally
2. Creating and maintaining effective donor management tools (30% of time), including the following:
· Managing our database of donor stewardship and cultivation accounts, our funding tracker, and using them efficiently and effectively to ensure effective communication with all current and prospective donors. The management of the accounts includes being responsible for the full cycle of activities related to donor cultivation, starting from early outreach to finalizing partnerships, and ongoing communication to keep the current and potential donors engaged in and motivated by TFTs work. .
· Draft donor reports, reach out to current and potential donors, analyze trends in donations, identifying gaps and devise means to mitigate those gaps
· Coordinate the fundraising actions of the CEO, board members and other teams and employees to ensure quality communication with prospects and donors
3. Ensure financial health of the organization (30%)
· With the CEO, prepare realistic, consistent and measurable annual development and partnerships budget with information detailing the amount necessary to meet the budget criteria. This budget must be submitted and approved by the CEO
· Develop a strong and long-term fundraising and development strategy that enables TFT to position itself effectively within the public relations, marketing and communications spaces for game-changing social enterprises.
· Support fiscal management that anticipates development and volunteer programs to operate within the approved budget, ensure maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
1. Minimum Bachelor’s degree in International Development /Communications/ Marketing/ Economics/International Relationsor related field
2. At least three (3) years of relevant work experience including progressively responsible experience working in non-profit fundraising or private partnership building, donor cultivation, marketing and other related fields.
Desirable knowledge and Skills
1. Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, networking and communication skills
2. Ability to engage with multilateral, bilateral, corporate and development partners.
3. Ability to lead dialogue, identify and analyse trends, opportunities, and challenges
4. Initiative taker, self-motivated and a commitment to continuously produce results focus on impact and results
5. Excellent writing skills
6. Demonstrated capacity to establish and maintain excellent relationships with key partners
7. Self-motivated, initiative taker and working towards achieving results
8. Understanding of development sector and best practices in international donor relations
9. Demonstrated knowledge of grants management, monitoring, assessments, and reviews
10. Excellent understanding of resource mobilisation strategies, cycles, and activities
11. Excellent leadership, coordination, and relationship building
JOB TYPE AND COMPENSATION
The above position will be for a period of 2 years, renewable depending on performance, and availability of funding. A competitive remuneration package will be offered commensurate with qualifications, skills and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume with 3 professional referees and a one-page cover letterto [email removed]
Please indicate the position applied for in the subject line of your email. Your cover letter should include why you are interested in Teach ForTanzania, andwhy you’re a perfect fit for the DEPM role. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
The DEPM will work closely with the CEO on setting and executing high-level development strategies. He/Shewill be responsible for the overall coordina