Deadline of this Job:
24 July 2020
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Country Director will collaborate with Americares headquarters to determine and drive the strategic vision for Americares Tanzania. S/he will represent Americares in Tanzania with external constituents and develop and maintain positive relationships with government, multilateral, and NGO partners. The Country Director will provide programmatic direction and oversight for Americares programs in all Tanzania offices, and will oversee finances, operations, and staff management. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. .
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: **
Program Development, Implementation and Evaluation
• Oversee current portfolio of health programs, including but not limited to maternal and child health, fistula, infection prevention and control, and access to medicines in Mwanza and Kibondo;
• Provide support as required for the startup and implementation of the USAID-funded 5-year Community Partnerships for Respect Care (CPRC) Project, which will be implemented in Mwanza, Mara and Shinyanga districts;
• Lead efforts to strengthen existing programming, including standardizing and systematizing program planning, curriculum development and monitoring and evaluation activities;
• Participate in long-term planning and strategy with HQ staff;
• Work with Americares HQ and Americares Tanzania program team to design, develop, and implement new projects consistent with Americares strategy and Tanzanian Ministry of Health strategic priorities;
• Ensure program activities are completed on time and within budget;
• Oversee disbursement of grant funding to local partners including timely implementation of planned activities and appropriate expenditure of funds
• Analyze results and outcomes of Americares projects
• Oversee gift-in-kind medical assistance distribution, including the vetting of local partners, warehouse inventory management, and the import/customs clearance process; and
• Ensure compliance with local and international regulatory issues in program development and implementation.
Financial Management and Compliance
• Overall responsibility for fiscal soundness of country operation and maintenance of effective internal controls;
• Ensure Tanzania office compliance with HQ and local guidelines and requirements, including timely financial reporting to HQ as required;
• Oversee effective cash management, review and approve financial reporting and budgeting;
• Ensure compliance in Tanzania with USAID policies and statutory regulations including procurement, branding and marking and the Protection of Life in Global Health Assistance (PLGHA).
Field Office Operations/Human Resource Management
• Manage full Tanzania team and directly supervise direct reports;
• Provide leadership, promote professionalism and teamwork, build working relationships, and mentor all Americares Tanzania staff members to work effectively and as representatives of Americares;
• Develop and implement policies for field office operations, ensuring that policies are in line with local regulations and link to organizational policies and procedures;
• Ensure compliance with all labor laws and laws governing operation as a registered NGO in Tanzania;
• In coordination with Americares HQ, identify human resource needs and recruit staff to meet those needs; and
• Oversee employee and overall team performance and annual performance review process.
• Report to HQ in a timely and thorough way on all field office staff issues/incidents;
• Prepare regular reports to HQ on country and program activities; and
• Coordinate with Americares HQ, including Global Programs, Finance, Development, and Communications as appropriate.
Representation and Coordination
• Serve as official representative of Americares in all government and community affairs;
• Actively engage local stakeholders and pursue collaboration and partnerships with other NGOs, INGOs, relevant Ministries, and private sector.
New Business Development
• In coordination with Americares HQ, identify sources of funding for Americares programs;
• Prepare concept notes, contribute to proposals, meet with potential donors, and lead Americares resource acquisition efforts in Tanzania.
Security, Health and Safety
• Update, implement and adhere to security policies;
• Coordinate security planning, monitoring, and systems with peer organizations, the UN system, and local authorities; and
• Conduct discussions to identify and determine approaches to address staff’s stress levels and sense of security.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
• University Degree in Global Health, International Development, International Relations/Affairs, Public Administration or related field; Master’s Degree preferred;
• 15 years’ work experience and significant experience in a Country Director or similar senior role with an INGO;
• Experience designing and implementing development projects funded by USAID and other bilateral or multilateral donor agencies;
• Proven track record of developing budgets, supervising financial reporting, and ensuring compliance with donor rules and regulations, preferably USAID
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interface with high level government, NGO, and INGO officials and authorities;
• Working knowledge of USAID rules and regulations governing assistance agreements (2CFR200, 2 CFR700, ADS, Standard Provisions, and others);
• Knowledge of public health, RMNCH, family planning, nutrition, and/or health systems strengthening in low-resource settings;
• Proven experience mentoring and building capacity of staff
• Excellent interpersonal skills and strong communications skills;
• Strong organizational skills, capacity to think strategically, and attention to detail;
• Excellent English-language writing skills and demonstrated experience meeting USAID and other donor reporting requirements;
• Proficiency in Office 365 including Word, Excel, Teams, PowerPoint and SharePoint;
• Willingness and ability to travel up to two weeks per month; and
• Unrestricted authorization to work in Tanzania
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Please submit your application using the link below: https://americares.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/824?c=americares