Coordinator – UG Safety
Jobs at:Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML)
Deadline of this Job:
31 August 2021
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
ABOUT GEITA GOLD MINING LTD
Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents. The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Gold fields of North Western Tanzania, only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s South East of the nearest point of Lake Victoria. The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam. Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Position: Coordinator – UG Safety
Contract type & Duration: Unspecified time
Department: Underground Mining
Reporting to: Mine Foreman
Number of Positions: One (1)
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The role is responsible for Providing the technical support to GGML employees, visitors, and all Contractors and Sub-contractors linked with provision of service to UG Mining Operation on both permanent and short-term basis. Also assisting UG Mine Foreman, UG Specialist and Senior Manager UG to develop and implement the GGML Integrated Safety Management System, Major hazard standard, Critical controls monitoring, Zero Harm innovation/initiatives and a safe working environment sufficient to maintain GGM’s social license to operate in Tanzania and comply with the AGA, CARO and GGML frameworks for best practice internationally.
• Certificate of Ordinary Secondary education
• Valid Tanzanian Driving License with UG Driving Experience
• Not less than five years working experience in an Underground Environment.
• Having knowledge of Underground Mining Practices
• Having knowledge of safety KPI’s and Tracking of safety records
• WMRS experience, conducting risk assessments and tracking KPI’s
• Having experience of MS word & excel application
MAIN OR KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Ensuring that all services and operations are undertaken with due regard to the AGA OHS policy and standards in line with ISO 45001:2018 System, IMIU and ICMI code Requirements.
• Ensuring that the Underground department complies to environmental management system (EMS) in line with ISO 14001: 2015
• Advise and assist the UG Mine Foreman to plan, implement and monitor implementation of the GGM Integrated Safety Management system, including ISO 45001:2018, legal, and AGA/CAR policy standards.
• Providing professional and technical support to the UG Mine Foreman in the monitoring and developing programs to ensure that all GGM operating procedures comply with AGA, CARO and GGM Safety frameworks and best practice standards.
• Conduct research and recommend to the UG Mine Foreman on developing Safety Programs based on new findings.
• Review safety performance and recommend to the UG Mine Foreman a systematic program to monitor employees, equipment, and contractors, for effective compliance with Safety Management practices, standards, and requirements.
• Cooperate, participate, and facilitate IIP & Advanced Investigations, with a focus on Near misses & High potential incidents.
• Actively support the implementations, review and monitoring of targeted Safety Campaigns and related improvement initiatives.
• Cooperate and Support the UG Mine Foreman with the implementation of a GGM Fatal Risk Champion Program and related activities.
• Participate and coordinate risk assessment process on regular basis (BLRA, issue based and continuous.)
• Implement leading indicators Inspections, Hazards reporting and actions, Risk assessment, Plan tasks Observations, Safety Interventions, Safety Interaction, Caught in Act with the set target and deliverable. Further specific focus will be preparing Inspection Plan, manage implementation, daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly inspections, and report writing and regular follow up on the findings for closure. Also conduct regular unplanned workplace inspection/visits.
• Manage WMRS/ISIMS effectively and efficiently including training to all personnel under your area of accountability.
• Enforce Hazard Management Program, Facilitate AuRisk Review within Underground Mining and updates CURA system
• Undertake planned task observations and assist the team with the development of job safety analysis.
• Development and regular review of Safe work procedures as per the requirement.
• Ensure emergency management program within your area is up to date and active including planning and conducting drills.
• To evaluate potentially hazardous situations involving chemical, physical, and ergonomic stressors, as well as matters related to general workers hygiene, to provide educational programs related to health to the workers.
• To conduct incident/accident investigations as per GGM’s procedure.
• Submission of monthly activity report and any other report as required.
• Coordinate departmental & Contractors’ month safety meetings.
• Ensure all safety related support documents are in shared drives.
• Attend OHS Meetings and toolbox meetings as per the ISO 45001:2018 Communication, Consultation, Participation system element requirement.
• Assist and take part in the IMIU auditing processes.
• Lead the review to all documentation to align to document KIOSK requirement.
• Provide coaching supports to Underground HSE Reps by initiating programs that will ensure their participation and skills growth in managing the OHS risks in their respective areas
• Facilitate the awareness of mining safe working procedure to all team in the Underground mining operation.
• Holder of a Tanzania driving license and able to operate light vehicles
• Strong computer packages skills
• Mines Rescue experience.
• Accident/Incident Investigation course work.
• Understanding of leadership and how to ensure people are motivated and effective in their work.
• An understanding of cultural difference and different methods of motivation.
• Ability to be self-motivated and lead by example.
• Ability to communicate verbally and in writing to employees, site management and contractors on site.
• Ability to relate to clients and display initiative.
• Ability to counsel and mentor staff and maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to interact and work with or support other departments
• Ability to identify potential hazards and advise on minimising risks and assessing controls effectiveness
• Ability to formulate, present and evaluate training courses.
• Ability to establish priorities, follow up and complete tasks.
• Ability to create/develop work instructions, procedures & JSAs.
• Ability in preparing safety performance reports including analysis of safety Leading Indicators
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: High School
Job application procedure
• Please apply through our recruitment portal by clicking on the link
• On the portal you will be required to upload your detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates, e- mail and telephone contacts, names and addresses of three referees. Please do not attach certificates that are not related to the qualifications stated above.
• You will also be required to upload a cover / application letter addressed to “Senior Manager Human Resources, Geita Gold Mining Ltd”. Subject should be “Coordinator 1 – UG Safety”
• You will be required to present original certificates if you are contacted for interviews.
• Internal Applicants (those currently employed by AngloGold Ashanti) must have their application letter endorsed by their Head of Department (HOD) or Manager once Removed (MoR).
• Applications should reach the above on or before 31st August 2021 at 5:30 Pm
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
31 August 2021