Deadline of this Job:
23 August 2021
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, July 30, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Programme Coordination
Type of contract : Non Staff
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 23 August 2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Overview of The Functions of the Post
The Section of Education for Inclusion and Gender Equality seeks a consultant to provide programmatic and technical support during the closing of phase I of the Joint Programme on Empowering Adolescent Girls and Young Women through Education (from 1 September through 30 December 2021). The incumbent will assist particularly with the final evaluation, donor reporting and the development of knowledge management products.
The Joint Programme, which is a partnership between UNESCO, UN Women and UN Population Fund (UNFPA), aims to increase the availability and improved quality of national education, health and social services for adolescent girls and young women. It has been launched in three countries (Mali, Nepal and the United Republic of Tanzania) in its first phase which ends in December 2021. It is reaching an estimated 3 million people, including in- and out-of-school adolescent girls and young women, boys and young men, teachers, policymakers and community members.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
The Consultant shall work under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education, the overall guidance of the Director of the Division for Education 2030 and under the immediate supervision of the Chief of Section of Education for Inclusion and Gender Equality. She/he will work in close cooperation with the Programme’s Liaison Officer and the Project Advisor, and the Section’s Communication Officer, to perform the following tasks:
• Provide support to the selection process of the Contractor who will undertake the final evaluation and to the smooth implementation of the contract and its deliverables, and maintain regular contact with the Contractor.
• Assist in the organization and coordination of at least two meetings related to the evaluation (an initial and final stakeholder workshop), and prepare all necessary documents, such as agendas and notes for the record in coordination with the evaluation team.
• Work closely with the evaluation team, partners and stakeholders of the Joint Programme at global and country levels (Mali, Nepal and Tanzania) to ensure the timely delivery of the evaluation and liaise with the evaluation reference group and relevant units to deal with technical/programmatic/budgetary queries.
• Provide input, coordinate the integration of inputs, and work with the Joint Programme Secretariat to ensure quality control for the final evaluation report.
• Edit, format and proofread the final evaluation report, and liaise with the Communication Officer to coordinate the publication process of the final evaluation report, when necessary.
Technical review and validation of donor reports
Support the review process of the following reports prepared by UNESCO Field Offices in Mali, Nepal and Tanzania and edit/proofread the final draft reports for all three countries:
• 10th Bi-annual Narrative reports – three country reports in English (minimum 40 pages each).
• Final Narrative reports- three country reports in English (minimum 40 pages each).
• Annual Progress reports for the Annual Review Meeting with the donor – three country reports in English.
Knowledge management products
• Coordinate with relevant units at UNESCO HQ to produce at least two knowledge management materials, e.g. best practices and technical documents that can be used to document the programme implementation of Phase I as well as to plan for Phase II.
• Liaise with the Field Offices in Mali, Nepal and Tanzania to update information and data on beneficiaries and results that will be used for production of knowledge management materials as necessary.
Competencies (Core / Managerial)
• Accountability (C)
• Communication (C)
• Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
• Planning and organizing (C)
• Results focus (C)
• Teamwork (C)
• Professionalism (C)
• Strategic thinking (M)
• Advanced degree in education, gender, development studies, social sciences or a related field;
• At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in project management preferably with large, complex projects at the international level;
• Understanding and knowledge of UN mandates and its programming in relation to Human Rights and Gender Equality issues;
• Excellent spoken and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare clear and concise analytical reports and documents;
• Strong coordination skills and ability to interact with a wide range of internal/external partners and stakeholders.
• Work experience in the UN or experience with assignments for the UN;
• Work experience on girls’ education and gender equality in the context of education;
• Knowledge of and experience in developing knowledge management products.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
The incumbent is not required to work in France to apply for this opportunity.
Please submit your written proposal by 23 August 2021 to [email protected] indicating the following reference: Joint Programme Consultancy.