About Girls Not Brides
Girls Not Brides is a global partnership of more than 1,500 civil society organisations from over 100 countries committed to ending child marriage and ensuring girls can reach their full potential.
Members are based throughout Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Europe and the Americas. We share the conviction that every girl has the right to lead the life she chooses and that – by ending child marriage – we can achieve a safer, healthier and more prosperous future for all.
Stronger together, Girls Not Brides member organisations bring child marriage to global attention, build an understanding of what it will take to end child marriage and call for the laws, policies and programmes that will make a difference in the lives of millions of girls.
Purpose of the role
The Girls Not Brides Secretariat is looking for a consultant to facilitate a training and capacity enhancement workshop on effective communications and digital engagement for community-based youth activists in Kenya and Tanzania. The consultant will be responsible for acting as rapporteur and writing up a technical report, as well as supporting some of the logistical tasks in the run-up to the event.
The Girls Not Brides Africa Team is based in Nairobi and works closely with country-based coalitions and partnerships to end child marriage. In partnership with Girls Not Brides coalitions in Kenya and Tanzania, we are implementing a cross-border project to accelerate progress to end child marriage and other harmful practices in Migori, Kenya and Tarime, Tanzania. This is being implemented through partnering and working with youth movements and civil society organisations to lead national and sub-national efforts in ending child marriage, through several initiatives including social media, media engagement and youth-led storytelling.
For this reason, Girls Not Brides is holding a 3-day in-person workshop in July 2021 bringing together 30 youth activists working in Migori County, Kenya and Tarime district, Tanzania. Through a range of forms of expression – including art, photography, drama, creative writing, storyscapes and story circles – young people will learn how to tell their own stories of working to end child marriage and other harmful social norms in their communities. Participants will explore how to best leverage these elements for direct advocacy in their communities. The consultant will also provide technical expertise to the youth participants after the training to help them develop messaging for media outreach, and other communications assets that can be used on social media and digital channels, including but not limited to, creation of short videos, graphic design, editorial and content creation.
The individual is expected to be contracted on a consultancy basis for a maximum of 30 days between July and September. There may be a possibility of extension.
Scope of work
- The consultant will be involved in planning the training curricula and facilitating a regional three-day in-person communications workshop in July 2021 and post-workshop debrief. The planned workshop will follow all relevant COVID-19 health protocols.
- Develop a messaging framework for youth activists.
- Work with youth activists that have undergone the training to develop communications assets between July-September 2021.
- Lessons learned document (final consultancy report).
- Professional or lived experience in a communications, creative or a related field.
- Demonstrable experience in working with individuals or organisations to deliver effective communications.
- Experience in delivering training on effective communications strategies, including digital communications and media skills.
- Relevant experience to lead storytelling workshops through various artistic forms.
- Spoken Kiswahili to a working level.
- Experience working in East Africa.
- Willingness and ability to travel within Kenya/Tanzania over the course of the consultancy.
At Girls Not Brides we are committed to the wellbeing, empowerment and rights of children, and to safeguarding children from harm in all of our activities. Girls Not Brides aims to promote an environment of trust and understanding where the welfare of children is paramount. You will adhere to the Girls Not Brides Child Safeguarding Policy and its Code of Conduct and report any concerns relating to the safeguarding of children in accordance with agreed procedures.
How to apply
Applications close on
25th June 2021
To apply, please visit: https://girlsnotbrides.livevacancies.co.uk/#/job/details/11?target=frame
Please include the following:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Accompanying cover letter that includes:
- Description of relevant previous experience
Proposal document that includes:
- Client references or evidence of similar work done
- Proposed daily or weekly rate