Job title: Community Mobilization Advisor
Reports to: Country Director and Chief of Party
Employment Type: Full-Time /Fixed-Term
Open to Expatriates and TCNs: No
Location: Project office in Dar es Salaam (with up 60% of in-country travel)
IMA World Health (IMA) is a member of Corus International, a consortium of organizations working together to deliver holistic, durable solutions to the interconnected challenges of poverty, poor health outcomes, and climate change. Established in 1960, IMA has a long history of successfully collaborating with governments, faith-based organizations, national partners, and private sector to provide quality healthcare for the most vulnerable. Today, IMA builds the capacities of local partners and governments to strengthen existing health systems, prevent and treat diseases, improve maternal and child health, promote nutrition and WASH, respond to sexual and gender-based violence and contribute to global health security. IMA manages an average of $100 million annually and has worked with a wide range of key donors, including USAID, MCC, FCDO (formerly DFID), UNICEF, UNFPA, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the World Bank
In Tanzania, Corus member organizations bring a strong programmatic history dating back to 1965, and IMA’s current work in Tanzania reflects an expanding, comprehensive public health program with deep-rooted partnerships that have addressed wide-ranging challenges such as NTDs; nutrition and WASH; cervical cancer; HIV prevention and treatment; and maternal and child health.
IMA is seeking a Community Mobilization Advisor for Public Sector System Strengthening (PS3+) Project in Tanzania. The Community Mobilization Advisor will be responsible for providing technical direction for community engagement activities, ensuring project outcomes related to improved community participation are achieved. She/he will be responsible in executing capacity building, training, and extension activities related to community mobilization in collaboration with Nutrition and Agriculture Advisor and other PS3+ team members. The candidate will report to the Chief of Party and Country Director for IMA.
1. Serve as the technical lead on all community outreach and mobilization activities in Tanzania.
2. Develop and implement a creative community mobilization approach to match the project core strategy of empowering health facility and school Facility Governing Committees (FGCs) and other sector service delivery governance structures designed to engage communities.
3. Oversight on planning at the District Council and community levels to increase citizen engagement activities in Tanzania
4. Strengthen District and community level to bolster the effectiveness of citizens engagement and social accountability in the provision of quality services and public financial management
5. Prepare public outreach and awareness strategy/action plan with specific methodologies for the project in order to mobilize and building capacities of local communities and enhance their participation and collaboration.
6. Create and strengthen community health and social welfare supporting systems so women, youth and children have increased access to high-quality health and social welfare services within their communities.
7. Lead the development of project work plans, ensuring that targets are met, and project outcomes are achieved.
8. Contribute detailed and accurate written inputs to fulfill project technical and financial reporting requirements.
9. Coordinate with partners, government agencies, international and local NGOs, schools, and community-based organizations on project activities as needed.
Required Qualifications, Education, and Work Experience:-
1. Degree or equivalent in International Development, Sociology, Education or other related field.
2. Minimum of ten years of progressively responsible, relevant experience working with communities on social mobilization activities and issues related to agriculture or nutrition in Tanzania
3. Minimum of five years of experience with USAID-funded projects (ideally, in a senior technical position) highly preferred.
4. Demonstrated ability to design and implement strategies that employ evidence-based approaches to meet project targets, especially under rigorous timelines.
5. Experience working and collaborating with diverse sets of stakeholders, including local partners, government officials, donor representatives, and international staff.
6. Ability to respond on short notice and plan and execute several activities at once.
7. Ability to work under pressure, as part of a team or independently, and meet deadlines consistently.
8. Proven leadership, inter-personal and cross-cultural skills, and ability to build and motivate diverse teams.
9. Excellent in English and Swahili both oral and written communication skills.
Note: The closing date for this position is Thursday the 27 October 2020 , only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Please apply via this Brighter Monday online application only, other forms of applications will not be considered. We are a corruption-free organization please do not be tempted and approached on it.
Responsible for providing technical direction for community engagement activities, ensuring project outcomes related to improved community participati