Community Health Coordinator
Jobs at:Medical Teams International
Deadline of this Job:
18 January 2022
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Community Systems Strengthening (CSS) promotes the development of informed, capable and coordinated communities and community-based organizations, groups and structures. CSS involves a range of community actors, enabling them to contribute as equal partners alongside others to achieve sustainability of health interventions at the community level.
The Community Health Coordinator collaborates with Medical Teams Tanzania field staff and headquarters program staff, local and international partners, to strengthen the Tanzania CSS programs. Together with program teams, the Community Health Coordinator develops a common agenda and draft strong project designs for proposals and grants. S/he provides input into country strategy development and multi-year plans and will remain knowledgeable of best practices in community health programming.
• Provides technical leadership in the effective implementation and development of Community Systems Strengthening.
• Promotes the engagement of participant communities in the joint assessment, design, and monitoring of health services.
• Establishes frequent engagements with stakeholders including community members, local authorities, partner organizations, other NGOs or government officials as needed for effective collaboration in the development and delivery of community health interventions
• Defines quality assurance, standards and adherence to CHW protocols, monitoring compliance with international and Tanzania MOH standards.
• Coordinates with Ministry of Health, INGOs and UN organizations in support of national capacity building programs for improved community health outcomes
• Develops data collection tools and systems and reporting requirements to meet Medical Teams and donor goals
• Creates training structures and methodologies for Medical Teams staff and partners to ensure CHWs reach households with preventative and basic curative health and hygiene information and services and are linked to referral facilities.
• Implements M&E systems to ensure that community health status is monitored in order to respond with evidence-based action.
• Strengthens integration of community health activities with local primary health care system through the development of strong referral mechanisms and CHW health promotion activities at health facilities.
• Promotes CHW staff development through mentoring, coaching and technical guidance.
• Ensures program quality by integrating best practices into project design and proposals.
• Support safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
• Documents results and lessons learned for broader dissemination.
• Represents Medical Teams in host country and regional community health forums.
• Reviews and provides technical approval for all donor reports
• Identifies and establishes partnerships to enhance Medical Teams CSS programs through preparation of concept papers, project documents, and other material to develop or promote coordination/project activities.
• Ensure safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
A community participation professional with a master’s degree in public health or equivalent and relevant field experience in community strengthening.
• At least two years of working at CHW supervisory level for an international NGO, government, or the private sector.
• CHW programming experience at community level.
• Experience with humanitarian programming in humanitarian settings preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Excellent understanding of the humanitarian Health sector; knowledge related to maternal, newborn and child survival an advantage.
• Strong report writing skills and ability to compile narrative sections for proposals and donor reports.
• Competency in basic data management and epidemiological analysis.
• Excellent cross-cultural skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels.
• Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
• Skilled at creating and monitoring budgets and making appropriate adjustments as necessary.
• Highly skilled at managing projects to satisfactory completion.
• Moderately skilled with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel software.
• Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets.
• Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international, stressful and security-sensitive environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
• Strong commitment to building the capacity of national staff and partners with willingness to adopt participatory and consultative approaches.
• Proven ability to build/work in a team and to manage and motivate personnel and to draw on individual skills to advance agendas and problem solve.
• Ability to prioritize tasks.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret administrative reports, technical procedures, or government regulations.
• Ability to write reports in English; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, counterparts and government representatives.
• Proven representation and advocacy skills with capacity to represent the organization in a professional manner to donors, volunteers, and the public.
• Ability to work independently and in challenging environments.
• Ability to work collaboratively with others
• Ability to travel within East Africa region.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
Tools and Equipment Used:
Requires frequent use of personal computer, including word processing, database programs; calculator, telephone, copy machine and fax machine.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; climb stairs; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands, and arms.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
• This job requires 70% of their time in the field and 30% in the office with frequent trips to local and rural communities where there are limited amenities and exposure to heat or rainy conditions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Tanzania office is basic but accommodates all requirements for the work to be done. Resources at times may be scarce due to the remoteness of the town. Internet and electricity are not reliable. The climate is such that computers and data should be frequently backed up to prevent the loss of data.
NOTE: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department, or organization. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by Medical Teams International as the requirements of the job change.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
All interested applicants who meet the criteria should email their application letter and CV in either PDF or Word only, including three work related referee to: [email protected]
Indicate your expected salary, current/previous salary, and notice period at the bottom of your CV.
Indicate clearly the position applied for in the subject line” Community Health Coordinator”.
Application Deadline: 18th of January 2022 at 1700HRS.