Community Based HIV and AIDS Services (CBHS) and Linkage Advisor
Jobs at:Henry Jackson Foundation Medical Research International
Deadline of this Job:
31 August 2020
Within Tanzania , Mbeya , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Community Based HIV and AIDS Services (CBHS) and Linkage Advisor
Reports to: Associate Director, Clinical services
Location: Mbeya HQs
The CBHS and Linkage Advisor will serve as the primary technical expert and contact for HJFMRI/MHRP Community Based HIV and AIDS Services (CBHS) activities at the organizational and community level. S/he will facilitate the development, modification, and/or adaptation of appropriate CBHS strategies, with the goal of improving clinical and community access to and use of services. The CBHS and Linkage Advisor is expected to collaborate across technical areas to strengthen the continuum of response from HIV Prevention, Testing to Care and Treatment. The incumbent will be responsible for liaising with local and national Organizations, including faith based organizations to facilitate the expansion of CBHS services at the health facility level and in the community settings. The CBHS and Linkage Advisor will build the capacity of local partner organizations and HJFMRI/MHRP staff to deliver high-quality CBHS services in the Southern Highlands of Tanzania. .
Duties and responsibilities
Program Quality and Management:
• Provide technical leadership in the development of approaches and strategies for mobilizing partner organizations and communities for the establishment or strengthening of CBHS strategies and activities;
• Liaise and consult regularly with the relevant authorities, partner organizations, Health facilities, community leaders and beneficiaries in relation to the planning, design and implementation of HJFMRI/MHRP and partner CBHS activities;
• Develop integrated, innovative and gender sensitive interventions for the provision of comprehensive CBHS services;
• Build the capacity of the partner organizations and government technical staff to deliver high-quality CBHS services;
• Provide on-going support through coaching, supervision visits and mentoring to partner organizations and WRP staff in implementing CBHS activities;
• Document, consolidate and disseminate knowledge and information regarding best practices, lessons learned, and proven approaches both within and outside of HJFMRI/MHRP;
• Ensure quality implementation, achievement of results for activities within the HJFMRI project and within partner projects, and collaborate with other program departments to ensure effective teamwork;
• Collaborate with partners to develop quality assurance (QA) mechanisms and ensures that QA mechanisms are in place and functional;
• Facilitate and provide overall leadership and sound advice at facility and community settings and improve client adherence to ART and retention Care and Treatment services
• Develop annual work plans, budgets and reports for CBHS activities; and ensure integration of project activities into wider WRP annual plans and the Outreach Department work plans;
• Extend technical support to local partners in preparing and submitting timely monthly, quarterly, semi- annual and annual reports;
• Travel within the Southern Highlands for the purpose of program management, continued service development, implementation and evaluation of service delivery.
• Liaise with the M&E Department to ensure that CBHS components are functional (e.g. clarity of indicators, quality of M&E data collection tools, data quality and reporting).
• Liaise with the Clinical Department to ensure that clients enrolled into ART are linked to CBHS to improve adherence to ART and retention to treatment
• Support Associate Directors Community and Facility Team especially in identifying areas requiring policy influence and support implementation and development of long term plan
• Participate as a member of the national CBHS Technical Working Groups, HIV USG Tanzania Team providing technical expertise in the area of CBHS activities ensuring programs are in line with the USG HIV and AIDS in-country strategy;
• Develops and maintain good working relationships with other partners, governmental and non-governmental, within the five regions;
• Provides monthly reports to the Associate Director, Community Services ;
Program Compliance/Financial Management Support:
• Provide financial management support to Finance Department on CBHS and Linkage Program budget through monthly/quarterly wire Forecast and budget modifications as required.
• Work closely with Finance Department to ensure effective use of program funds.
• Conduct periodic follow up with implementing partners to support efforts with issues of overall program efficiency, effectiveness, accountability and compliance.
Coordination and Communication:
• Ensure participation of implementing partners in relevant coordination meetings at the district, regional, national and international levels.
• Work closely with relevant support teams (procurement and finance) to ensure systems are in place that will enable timely receipt and distribution of all program materials.
• Maintain strong communication within the program team, Technical Advisors, regional staff, with in-country stakeholders, and including with other sister HJFMRI offices as appropriate.
• Perform other duties as requested by Outreach Director and support required by the general program.
• Master’s Degree in Nursing with Postgraduate training in Public Health and/or Counseling, psychology, sociology or other HIV and AIDS related discipline.
• Knowledge and skills in organizing health campaigns including CBHS desirable
• At least Five years of progressive responsibilities in HIV program management and technical experience in clinic and community based settings, preferably in an outreach context;
• At least Four years of experience with CBHS programs;
• Demonstrable experience in developing health education materials a plus;
• Knowledge of the current developments and best practices in the field of HIV and AIDS prevention, globally and in Tanzania
• Proven skills in analysis, communication, networking, advocacy and negotiation.
• Fluency in English and Kiswahili required.
• Ability to use standard software applications (Word, Power Point, Excel, etc.)
• Good communication skills; ability to troubleshoot; ability to work independently and supervise others.
• Must be diplomatic and culturally sensitive, with excellent communications skills.
• 50% travel required
• Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
• Diplomacy, tact and strong negotiation skills
• Self-motivated and able to work without close supervision
• Able to prioritize work, multi-task, and meet deadlines
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to the
Human Resources and Administration Manager,
P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya or
sent through e-mail to [email protected]
To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. “CVs should not include any reference to marital status, birthplace, or tribal or religious affiliations. Any CVs containing this information will not be considered for employment”. Applications that are hand-delivered will not be accepted. The deadline for submitting the application is August 31st , 2020.
HJFMRI is an equal opportunity employer; women are highly encouraged to apply.