Please note: prior applicants should not reapply
Save the Children has been working in Tanzania for more than 30 years. We are working with the government, local organizations and other international agencies to reduce child malnutrition, improve new-born and maternal health, support and strengthen early childhood development and primary education systems. We strengthen child protection systems for vulnerable children, promote children’s participation and contribution to policy and resource allocation for services which concern them, support, and respond to emergencies.
Our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
The position is responsible for managing the implementation of Child Protection Programme activities in Kibondo area and to represent and advocate for Save the Children’s work and organizational priorities in child protection with a wide range of external parties including government representatives, communities, donors, UN and other humanitarian agencies operating in the area. Provide leadership and guidance to the programme team and specific line management of Child Protection staff.
Contract Duration :?1 Year, renewable
No of Vacancies: One (1) Position
Reporting to: Refugee Response Program Manager
Location : Kibondo – Kigoma
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Manage all aspects of the implementation of the child protection programme in Kibondo and ensure the quality of child protection programming and adherence to best practice standards for the sector.
Ensure coherence of programme activities with Save the Children’s Humanitarian Response Strategy
- Link programme activities to the organisation’s country and global strategies.
- Ensure that programme activities contribute to Save the Children programme and advocacy priorities
- Identify and build links with other programme sectors, ensuring that issues for child protection are raised and addressed
Ensure programme activities in the operational area are well managed, and monitored to fulfil the requirements of approved Save the Children Thematic quality standards and Annual Operational Plans.
- Work with staff to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and documentation of programme activities.
- Produce timely reports, including monthly internal progress reports, and all required reports to the donor agencies.
- Ensure that the CP work in different awards are Implemented on timely manner per the DIP
- Supervise and lead all Child Protection and MHPSS activists.
- Coordinate with Humanitarian Support Service Coordinator and Supply Chain departments to ensure effective use and delivery of Save the Children resources. Oversee and ensure effective budget management through monitoring of budget Vis-a- Vis actual spending linked to the detailed implementation plan and the procurement plan.
Overall management responsibility for all Area Office Child Protection staff.
- Lead and motivate the team to ensure effective implementation of programme activities, including by providing technical support to ensure programme quality
- Ensure there are regular staff team meetings
- Ensure key problems are brought to the attention of relevant operational and technical staff for discussion and review
- Monitor and support child protection staff in implementing Save the Children project management systems and guidelines to ensure the smooth implementation of approved activities.
- Ensure appropriate induction, training and follow-up in grants/financial management, logistics and security guidelines, monitoring and evaluation procedures and guidelines.
Capacity building and technical guidance on child protection
- Conduct regular monitoring visits to project activities sites.
- Assist the staff in identifying technical support required from technical support staff (including from Save the Children members) in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programme activities.
- Work with with Child Protection Specialist and others as appropriate to address technical gaps.
- Identify, analyse and engage in advocacy opportunities to influence key donors’ plans and policies to promote attention to and sufficient resources for awareness raising on the Humanitarian Codes of Conduct and the IASC Action Plan to prevent the sexual exploitation of women and children.
- Participate in mid-term or final evaluations and ensure lessons contribute to the development of future CP programme work.
Representation, Coordination and Leadership on Child Protection in internal and external forums
- Participate in and strengthen interagency coordination on child protection, co-leading the Child Protection working group in Kibondo if tenured: guide the agenda and ensure that the critical protection needs of children are profiled, through close liaison with Government, UNICEF and other UN agencies, civil society and other stakeholders.
- Close monitoring of developments around child protection in the refugee context, particularly around voluntary repatriation, and provision of strategic advice to the response and country office leadership on Save the Children’s programming and response options.
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
- Manage performance of direct reports in the work area through:
- Build the capacity of staff to monitor/ manage grants and awards as well as understand and implement compliance requirements from donors, Save the Children and/or the Government of Kenya.
- Maintain clear communication with both the functional (direct) line manager and the technical manager to foster a smooth working relation under existing matrix structure.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant discipline (social work/social sciences or equivalent).
- Minimum of five years relevant work experience in child protection programmes.
- Previous experience of managing a child protection programme in a complex emergency/refugee context.
- Demonstrable experience of using current quality standards and guidelines for child protection programmes.
- Strong planning and organisational skills to meet programme goals.
- Experience of managing the programme cycle, including assessments, proposal and report writing, Monitoring and evaluation.
- Solid knowledge base and practical experience in community based child protection approaches, case management and child participation methodologies.
- Strong experience and skills in management of staff from different backgrounds.
- Experience in building relationships, fostering interagency coordination and experience of representing an organisation to external parties.
- Strong self-starter, able to set up and manage child protection programmes.
- Experience in working in an insecure and politically sensitive environment.
- Commitment to Save the Children’s Child Protection Policy.
- Strong computer skills, including the use of email and the internet.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Understanding of Eastern Africa and the Great lakes and the dynamics of the conflicts in the region.
- International working experience of CP programming in refugee camp contexts.
- Experience of rolling out Child Protection Policies within organisational structures.
- Working knowledge of local language (Kiswahili or Kirundi)
How to Apply.
Please read the full details of the position at https://tanzania.savethechildren.net/careers and apply as instructed. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for Interview.
Application closing Date: 26 th March 2021
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy. All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
?Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process
The deadline for submitting the application is 26 March 2021