Chief of Staff
Jobs at:African Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO)
Deadline of this Job:
24 January 2022
Within Tanzania , Harare , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
BACKGROUND OF THE ORGANIZATION
The African Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO) (hereinafter referred to as “the Organization”), is an Intergovernmental Organization, which was established at Lusaka, Zambia, in 1976 by an Agreement concluded under the auspices of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
The Organization was created, inter alia, to promote the development of Intellectual Property (IP) laws appropriate to the needs of its members, establish common services and training schemes, and assist its members in the acquisition and advancement of technology and the evolving of common views on IP matters.
The Organization grants and administers IP titles on behalf of the Member States and provides IP information to its clientele in the form of search services, publications and awareness creation. Membership of the Organization is open to all Member States of the African Union (AU).
The present members of the Organization are: Botswana, Kingdom of Eswatini, The Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Kingdom of Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Uganda,
United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. (Total: 21 states)
The organs of the Organization are:
the Council of Ministers, consisting of Ministers who are responsible for the administration of intellectual property matters in the respective Member States;
the Administrative Council consisting of heads of offices dealing with the administration of intellectual property, in the respective Member States; and
the Secretariat (the Office of ARIPO) headed by the Director General as the Chief Executive Officer of the Organization.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Applications are invited from suitable candidates to be considered for appointment to the post of Chief of Staff of the Organization, the full description of which is as follows:
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Duration of Appointment: Fixed-term contract of five (5) years (renewable, subject to satisfactory performance)
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Provide support to the Director General in a manner that fulfils the ARIPO mandate, advances its role and functions and best serves its Member States, Cooperating Partners and Users. Oversee communications and protocol portfolios of the Organization to best serve the Member States, Cooperating Partners, Users and other relevant stakeholders. The Chief of Staff’s key job functions shall be as follows:
• Ensure active and open communication to and from the Director General’s office, coordinate executive meetings activations by ensuring vison of Director General is at the centre of operations of the Organization and keep the Director General informed of critical issues requiring intervention and decision;
• Maintain proactive liaison with the relevant Government authorities, Diplomatic Missions and International Organizations liaison between the organs of Organization and office of the Director General including the host country;
• International affairs, Member State relations and other institutional partnership management in liaison with the Legal and International Cooperation Division;
• Management of internal and external communications, media, diplomatic and public relations;
• Liaison between the organs of the Organization and the Office of the Director General;
• Provide advice on all protocol requirements, supervise and provide guidance on the preparation and coordination of official visits and travel by the Director General, staff and visitors;
• Participate in and follow up on external engagements, interventions and partnerships with the Member States, potential Member States, Cooperating Partners, Users and other relevant stakeholders in liaison with the Legal and International Cooperation Division;
• Ensure comprehensive planning, on time delivery, and exceptional execution of the Governing Bodies of the Organization, while managing contingencies, changes and evolving needs and expectations;
• Provide direction and oversight for preparation of quality institutional publications and working documents;
• Oversee the development and implementation of communications, marketing and public affairs strategies to raise the profile and visibility of ARIPO on the continent and beyond;
• Manage the preparation of and review relevant research, background papers, talking points, speeches, correspondence, reports and official statements for the Director General;
• Receive visitors, perform representational functions, organize and attend meetings and official functions on behalf of the Director General;
• Maintain and coordinate an effective information system, ensuring the Director General’s competing demands i.e., official and unofficial are effectively managed; and (n) Perform any other duties and tasks as may be assigned.
Minimum qualifications and experience required:
• Master’s Degree in Law/International Relations/Business Administration/Public Administration/Strategic Management/Social Sciences/Sciences, and any first Degree from a reputable University; and,
• A minimum of 7 years post qualification progressively responsible management experience. Experience in a similar international organization is desirable. Or
• Bachelor’s Degree in Law/International Relations/Business Administration/Public Administration/Strategic Management/Social Sciences/Sciences; and,
• A minimum of 10 years post qualification progressively responsible management experience. Experience in a similar international organization is desirable.
Role and mission critical competencies required:
• Professionalism: experience in diplomacy; project management, facilitation, analysis, advice and reporting
• Proven track record in leadership, strategic planning and strategy execution
• Mastery in corporate governance, change management, creativity and transformation
• Strong communication, interpersonal and analytical skills
• Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and make significant decisions and recommendations on resource allocation and utilisation
• Planning and organizing
• Managing performance and team leadership
• Knowledge of Intellectual Property will be an added advantage
Nationality: To be eligible for appointment, candidates must be nationals of a Member State of the Organization.
Age: Minimum 35 years at the time of application.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Conditions of employment shall be subject to the ARIPO Staff Rules and Procedures or be determined by the Administrative Council of the Organization.
Salary and allowances on first appointment shall be those applicable to Grade D1 Step 1 of the ARIPO salary scales of the professional category.
Base Salary: US$66,990 per annum.
Post Adjustment Allowance: Depending on the rise and fall in value of the United States dollar, a post adjustment index which is presently 56.4% of base salary is applied as a cost of living allowance.
Dependency Allowances: US$1,800 per year for a dependent child. Maximum number of children three (3).
Other benefits include:
• Payment of travel and removal expenses;
• Once-off installation grant;
• Education grant of US$9,000 per year for each child, up to a maximum of three children;
• Housing allowance;
• Contributory medical aid scheme;
• Annual leave of 34 working days; and
• Paid home leave every two years.
The appointment is subject to a satisfactory United Nations type medical examination to be conducted by an ARIPO nominated medical practitioner.
APPLICATIONS AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS:
Applicants should submit an application letter together with: a detailed curriculum vitae indicating pertinent personal data, and names, professional designations and addresses of two persons from whom evidence-based, professional references can be obtained; certified copies of relevant academic and professional certificates; police clearance; and a passport size photograph.
Applicants should indicate in their personal data, the following:
• family name and first names;
• date and place of birth;
• nationality and detailed present address;
• full names, relationship, gender and date of birth of dependents;
• language abilities both written and spoken;
• educational background (main subjects, institutions, diplomas or degrees and marks of merit;
• employment record (present or most recent employment, previous employment); and (viii) any other relevant information.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Applications addressed to the Director General of ARIPO and saved as a single pdf file should be submitted by email only at [email protected] not later than 24th January 2022. The reference to be indicated on the email subject is “Chief of Staff”.
Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the ARIPO Office on official letterhead at which stage they shall be requested to submit a certificate of evaluation/accreditation of their Degree qualifications from their respective National Qualifications Authority.
ARIPO does not charge any fee and neither does it use any employment agents at any stage of the recruitment process.