The USAID-funded Tanzania Maji na Usafi wa Mazingira Activity (MUM) activity in Tanzania, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development, is currently accepting expressions of interest for a Chief of Party. This position will be located in the main office in Iringa, Tanzania.
MUM is a five year (August 2021 – July 2026) $25 million activity implemented by Tetra Tech that will expand and sustain WASH services through improved drinking water service, increased access to WASH finance, improved market-based sanitation, and strengthened water resources management. The COP is responsible for the overall implementation of USAID/MUM, supervises multiple senior positions, and coordinates directly with USAID and Tanzanian government institutions.
* Provide vision and overall leadership to a multi-disciplinary team of technical experts including international subcontractors in the fields of WASH and sustainable water services, access to finance, market-based sanitation, water resources stewardship, gender and youth inclusion.
* Serve as primary point of contact with USAID/Tanzania to facilitate technical, financial, and administrative implementation of project activities.
* Liaise with Tanzania government officials, local community stakeholders, basin water boards, water user associations, civil society, academia, private sector, and other USAID-funded activities.
* Oversee preparation and submission of technical and financial reports and other deliverables required by USAID/Tanzania.
* Collaborate closely with home office staff to ensure compliance of contracts, finance, and operations related issues.
* Manage the overall project budget including forecast expenditure reports and update the project budget to mitigate cost overruns.
* Representation, Outreach Promotion and Coordination of the project and Tetra Tech.
* Master’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline with 10 years’ experience OR Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant engineering discipline with 15 years’ experience. A relevant discipline includes civil, water resources, infrastructure, construction, etc.
* At least 10 years (with Master’s degree) or 15 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of work experience providing technical assistance to water/sanitation service delivery, water resources/environmental management, institutional strengthening, or related activities.
* At least 8 years of progressively responsible leadership/senior management experience on donor-funded or related projects. Experience in Tanzania and on international donor funded projects preferred.
* Demonstrated experience in project management, strategic planning using science-based information, budgeting, adaptive management, and supervision, team building and leadership of teams greater than 25+ persons.
* Familiarity with the political, social, and cultural context/challenges of working in East/Southern Africa.
* Strong communications and interpersonal skills with evidence of ability to productively interact with the client and a wide range and levels of organizations and stakeholders, including high-level government officials. Strong ability managing disagreements with client, project subcontractors, and other key stakeholders in a professional manner.
* Subject matter expertise in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM), WASH governance, livelihoods, Public-Private Partnerships, and private sector development to provide WASH services in urban and rural settings.
* Outstanding management and reporting skills.
* Strong Microsoft Office skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
* Fluency in written and oral English required. Functional capacity or higher in Swahili highly desired.
* Possess and maintain active Tanzanian professional and consulting engineering license registrations for the life of the activity.
* Financial and personal integrity.
* Knowledge of USAID rules and regulations highly desired.
* Tanzanian citizen.
* Willingness to work/live in Iringa, Tanzania.
How to apply
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the on-line process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological forma]
Please indicate where you saw Tetra Tech’s IDS ad posted.
Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. No phone calls will be accepted.
At Tetra Tech, health and safety play a vital role in our success. Tetra Tech’s employees work together to comply with all applicable health & safety practices and protocols, including health orders and regulations related to COVID-19 that are mandated by local, state, and federal authorities.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees – 21,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 450 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.