Chemonics seeks a chief of party (COP) for the anticipated USAID Tanzania Private Sector Strengthening Activity in Tanzania. The purpose of this four-year activity is to provide technical assistance services necessary for the successful implementation of USAID/Tanzania’s Private Sector Strengthening Activity to increase economic opportunities for private sector youth and improve the business enabling environment for youth entrepreneurs, youth-led startups, and youth-led businesses, particularly within the agriculture sector and related value chains.
The COP will be responsible for providing overall management and direction to this activity and for supervising all key personnel. S/he must be an experienced activity manager who has successfully managed an activity of similar size and complexity. S/he must have demonstrated experience working with the private sector, preferably in Tanzania, to advance economic opportunities for youth. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall leadership, management, and technical direction for the Activity and serve as the primary liaison with USAID on strategic, managerial, and technical matters, including responsibility for making key decisions and solving programmatic problems in a timely manner
- Oversee all contractual and budgetary aspects of program management
- Ensure that work plan, MEL, and reporting efforts are aligned with contract requirements, project objectives, and USAID guidance
- Professionally represent Chemonics to USAID, the Government of Tanzania, Tanzanian counterparts, local partners, and other program stakeholders
- Monitor and, where necessary, modify programmatic assistance to achieve results; ensure that relevant, productive, and complementary activities are implemented effectively
- Ensure the activity meets high standards for performance and integrity that comply with applicable regulations and Chemonics policies
- Master’s degree in international development, business, organizational development, or other field relevant to this Scope of Work
- Minimum ten (10) years of relevant, senior-level professional experience managing and implementing partnerships with the private sector to foster economic development with a minimum of five (5) years of experience in sub-Saharan Africa
- Five (5) years of demonstrated experience managing and supervising staff
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with the private sector, youth organizations/representatives, government officials, donors, and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in the English language
How to apply
This position is contingent upon award. Applications must be submitted by December 31 st , 2021. Early applications encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics. Military veterans, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Chemonics International is monitoring COVID-19 activity around the world. The health and wellbeing of our staff is of the utmost importance to us, and we continue to hire for all open roles with interviewing and on-boarding done virtually. Our new hires and current staff working from our Washington, DC, Arlington, VA, and London offices will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.