Business Development Advisor
Deadline of this Job:
15 August 2021
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, July 30, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Business Development Advisor
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
Urban Sanitation and Hygiene for Health and Development is a multi-country programme that works with municipal governments to develop inclusive, safe and sustainable city-wide sanitation services. SNV Tanzania is seeking an experienced WASH professional to be part of the SNV Tanzania team (already comprised of a Programme Manager, an Urban Sanitation & Hygiene Engineer, a Governance and BCC Advisor, a Junior WASH Advisor, a Project Field Assistant and a Communications Intern) of this multi-country programme.
The programme integrates insights in WASH governance, investment and finance, behavioural change communication, business models and management of sanitation services. It will engage private sector, civil society organizations, users and local authorities to improve public health and development opportunities in their city.
The programme serves as a framework for countries to develop their work as well as a basis for
exchange and knowledge development between countries. The programme has a strong learning component involving teams and partners.
The key components are:
• BCC and awareness for safe urban sanitation and hygiene
• Safe and affordable (consumer) services
• WASH Governance
• Smart finance and investment
• Safe treatment, disposal and re-use
Overview of the Position
Business Development Advisor - Lead and manage the activities associated with achieving the
desired market development result: Increased availability of affordable and appropriate WASH products and services. Appropriate WASH products and services are often absent or only responding to the needs of the wealthiest consumer segments, thereby severely limiting the options to poorer consumers to practice safe WASH behaviours. The programme does not assume that any service provider or service model is better than any other; WASH service providers can be private, government or community managed.
By improving WASH service provision, the programme aims to increase the availability of environmentally sustainable (including climate resilient), affordable and appropriate products and services for all consumers, including those at the bottom of the pyramid.
This will be done with a three-fold strategy:
• Improving the performance of WASH service providers
• Increasing the availability of financial services for both service providers as well as users
• Developing new products and services for consumers at the bottom of the pyramid with attention for the different needs and interests of women and men and for the possible climate change effects.
• Business Development Expertise - Provide technical expertise for the development of market-based approaches, business models and financing options, that support effective urban WASH service provision in the target cities/municipalities
• Network and Relationship building - Build and maintain effective relationships, with the government and local authorities, other programme countries and external partners
• Marketing strategies – Lead the development of marketing strategies and approaches that stimulate demand for WASH services and increase the visibility of WASH businesses
• Capacity Building – Design and facilitate the roll-out of capacity building initiatives that support local service providers in both the public and private sectors
• Technical assistance management - Identify and manage experienced technical service providers and consultants – inlcuding developing ToRs with key deliverables and services required by the project, and manage agreements/contracts within the advisor’s control
• Workplan implementation - Ensure the timely implementation of the project work plan in the key areas of business development, as per the SNV project management procedures, accounting principles and donor requirements and contract
• Procurement, administrative & finance procedures - Collaboratively work with the support staff in procurement, admin and finance to comply with SNV procedures and ensure the smooth and timely implementation of processes and activities
• Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting - Formulate and implement M&E plans; ensure data collection and reporting for the project, including risk monitoring and donor reporting
• Knowledge, documentation and communication - Ensure full synthesis, analysis and documentation and sharing of project insights and results, and engage in research and studies that contribute to gathering evidence-based knowledge
• Other – Engage in any other activities discussed with the programme manager that contribute to SNV, the WASH Sector and the project’s success
Desired Skills and Attitude
• Relevant advanced academic qualification (preferably Masters) in market and/or business development or related field
• Relevant experience in business development linked to developing business models, implementing market-based approaches, and coaching, mentoring and nurturing Small and Medium Enterprises (5 years + experience)
• Relevant experience in WASH service delivery including previous experience in Urban Sanitation (preferably a min of 6 years’ experience)
• Proven track record in developing and testing business models and successfully translating them to achievement of results on the ground
• Experience of designing marketing approaches for triggering and sustaining supply and demand for services (preferably related to WASH)
• Experience of tracking and analysing National and local government budgets and doing social accountability Monitoring
• Strong relationship management skills with a range of actors including government officials and private sector representatives
• Solid facilitation skills with the ability to manage/guide technical assistance and build the capacity of local service providers
• Proficiency in English and Kiswahili required, both written and oral
• The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills
Reporting to: Programme Manager.
Contract Type: National contract
Contract Duration: One year
Expected Start Date: 1st September 2021
Working at SNV
SNV offers a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of Agriculture experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org .
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
The vacancy is for internal and external candidates and it will be active up to 15th August 2021. All applications should made be through Smart Recruiters on the following link: https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/SNV .
All application should include a detailed CV, academic certificates, a motivation cover letter and 3 referees.